• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Idea's for all in oneCD, Pre, DAC combo.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all.

So starting to make room for a pair of powered monitors, 90% Neumann KH 150's. Part of my decision to go down this path is to greatly simplify my system and have less components, ideally I'm aiming for a one box does all approach.

Regarding equipment capable of Playing CD's, acting as a Pre-amp/volume control and an interface/DAC should I want to Bluetooth music or connect TV etc I am currently looking at the Quad Arterra Play +. This one box seems to do all I'm asking, but wondering if there are better suggestions for at or below that price of £1200?

I'm not really into streaming, although I do Bluetooth from YouTube or Spotify if there is something I can't find a CD of, Kaiti Kink Ensemble being an example, seems to be exclusively digital as can't find on CD anywhere I've looked. Most of my music listening is CD based, and a few records, still starting out again with vinyl and obviously I will have a separate turntable.

Ideally also I'd really like XLR outputs, but not a deal breaker unless that will effect operation of the KH 150's regarding input power resulting in low gain.

Thanks in advance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wow, at nearly half the price of the Quad, it's £699 in UK.
One disadvantage is that the PL200 has only CD/USB/Bluetooth input.

The Coax and Toslink jacks are both outputs.

Therefore, connecting the PL200 to your TV might be tricky.

You'd either have to use Bluetooth, or something like a Raspberry Pi to convert Toslink to USB.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

One disadvantage is that the PL200 has only CD/USB/Bluetooth input.

The Coax and Toslink jacks are both outputs.

Therefore, connecting the PL200 to your TV might be tricky.

You'd either have to use Bluetooth, or something like a Raspberry Pi to convert Toslink to USB.
To be honest I rarely watch TV, and if I do it's either Amazon Prime, or a DVD, so could probably pass via Bluetooth and that would be fine, or straight from DVD player or laptop etc. I would rather take this over the Quad, mainly because all their modern stuff is pretty mediocre that I've experienced.

I'll keep looking for other options, but I think these two devices are about all their is really.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

And another one for the list of possible choices if anyone else is looking for similar is the Audio Lab CDQ8300.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Would an Oppo 205 or Arcam CDS50 work? Both have XLR outs, volume control, good DACs and streaming connectivity.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Would an Oppo 205 or Arcam CDS50 work? Both have XLR outs, volume control, good DACs and streaming connectivity.
Good to know, Thankyou.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

The Oppo looks like a good contender.

Anyone here have experience with it and specifically using it as a volume control?

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Lots of current or former Oppo owners here. I have the 203 but it feeds into my Denon AVR so no experience with the volume control.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This has a lot of great features in one box, but it's not cheap and it's missing HDMI ARC (which they have in the lower end integrated). Even if you don't need HDMI ARC, the unit is at the price point that you'd want it for "future proofing." There are no analog inputs, just digital.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

This has a lot of great features in one box, but it's not cheap and it's missing HDMI ARC (which they have in the lower end integrated). Even if you don't need HDMI ARC, the unit is at the price point that you'd want it for "future proofing." There are no analog inputs, just digital.
Oh man I wish you hadn't shown me that, lol.

That's one really impressive CD player, and Teac is always so well built. So far it's between the Teac, Oppo 105, or SMSL PL 200, comes down to how much cash when I pull the trigger I guess.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Just to offer a slightly different alternative.

You can get a good, but slightly different all-in-one Topping DX5 DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-amp.

It has balanced ins and outs, and coax and optical in - Just add a CD drive.
To be honest it's the CD drive and pre-amp that is priority, so I'm kind of looking for something that is both those things in a one box solution. Pair of powered monitors, and one box, that's the goal, my final system. I'm tired of spending money on individual components and chasing ever more.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000025220.jpg
1000025219.jpg
1000025221.jpg

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Lots of current or former Oppo owners here. I have the 203 but it feeds into my Denon AVR so no experience with the volume control.
Have heard great stuff about them before, never owned one though. If I get one it will be the 105, the 205 is more than I'll be able to afford after buying the powered monitors.

They look extremely well built internally, not much to look at on the outside, but that really appeals, nice to see function over form. The Teac mentioned is expensive, but have to say I am really tempted to aim for that, again, build to qualify like the Oppo. The SMSL is a massively lower quality compared those going buy internals and weight.

Was looking at Audio Lab 8300CDQ and Quad Arterra Play+ as well, but not sold on those really. Audio Lab seems a bit too much of an econobox type solution with a name to justify the cost, and the Quad is pretty much a relative unknown, hardly any reviews and nobody really mentions on any forums so definitely not any magic to be found there.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh man I wish you hadn't shown me that, lol.

That's one really impressive CD player, and Teac is always so well built. So far it's between the Teac, Oppo 105, or SMSL PL 200, comes down to how much cash when I pull the trigger I guess.

Yeah. It just seems like it is 2x as expensive as you’d “like” it to be.

To be honest it's the CD drive and pre-amp that is priority, so I'm kind of looking for something that is both those things in a one box solution. Pair of powered monitors, and one box, that's the goal, my final system. I'm tired of spending money on individual components and chasing ever more.

I was in the same spot. What I did was to take a AV processor and a Blu-Ray player for a two box solution. Then I get CD, SACD, music DVD or music BluRay, and streaming in one box. With HDMI CEC, I can use one remote.

Not perfect, but very functional. I ended up going with a Yamaha CX-A5100 because 1) I had one 2) at voltages under say 0.5V, SINAD is on par with something like the Marantz AV10 and Anthem AVM90.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Awesome, Thankyou. So good to see all these options.
Some nice players being shown here but IMHO most way overpriced.
The Sony UBP-X800M2 is being sold everywhere for under $250, is built like a tank with a smooth
quiet transport and plays most every type media made.
I just recently bought one of myself after the price drop..

Top Bottom