• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Idea's for all in oneCD, Pre, DAC combo.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some nice players being shown here but IMHO most way overpriced.
The Sony UBP-X800M2 is being sold everywhere for under $250, is built like a tank with a smooth
quiet transport and plays most every type media made.
I just recently bought one of myself after the price drop..
Does it have volume control though?

I need something to be a CD-PRE.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does it have volume control though?

I need something to be a CD-PRE.
No, it doesn't look to meet your needs,
Good luck,
Sorry

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

No, it doesn't look to meet your needs,
Good luck,
Sorry
Never know, I'll keep it on my list, maybe find a pre to go with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, seems like an absolute steal.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Never know, I'll keep it on my list, maybe find a pre to go with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, seems like an absolute steal.
Probably it's biggest negative for many is the lack of a front panel display which mostly requires it's use in a system
with a monitor of some type.
Just sayin,

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Have heard great stuff about them before, never owned one though. If I get one it will be the 105, the 205 is more than I'll be able to afford after buying the powered monitors.

They look extremely well built internally, not much to look at on the outside, but that really appeals, nice to see function over form. The Teac mentioned is expensive, but have to say I am really tempted to aim for that, again, build to qualify like the Oppo. The SMSL is a massively lower quality compared those going buy internals and weight.

Was looking at Audio Lab 8300CDQ and Quad Arterra Play+ as well, but not sold on those really. Audio Lab seems a bit too much of an econobox type solution with a name to justify the cost, and the Quad is pretty much a relative unknown, hardly any reviews and nobody really mentions on any forums so definitely not any magic to be found there.
I don't think Quad has ever played the "please review our kit", game. And consequently has always been snubbed by the reviewing press.
Since I replaced broken Audiolab amplification with Quad gear, it has worked "perfectly", and is all I'll ever need.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Probably it's biggest negative for many is the lack of a front panel display which mostly requires it's use in a system
with a monitor of some type.
Just sayin,
To be honest this is starting to make sense.

That Sony Blu Ray, was going to need a Blu Ray/DVD player anyway, and then an RME ADI FS2...job done right there. I think this is a rather more frugal approach and actually end up with least amount of boxes.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

I don't think Quad has ever played the "please review our kit", game. And consequently has always been snubbed by the reviewing press.
Since I replaced broken Audiolab amplification with Quad gear, it has worked "perfectly", and is all I'll ever need.
I quite like Quads older stuff, the newer stuff I'm not really very familiar with.

radix

Major Contributor
The Denon Ceol N-12 is a 65wpc amp with CD player and HDMI ARC input. It's also a network streamer, AM/FM tuner, and phono input. I've never used one, so cannot speak to it much. Denon lists it at 0.1% THD at 1 kHz, 5W. So, nothing special.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

I was looking at that, but not really sold on Audio Lab, anything I've tried by them is just a bit mediocre in my experience. Nothing wrong with it, just never felt like it was worth the investment.

So far I'm leaning towards:
Speakers;
Neumann KH150
Neumann KH310(I'm thinking these painted white after warranty is up would look amazing as well)
Genelec 8341(unlikely due to budget).

For CD/Pre/DAC combo;
Shanling CD 1.3
RME ADI 2FS + Sony Blu Ray player
Oppo 105(but that's second hand, probably not a good investment)

One of those combinations is likely going to be me absolute final system. So far the KH310's with RME and Blu Ray seems like the most appealing. I'd imagine at levels I listen at I'd not need a subwoofer, and if I go that route later, having the RME allows me control for that if needed.

Already got rid of about half my gear, just waiting for move date and then get started a fresh.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I quite like Quads older stuff, the newer stuff I'm not really very familiar with.
This website teaches us that the electronics only has to include connections that we need, a price we can afford, and some confidence in repairs being available. Quad does maintain contact details in Cambridgeshire, which sounds easier to me, than having to send something back to China.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

The Denon Ceol N-12 is a 65wpc amp with CD player and HDMI ARC input. It's also a network streamer, AM/FM tuner, and phono input. I've never used one, so cannot speak to it much. Denon lists it at 0.1% THD at 1 kHz, 5W. So, nothing special.

At that price, with radio and amp I would imagine the CD player is really bargain basement. Still, impressive for someone wanting a cheap all in one.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
One disadvantage is that the PL200 has only CD/USB/Bluetooth input.

The Coax and Toslink jacks are both outputs.

Therefore, connecting the PL200 to your TV might be tricky.

You'd either have to use Bluetooth, or something like a Raspberry Pi to convert Toslink to USB.
@staticV3 aren't there HiFime products available that convert Toslink to USB? Such as the Hifime UR23 or S2?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
@staticV3 aren't there HiFime products available that convert Toslink to USB? Such as the Hifime UR23 or S2?
Excuse me, those can only be connected to a computer.

Top Bottom