• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

why do 7" drivers have better soundstage and presence than 5" drivers ?

JimA84

Reiterated, please show some data. Sorry for being maybe harsh. I don't intend to pick on you. But ethereal claims wont do it, as you may agree to as an engineer.

(Whilst listening to Alice Cooper's "Field Of Regret", boy ... 'was for teenies in the late 60s, early 70s ... wow!)
Alice Cooper is definitely a great artist. It was so amusing when he said he had traded his addition to alcohol for golf. ;)

Penelinfi

I would still argue that John Meyer of Newform Research has the right idea of producing a huge ribbon driver that can handle everything from 1KHz up with a two way crossover and the option of something like a JL sub to cover the lowest two octaves if desired.
16189839028752470.jpg

So like these Mark and Daniel speakers? 200Hz - 20kHz AMT, or higher high pass when using a bass module .
Apparently those woofers are meant to be fairly decent too. Would be interesting to get some of their speakers measured

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly felt the soundstage get bigger when going from 8330s to 8350s (5" -> 8"). It might be psychological of course, the size difference is such that I guess a blind test would have been required. In any case the difference is not night and day, more like if I tried I could hear the separate smaller speakers as sources and I cannot do that with the bigger ones.

It might have something to do with SPL capabilities: the 8330 just seemed somehow a bit "strained" when going much over 80dB even though they shouldn't have a problem there. So, if it isn't psychological my second bet is that the bigger speakers just sound better and when trying to figure out why my brains decided it's the "soundstage".

Andysu

Major Contributor
I certainly felt the soundstage get bigger when going from 8330s to 8350s (5" -> 8"). It might be psychological of course, the size difference is such that I guess a blind test would have been required. In any case the difference is not night and day, more like if I tried I could hear the separate smaller speakers as sources and I cannot do that with the bigger ones.

It might have something to do with SPL capabilities: the 8330 just seemed somehow a bit "strained" when going much over 80dB even though they shouldn't have a problem there. So, if it isn't psychological my second bet is that the bigger speakers just sound better and when trying to figure out why my brains decided it's the "soundstage".
those JBL 83 series surrounds are great THX you have good taste in THX

JBL 8330 mkI
2972848-e2e0f8a1-jbl-8330-professional-series-speakers-with-mounts.jpg

JBL 8330 mkII
ed32b60347c1a5c8f6187650a63f.jpeg

JBL 8330A

hq720.jpg

JBL 8350
8350_pair_z_original.jpg

Top Bottom