• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated Amp vs multiple devices

soberego

Hi folks,

We bought a house so I will soon be facing a new conundrum. I will move my current system (tailored by reading recommendations on this very forum) to a room above the garage to make it a home cinema.

This means, however, that I will need a new system in the living room.

I thought the problem would be easier (going from 5.1 with an AVR to a Stereo-sub system) but it looks that I could not be more wrong.

The living room system would simply play records with my turntable and stream from Spotify / Tidal / Apple Music.

My initial thought was to go with an integrated amp (style is wife friendly) or an all in one but it does not look like any of the good affordable (~1.5k USD) integrated amps come with it. I contemplated the following routes:
  • DSP SHD route but I need to get a separate amp.
  • SHD Power but does not have a analog input.
  • Some Integrated Amps look interesting (Audiophile 7000) but do have sub outs or room correction.

Long story short, lots of constraints, some valid, some not (how powerful of an Amp do I need to power some R3s or R11s, anyway ?)

I would love if someone could provide some guidance or experience as I am trying to get this project off the ground.

Best,

S

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Long story short, lots of constraints, some valid, some not (how powerful of an Amp do I need to power some R3s or R11s, anyway ?)

How far is the listening position from the speakers, and how loud do you like to play?

Have you checked out the WiiM-amp?

OP
S

soberego

No I did not but I looks very promising. Thank you so much. (My TT was connect through the line input, I assume ?)

And with that I can add a MiniDSP for room correction ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
No I did not but I looks very promising. Thank you so much. (My TT was connect through the line input, I assume ?)

And with that I can add a MiniDSP for room correction ?
You can use the WiiM Amp itself for room correction. No miniDSP required.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Do you have a phono-preamp already, or does your TT have one built in? If so, it would go to the analog line input. Some phono-preamps have digital output as well, so you have some options.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Thank you so much. (My TT was connect through the line input, I assume ?)
"Traditional" turntables need a phono preamp which was traditionally built-into receivers, preamps, and integrated amps. Not all modern receivers/AVRs have phono inputs (my AVR does not). Some newer turntables have a preamp built-into them so they can plug-into a "normal" line input.

If you need a separate phono preamp they can be found for $100 USD or less or they can get crazy-expensive (and you're records still won't sound as good as digital. ;) )

An AVR is usually the most economical way to go if you want to integrate an active sub, even if you want to configure it for 2.1. AVRs (and receivers) are mass-produced and sold into a very competitive market. Separates & integrated amps are more of a specialty item, and "audiophiles" are often more-attracted by a higher price!

Or, some subwoofers have pass-through with a full built-in crossover, but you need a separate power amp for your main speakers. Or you need an integrated amp (or something) with a "tape loop" or some way to insert the line-level crossover.

OP
S

soberego

Thank you all for your kind replies. My TT has a phono-preamp built in so I will leverage that.

Ok so by the sounds of it easy solutions exist. When the time comes I ll give the Wiim a try.

Thank you

Top Bottom