• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the BEST amp below $200? and $150

Pjetrof

I use now a behringer a800
ieast streamer in a topping dac d50 Dac to the behringer.
use tidal and use the volume from iPad work flawless.
the behringer got volume control as well.
before behringer I used expensive Accuphase gear.
believe me
no audible diffrence
the amp I paid 179 euro brand new 30 day trial on Thomann de.
the Accuphase is multiple 10.
no need to spend more!!
just figure out how much watts you need
and buy as cheap as possible!

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually, most Macbooks have pretty rough audio as compared to the likes of Thinkpad and even some (emphasis on SOME) HP notebooks. On the noisy side due to lack of filter capacitors in effort to save board space. A good DAC is essential for critical listening. The circuit is pretty much straight off-the-shelf generic. Fine for casual music listening but not much more.
Odd I always thought Macbooks had fine audio, in the pre- touch bar age. Maybe it deteriorated..? I never had problems.

xthechar

In my opinion if you're gonna get a DAC for your daily music listening, you may as well get the E30. It's only $130 and I can't imagine a use case it doesn't serve unless you're doing something requiring true pro-grade performance like taking the kind of measurements that Amir produces. And anything meaningfully cheaper doesn't really come close in quality or features.

*edit* I suppose the E30, Sanskrit 10th MkII, or Khadas Tone Board, depending on your needs/preferences.

Last edited:

NgtFlyer

Odd I always thought Macbooks had fine audio, in the pre- touch bar age. Maybe it deteriorated..? I never had problems.
It's been a mixed bag for years. There are variances based on motherboard supplier (the media only talks about Foxconn but in reality Apple uses several ODMs), series, year and even age.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the 1970s, I was intrigued by the Design Acoustics D12 speakers, but could not afford them at the time (all three photos are downloaded from a Google Search)...

Design Acoustics D12.jpg

...so I bought smaller version - the D6's were far less radical, but still unusual...

Design Acoustics D6-1.jpg

Design Acoustics D6-2.jpg

OP
B

blacksmith

If I go for integrated amp/receiver.. for example

1. Marantz pm5005/pm6006
2. Cambridge XXXxxx
3. Onkyo xxxxx

Can I add external DAC ?
Do I still need external DAC to improve the sound?

If so, what are the best DACs for the above amps?

NgtFlyer

If I go for integrated amp/receiver.. for example

1. Marantz pm5005/pm6006
2. Cambridge XXXxxx
3. Onkyo xxxxx

Can I add external DAC ?
Do I still need external DAC to improve the sound?

If so, what are the best DACs for the above amps?

I have read about hum/noise with Marantz PM6006 and I think 5005 as well as other quality issues. I haven't hunted for measurements since I stopped research when I found those threads in several places.

Onkyo I have not found measurements on.

Cambridge I have, and reviews have been very positive. So if you go Cabridge, an external DAC would not be necessary.

You didn't mention a budget, but.. this is my own personal experience:

I recently bought an NAD C368 which uses a Burr-Brown 1795 DAC and Hypex output stage. It has not been reviewed here but got positive reviews elsewhere, though all subjective. My own impressions are very positive. I purchased mine factory refurbished for US $599. It has four digital inputs (two coax spdif and two optical toslink), two line-level inputs, one MM phono input for a turntable and one pre-out that is switchable for subwoofer use. It also has Bluetooth that can be set both to receive from any device or transmit to say, headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. The internal headphone amplifier is also quite good. I am driving Elac Debut 2.0 B6 speakers which seem to be a nice match.

If I were local to Seattle, I'd gladly loan my C368 for a review, but alas I live clear across the country in the Atlanta area.

I hope this info helps.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sent my Fosi HD-A1 in to Amir so it should be getting tested soon.

The Fosi HD-A1 appears to be a direct competitor for the Topping TP-60, a Tripath TA2022 amplifier with an unusual dual toroidal transformer power supply that Amir measured and reviewed in October, 2018. Its performance was not that great and it was a rare Topping product that did not perform well enough to receive a recommendation from Amir. LINK to the review.

The review and measurements of this Fosi class AB amplifier should be interesting, and at $199, it fits nicely at the top of the "below $200" range. Before acquiring an extra layer of audio cynicism when I joined ASR a couple of years ago, this amplifier would have appealed to me. It is referred to as a "powerful" 50wpc amplifier, but has only one tiny heat sink on the PCB that I can see, and none for the output transistors. It is also advertised as having a tube-like sound, so the discussion that follows the review could also be interesting...if it indeed has a tube-like sound, what level and type of "distortion" could be causing that? Will this be another chapter in the ASR history of myth-busting?

(I doubt that the Fosi will come anywhere close to the performance of a $310 Class-D Ghent/ICEpower 200ASC/200AC amplifier which produces 100wpc@8Ω.)

=========

Specs and pics from the Amazon ad:
  • THD: ≤ 0.004%
  • SNR ≥110dB
  • Frequency Range: 20Hz - 20kHz (±1 dB)
  • Input Sensitivity: ≤ 280mV
  • Terminating impedance: 2Ohm - 16 Ohm
  • MAX Power Output: 50W x2 @8ohm
Exclusively designed for the customers who pursue HiFi sound, best for human voice, same as tube sound;

Fosi-2.jpg

Fosi-1.jpg

jrampoldi

coincidentally, I also have the Q Acoustics 3010s on my desktop (driven by the Fosi Audio HD-A1)

ck42

Forum Donor
BUMP...
Wondering if there's been anything resembling a consensus for top sub-$200 amp.
Still running a Dayton APA-150 while I decide on where to go next. (Everything else in my chain has been updated except the amp now)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had the Emotiva on my desktop but switched to the Fosi due to it's smaller form factor
Have you noticed any differences in sound quality or noise/hiss from speakers when you switched?

Amir's review of HD-A1 didn't look that great.

I can easily fit the A100 under my desk - it's not that big. :)

barfyman362

I'm not claiming either of these are "the best" for the money, but I've used both an AudioSource AMP100VS (paid about $60 used on eBay) and the previous gen Emotiva a-100 on my desk and there was no meaningful audible difference between the two. I only bought the Emotiva because I gave my AudioSource away but in hindsight I wish I would have just bought another AMP100VS. They both provide way more than enough output before I can hear the noise floor which was my main concern. Also the Emotiva was bigger than I thought it would be -- putting the AudioSource sideways it's not much bigger.

ScofieldKid

I'm getting a heavy "Onkyo-vibe" reading this discussion...

Top Bottom