• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

MyCuriosity

AudioPrecision does not yet provide those types of measurements.
I am certain @dfuller was asking for other members' subjective feelings.

It is obvious that @badspeakerdesigner feelings that Vandersteen2C as being the "worst" can NOT even be disputed (or bickered over) by someone (such as myself) who is fully satisfied with them to the point of purchasing upgraded versions of the V2C, twice over.

Don't keep us in suspense and just tell us what you think are your worst!;)
In that case I will stick with my “worst” as the Klipsch Cornwall and all the Revel speakers I’ve listened.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In that case I will stick with my “worst” as the Klipsch Cornwall and all the Revel speakers I’ve listened.
Funny that you don’t like Revel despite the measurements and reputation. I’ve never heard them but a friend who always has nice systems (constantly changing) thinks they are blah.

MyCuriosity

Funny that you don’t like Revel despite the measurements and reputation. I’ve never heard them but a friend who always has nice systems (constantly changing) thinks they are blah.
I don’t like them because to me the speakers are boring. I can go on with reasons I don’t like the Revel speakers but boring sums it up. I appreciate the measurements but still, not for me.

MAB

Major Contributor
We had a pair of Goldmund Dialogue in the store I worked at.
c.jpg

Very odd sounding speakers.

jonfitch

I can see how someone wouldn't like them if they were listened by themselves for 2 channel music. Even Harman's own research says 35% of audio preference comes from the bass frequencies, and Revel's designs for their size are all pretty rolled off in the bass and really need to be integrated with subwoofers--or room EQ'd to boost the bass frequencies to a satisfactory level.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hm, not sure if I responded to this already but out of expensive speakers Alesis Elevate 6 have been among the worst. There's a hole in the sound, it's like the drives do not co-operate well at all.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We had a pair of Goldmund Dialogue in the store I worked at.
c.jpg

Very odd sounding speakers.
I have never heard these but Goldmund were one of the few high end companies using measurements in their designs from their beginnings. Their work on record players was techically, as opposed to pseudo-technical marketing BS still common with record players, way ahead of anybody else so I would have assumed they would be pretty accurate. Strange.
I did own speakers with that fibreglass Focal tweeter back then, early 1980s I suppose, Monitor Audio MA3, which I enjoyed for years. I replaced them with Yamaha NS1000s which I still have ;).

MAB

Major Contributor
I have never heard these but Goldmund were one of the few high end companies using measurements in their designs from their beginnings. Their work on record players was techically, as opposed to pseudo-technical marketing BS still common with record players, way ahead of anybody else so I would have assumed they would be pretty accurate. Strange.
I did own speakers with that fibreglass Focal tweeter back then, early 1980s I suppose, Monitor Audio MA3, which I enjoyed for years. I replaced them with Yamaha NS1000s which I still have ;).
Agree. These speakers were an anomaly.

Perhaps it's why it took me so long to remember them and even find a picture on the web. We sold their incredible turntables, I think the Goldmund distributor made us display the speakers and other gear. The were in the back of the store for years, super heavy and difficult to move. I think they were made out of bonded panels of cement-board.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the opportunity when I did a too drunk to drive sleep over at a buddy's place. He left Pink Floyd playing so that I could listen to his Dayton-Wrights. They were pretty bright and sharp sounding but it was very accurate and the acoustic guitar was phenomenal. Vocals came right through clear as can be. It was very low volume because they were sleeping but I got a 1 hour listening session by myself and I loved it.
Similar happened to me except with a Bose wave radio. Probably alcohol is the best audiophile product there is.

jbrown

Forum Donor
Klipsch has only ever made one really good sounding speaker line. It was called Palladium. Those were really good. The Klipschorn is also ok as is the RF-7, but the rest is pretty much trash.

Surprised to hear Revel. They are always ugly to look at, but (to me at least) they tend to be consistently excellent across the board.

Also surprised no one has mentioned Golden Ear. I have never heard a single one of their speakers that I would take for free, much less pay for.

But the biggest disappointment I think I've ever heard was the Radho D1.1 speakers. Those cost like $25,000.00 a pair and I thought they were broken. We were setting them up for a client who bought some other gear from us and we thought maybe we damaged them in storage or transport (though they looked immaculate). We brought them back to the office and compared them to B&W 805D, Wilson, and Sonus Faber bookshelf speakers. The Raidhos were so bad that we shipped them to the dealer that sold them to be checked out and he said they were perfect. We were shocked! Needless to say the client no longer owns them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MEGB1262

Hi there,
the worst speaker system ever heard was in a famous disco in Germany - the Aratta in Moers.
I remember only one detail, there was a bunch of piezo tweeters in each of the cabinets in the room with the dance floor.
Despite the bad sound it was one of the most remarkable discos of the 80's in the dark wave / punk sector.
I made it once to visit two consecutive days but i suspect that i have some tilt in my ears since then...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there was a bunch of piezo tweeter in each of the cabinets
Once upon a time those were everywhere. And nobody EQd down the huge peak at 4kHz. Screechy! They were actually hi-fi worthy with some attention to the crossover.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi there,
the worst speaker system ever heard was in a famous disco in Germany - the Aratta in Moers.
I remember only one detail, there was a bunch of piezo tweeters in each of the cabinets in the room with the dance floor.
Despite the bad sound it was one of the most remarkable discos of the 80's in the dark wave / punk sector.
I made it once to visit two consecutive days but i suspect that i have some tilt in my ears since then...
I think many places have the sound EQ'd for a place full of bodies, and anything less sounds b-a-d.

In other places, though, that may be what they are aiming for in the first place!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Worst speaker I ever heard?

The other guys. :p

Top Bottom