• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the BEST amp below $200? and $150

neuronestanco

I ask your opinion: do you think these tpa325x are better than the tda7498e? has anyone been able to compare them? I have a smsl sa-98e that has a really powerful sound that gives great satisfaction but that has always given me a feeling of having like a veil on the sound, so it is really worth changing it to an aiyima a07 with tpa3255, hoping that the sound is even more defined and brilliant ... what do you think?

Gphoton

I ask your opinion: do you think these tpa325x are better than the tda7498e? has anyone been able to compare them? I have a smsl sa-98e that has a really powerful sound that gives great satisfaction but that has always given me a feeling of having like a veil on the sound, so it is really worth changing it to an aiyima a07 with tpa3255, hoping that the sound is even more defined and brilliant ... what do you think?
Philosophically, you can have that fear of missing out (FOMO) on any piece of audio, independent of cost. What is important is if you enjoy the sound you have now, be happy. You can always spend more and then more and have lingering doubt that somehow you are missing something, even at the most expensive tiers. If you enjoy the sound you have, be happy and listen to music.

neuronestanco

Philosophically, you can have that fear of missing out (FOMO) on any piece of audio, independent of cost. What is important is if you enjoy the sound you have now, be happy. You can always spend more and then more and have lingering doubt that somehow you are missing something, even at the most expensive tiers. If you enjoy the sound you have, be happy and listen to music.

sorry but I don't think the philosophy matters here ... it is precisely because I would like to improve the sound by one step that I ask if anyone has had the opportunity to compare them. if the sound I get now were fully satisfactory to me, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Gphoton

sorry but I don't think the philosophy matters here ... it is precisely because I would like to improve the sound by one step that I ask if anyone has had the opportunity to compare them. if the sound I get now were fully satisfactory to me, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Okay. From my experience, the TPA3255 sounds better than tripath, but I'm not familiar with the amp series you have. What else is in your system from source to speakers?

neuronestanco

Okay. From my experience, the TPA3255 sounds better than tripath, but I'm not familiar with the amp series you have. What else is in your system from source to speakers?

dac smsl sanskrit 10th mkii, and with this I can confirm that I am very happy

Reactions: PSO

Gphoton

I think you would be happy as well with the TPA3255 with a 48v supply. There are a few vendors available, but make sure they have regulators and capacitors that handle 48v. Price in the power supply too, THD drops with increasing voltage. It is a great sounding amp.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hi, I have a TDA7498e and also a TPA3251 from 3eaudio. If the TPA325X is well implemented, it is superior to the TDA7498e. The sound is more natural (warmer), less hearing fatigue. In short sounds more like a class AB amplifier versus a more mechanical and cold sound with the TDA7498

neuronestanco

[QUOTE:"Gphoton, post: 557810, membro: 15648"] Penso che si sarebbe felice anche con il TPA3255 con una fornitura 48v. Ci sono alcuni fornitori disponibili, ma assicurarsi che hanno regolatori e condensatori che gestiscono 48v. Prezzo nell'alimentatore troppo, THD scende con l'aumento della tensione. Si tratta di un grande amplificatore dal suono.[/QUOTE]

thanks for your technical advice. I will definitely do as you say

neuronestanco

[QUOTE:"ModDIY, post: 558398, membro: 14358"] Ciao, ho un TDA7498e e anche un TPA3251 da 3eaudio. Se il TPA325X è ben implementato, è superiore al TDA7498e. Il suono è più naturale (più caldo), meno affaticamento dell'udito. In breve suona più come un amplificatore AB di classe rispetto a un suono più meccanico e freddo con il TDA7498[/QUOTE]

interesting this comparison, is what I was looking for, thanks. do you think aiyima's tpa3255 (a07) can be a good implementation?

ModDIY

interesting this comparison, is what I was looking for, thanks. do you think aiyima's tpa3255 (a07) can be a good implementation?

Hello,
According to my readings on the diyAudio forum, I believe so. At least I have read several good reviews. In addition the prices are very reasonable.

Another TPA3250 (less powerful) or the 3255 from 3eAudio are available either on its site or aliExpress.

TPA3250 TPA3255 Bluetooth 5.0 avec traitement DSP alimentation intégrée tout en un amplificateur HiFi

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNVgIh7

shellback

Audio Company
Our engineer said the power supply can be 48v 10a, it's better than 48v 5a.
I'd like to order an A07 LM4562 to use with a pair of KEF Q150. Anyone have suggestions on where to get a power supply?

Gphoton

I'd like to order an A07 LM4562 to use with a pair of KEF Q150. Anyone have suggestions on where to get a power supply?
Plug:
DC Power 12V 5.5mm x 2.5mm Barrel Male Plug Connector 9FT Pigtail 16AWG (2 PCK) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RXQHXR6/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_rbeSFbV53KH5T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Plus a MeanWell 7.3 amp or for full power a 12.5 Amp 48v supply. Measure and adjust the output voltage pot to stay below the 48v capacitor rating. The supply can go over 50v if adjusted

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

escape2

Or the newly released 3e Audio 3255 amp
Interesting that there seem to be two implementations of it, each geared toward a different speaker impedance...

H62c68c4b843b4b8898e8789fe3e6138ai.jpg

NgtFlyer

The touch bar macbook audio is better, in fact (I have 2019 version). Macbook audio has always been decent.

Um, not really. It's great when you use an external DAC, but sound out of most Macs is average to below average. This is why anyone in pro audio either takes the sound direct (via network) or plays back through the DAC of their choice when using Macs.
Apple uses the same off-the-shelf design audio chipsets and circuitry that many others use. They are nothing special.

escape2

Update: being in similar situation as OP, I ended up with Emotiva A-100. So far it appears to be a very nice unit - build quality is outstanding, and so is sound quality. The only minor issue is the analog volume potentiometer - it causes some channel imbalance at the lowest volume level, as is typical with analog pots - not ideal if you use it as a desktop amp and primary volume control and just want to listen to some quiet music in the background. The solution is to attenuate the source signal so that you can turn the Emotiva volume knob a bit higher, past that imbalance point.

Now, if you have a separate volume control (like on a pre-amp), this is obviously a non-issue as you will have the Emotiva knob set much higher.

MTyJzAql.jpg

Ataraxia

Update: being in similar situation as OP, I ended up with Emotiva A-100. So far it appears to be a very nice unit - build quality is outstanding, and so is sound quality. The only minor issue is the analog volume potentiometer - it causes some channel imbalance at the lowest volume level, as is typical with analog pots - not ideal if you use it as a desktop amp and primary volume control and just want to listen to some quiet music in the background. The solution is to attenuate the source signal so that you can turn the Emotiva volume knob a bit higher, past that imbalance point.

Now, if you have a separate volume control (like on a pre-amp), this is obviously a non-issue as you will have the Emotiva knob set much higher.

MTyJzAql.jpg

If using a PC sound card optical out to DAC can the imbalance be accounted for in the balance settings of the soundcard? Also, I have not been able to determine if the A-100 requires a pre-amp. In your setup above a pre-amp is not used so seems one is not needed? Thanks

Top Bottom