• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I could stir up some annoyance by pairing the 901s with some audioquest cables hehe
Sigh* That would be amazinggggg. Sarcasm* I have to admit when I was in my late teens attending a college study I bought a 4 channel Bose car speaker and amp system. It sounded fine but it was gutless and compared to the Japanese car audio gear it sounded horrible. :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They look very cool.
Well the two sets I heard must have been broken because they certainly didn’t sound like this! But Bose gets no respect generally from audiophiles.

Bose is too busy coining money from their demographic. Who can blame them if they laugh at us.

Last edited:

Mal

These terrors ... :
View attachment 230493
I tried to give them away, but nobody would take them. Enough to put you off HiFi for life. Now they are used as sacrificial speakers for intermittent fault amplifier testing. I was able to give away the tower version to my Dad. He uses them as pedestal stands for bookshelf speakers.
Ouch! I thought A Jones was supposed to be "the man". What was wrong with them? I'm not happy with my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s, but I will not condemn them completely until I'm sure my amp (Aiyima A07) and Dac (Topping 10s) really are as good as people say... and on that note, I'll start a "what are the best small, budget speakers you ever heard?" thread...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh* That would be amazinggggg. Sarcasm* I have to admit when I was in my late teens attending a college study I bought a 4 channel Bose car speaker and amp system. It sounded fine but it was gutless and compared to the Japanese car audio gear it sounded horrible. :D
I had a factory Bose system in my Acura Legend. It was horrible but it didn’t stop me from buying the car.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will have to name 3 - Paradigm Studio (forgot which one, the treble was ear piercing), Audionote some garbage speaker at Ny Audio show, and a Zu audio something.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three in my case:-
Linn Kan, Lowther Acousta and Audionote, whatever was their top 'speaker some years ago. All three were nasty, coloured and unpleasant to listen to. They were 'different', so I suppose they could be sold on the basis that they're right and everyone else is wrong.
Can't say which models, but I have heard several different Lowthers and they all have a distinctive sound. Obviously some people like THAT sound... not sure why they would.
It is so extremely wrong sounding that there is something going on besides marketing hype.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Lowther drivers are funny --- they can sound scarily real with some recordings (e.g., well recorded acapella choir) but unbearably shrill and unbalanced with (most) others. They also require fairly exotic alignments because the Qts is so low.
Given their (high) cost, I've never had much interest in actually ever owning any of them.

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Lowther drivers are funny --- they can sound scarily real with some recordings (e.g., well recorded acapella choir) but unbearably shrill and unbalanced with (most) others. They also require fairly exotic alignments because the Qts is so low.
Given their (high) cost, I've never had much interest in actually ever owning any of them.
They have breakups associated with the whizzer cone. If you don't set them off they are quite good as long as you don't have any excursion from bass frequencies (then Doppler Effect distortion causes them to sound congested).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They have breakups associated with the whizzer cone. If you don't set them off they are quite good as long as you don't have any excursion from bass frequencies (then Doppler Effect distortion causes them to sound congested).
Good points.
One is reminded of the '98 cent Lowther tweak'*. :)
the ur-URL is long gone, but most of its content may be seen, e.g, here:

This wasn't me, but at least it illustrates the approach :)

1672869313620.png

source: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...t-lowther-mod-or-similar.413978/#post-5729123

komhst

I had a factory Bose system in my Acura Legend. It was horrible but it didn’t stop me from buying the car.
On the contrary, the factory Bose system on my mazda 3 sounds excellent!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Ouch! I thought A Jones was supposed to be "the man". What was wrong with them? I'm not happy with my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s, but I will not condemn them completely until I'm sure my amp (Aiyima A07) and Dac (Topping 10s) really are as good as people say... and on that note, I'll start a "what are the best small, budget speakers you ever heard?" thread...

Andrew is certainly capable of designing decent speakers if he's not budget-limited. That wasn't the case for the pioneer series. Both the BS 21 and 22 series, along with the center and towers, were hobbled by poor tweeters. The 21 tweeter had inadequate output, although the woofer driver and circuit were fine. The 22 tweeter was colored by a poorly executed wave guide. I sold hundreds of modded 22's, C22's, and 52's with replacement tweeters and crossovers.

Penelinfi

D08B8730-A410-4EBD-AFD5-2FC410C78C42.jpeg.b735a5c250483316e7d53bfed7c14c21.jpeg

Klausen Audio - I've heard white van speakers that are 5x better than these - just about everything is engineered to be the cheapest and least material possible.
One cap on tweeter. Tweeters have hardly any treble, maybe the neo coin has corroded?
"Midrange" not in separate chamber, run full range.
Even worse, middle woofer with real aluminium dust cap is run full range. EW
Lower woofer seems like a passive radiator.
All in the same ported enclosure made from 1/2" crapDF
Binding posts made from some cast alloy with hardly enough material for threads or to not snap.

As for Bose 901's, they actually sound ok with the EQ.

Beave

Major Contributor
Klausen Audio - I've heard white van speakers that are 5x better than these - just about everything is engineered to be the cheapest and least material possible.

Those ARE white van speakers, are they not? Clearly fake knock-offs of B&W speakers. Klausen Audio comes up in various lists of white van scam speakers.

sktn77a

Harbeth LS5/12a. Awful! Replaced a pair of Rogers LS3/5a. What a mistake!!!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like my Bose 901 Series VI's and I own the JBL 708p's and Magnepan MG-III. My 901's were new-old-stock units and I really do wonder how many 901's have been set up incorrectly or damaged?

I feel like I could stir up some annoyance by pairing the 901s with some audioquest cables hehe

The real way to stir up annoyance is showing everyone this Spinorama

Best case Bose 901 with perfect EQ versus Revel F328 un-EQ'd

In-room estimated response

newplot.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real way to stir up annoyance is showing everyone this Spinorama …
In-room estimated response…

Except…that’s not a Spin. It does not include a single component of a Spin - on axis and listening window FR, DI, and so on. It’s a “PIR,” a type of graph that has gotten popular on the internet because it’s simple, but does not provide much if any useful information on its own.

Put another way, showing that two speakers have the same PIR does not tell you anything about their respective sound quality.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like my Bose 901 Series VI's and I own the JBL 708p's and Magnepan MG-III. My 901's were new-old-stock units and I really do wonder how many 901's have been set up incorrectly or damaged?

The real way to stir up annoyance is showing everyone this Spinorama

Best case Bose 901 with perfect EQ versus Revel F328 un-EQ'd

View attachment 284632
You've only shown you can EQ something flat at one point in space. No one has questioned whether that can be done. It's not a Spinorama, and we have no idea what the polar pattern looks like. In an anechoic chamber, at that one point, the speakers will now sound alike.

Top Bottom