• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

BarryTone

I would never spend $1,000 for a DAC.
I would never buy a DAC! I want a decent one built in to my integrated Amp. It's just a chip. Hopefully the new Wiim Amp tests well. SVS, Sonos, Bluesound, FOSI, Yamama...you all get a chance too. Build a great inexpensive streaming Class D Amp or watch companies like Wiim take all of your business away.

Ajax

Forum Donor
I purchased the SMSL SU8s for $360, being a third of the price of this DAC, same connections and slightly better performance. So I don't understand SMSL's marketing logic that induced them to produce this.

I connect the balanced outs to a Buckeye amp and the RCAs to stereo subs. I run the mains full range and cross the subs at 65hz. Sounds incredibly clear at very loud volumes.

Shows how far DAC technology has come when we complain about spending $1,000 on a DAC that measures this well when not that long ago we were paying 5x for European (and USA) DACs with less performance. Not sure where DACs can go from here except adding features (e.g. DSP).

Bleib

Major Contributor
I would never buy a DAC! I want a decent one built in to my integrated Amp. It's just a chip. Hopefully the new Wiim Amp tests well. SVS, Sonos, Bluesound, FOSI, Yamama...you all get a chance too. Build a great inexpensive streaming Class D Amp or watch companies like Wiim take all of your business away.
Not just chips, a lot of the integrated stuff is just quite subpar.

Chagall

Forum Donor
That thing is so damn ugly. Truly Chinese design. And what's really absurd is SMSLs strange multi color, multi font, multi textsize display. Just something blinking is missing.

To each their own, i guess

Untitled-3.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
Don't think it's Chinese in particular. Just retro, possibly to stand out. I don't mind different colors or fonts either, it's a good way to emphasize some things over others as AVRs do.

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
it’s baffling how a they can ruin the Design with this cheap display.
"We payed for all the colors and all the fonts so we going to use all the fonts"
Makes it look like 20$ knock off soldering station from aliexpress.

Maybe for 1000$ we get galvanic isolation from D to A?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you mean? Filterless does not mean there are stair steps. Or do you mean R2R? Maybe you do - I am very confused this morning :)

If it is not R2R, I don't understand what is the point of this device. How is it different than all of the other 36 DACs SMSL has in their portfolio these days? Did they fire the Product Manager and hired another design engineer again?

It is an emulation of 'sample and hold' to mimic the response of a filterless R2R DAC.
I would presume a 24-bit R2R (for 24 bit files) or 16-bit R2R (for 16 bit files) but without seeing scope shots we don't know.

The DAC has different looks and is default set not to comply to the sampling theorem and thus will sound different from the vast majority of DACs which makes it differ from the other models which may or may not have better reconstruction filters engaged in default condition.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Expensive for its measured performance when compared to other offers. However it does have a AES/EBU digital input. There might be an advantage using the AES/EBU in terms of noise, spurious & jitter and FFT. The least expensive DAC with AES/EBU I found was the Gustard X16.
Loxjie D40

Yevhen

Forum Donor
From the DAC chip "spec sheet"

View attachment 331632
So, do they use the Cu or Au bondwires? I can imagine that they want to match the Cu bondwires with Cu leads to minimize the passive intermodulation (PIM). But on the die side, connections are not done with Cu anyway (something like titanium–tungsten and aluminum–copper sandwiches)...

JayGilb

Major Contributor
So, do they use the Cu or Au bondwires? I can imagine that they want to match the Cu bondwires with Cu leads to minimize the passive intermodulation (PIM). But on the die side, connections are not done with Cu anyway (something like titanium–tungsten and aluminum–copper sandwiches)...
I'm not sure, as I can't find any information on which metal provides "a more delicate instrumental tone".

prerich

prerich

At the moment you cannot hear any differences, why to spend 1000$ when a 200$ unit do the job?
Design....my wife can use a Walmart purse - it does the job, but she prefers Coach or Brahmin.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Design....my wife can use a Walmart purse - it does the job, but she prefers Coach or Brahmin.
But that is almost never the argument. It’s rarely not about audibility.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

DrZingo

For $1000 the enclosure could at least be standard 430 mm and not have different font styles on the display. Really don't understand its value as I don't even find it really beautiful.
Yes. Many of these Chinese products seem to like to mix fonts, like suddenly using Cooper Black for "PCM" here. It invariably makes the unit look less premium to me.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, they shaved off a couple of bucks off the BOM by using a second tier DAC chip. Anything new we get for our hard earned $1000?
I believe they selected a DAC from Rohm Semiconductor just to be different, and not to save money, especially given the price of the chip!

Chagall

Forum Donor
Yes. Many of these Chinese products seem to like to mix fonts, like suddenly using Cooper Black for "PCM" here. It invariably makes the unit look less premium to me.

Similar how they cringe at our Chinese tattoos.
Think it would be quite difficult to get a good feel for fonts in a foreign alphabet/characters.

The ROHM white paper:
5E5EEBCA-0DFD-4FE1-8E66-EBC5A3C84FA3.jpeg

Normally, a white paper includes a technical description and explanation of the function of the DUT. This one was entirely comprised of subjectivity from a classical music listener’s viewpoint. The focus seems to be on the spatial reverb decay effects in classical music.

In reality, it performs almost identical to the AKM 4499 in the D400 Pro, right down to the IMD and jitter, and both also only have two filter options.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In reality, it performs almost identical to the AKM 4499 in the D400 Pro, right down to the IMD and jitter, and both also only have two filter options.
You are way too generous, how about this one:

Uses AK4493S

gvl

Major Contributor

They talk about the filter being programmable, so perhaps it's on the DAC manufacturer to provide various filter settings which SMSL didn't pursue to the full extent possible. I admit I didn't read into the details what programmable actually means.

Top Bottom