• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D1se2 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 59.2%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That would likely be a lot more work for little benefit. I’m guessing here, but the AP analyzer doesn’t know the volume position. So you’d have to enter everything into a spreadsheet. But the analyzer can tell you to steadily increase the volume while keeping track of the time. Any red flags will still be apparent.
That's correct. As noted on the graph, the volume control is dB accurate. And it is a rotary control so no exact position for anything.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How hard could it really be for SMSL (Topping, etc.) to realize that people who lurk at ASR also have a strong desire to extract quality-audio from HDMI/eARC? :mad:
You blew-in from the east, and you gave us (ASR lurkers, et al) some great competition for price-to-performance audio hardware.;)
Isn't time for you to step-up your (design) game again? HDMI/eARC needs you, as do I.:facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How hard could it really be for SMSL (Topping, etc.) to realize that people who lurk at ASR also have a strong desire to extract quality-audio from HDMI/eARC? :mad:
It is an entirely different world to implement HDMI. It is high-speed video interface and requires fair bit of software/testing to drive/test. Companies that build AV products can borrow such engineering but not stand-alone companies. Of course if they put their mind to it, they can.

CedarX

Forum Donor
I didn't understand, so I didn't reply.
help me.
The initial question was about increasing the dynamic range and feeding an amp output stage…
Quote: “To feed poweramps without a gain stage, direct to the output stage, also requires the said 15V to 20V to have a low output impedance, to be able to drive that section.”
I was merely pointing that what you described looked a lot like using the headphones output of a DAC+HPA combo…

CedarX

Forum Donor
The XMOS XU-316 used on the D1se2 has 16x 32 bits MCU cores. If the MQA thing is handled by the ESS9039, why do they need all that CPU power with no DSP? Only to manage the display and menus?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an entirely different world to implement HDMI. It is high-speed video interface and requires fair bit of software/testing to drive/test.
Simple search on aliexpress will yield a variety of HDMI/ARC audio extractors, under $100USD.

202305_ARCextractor.jpg
Link
8K 60Hz HDR10+ UHD HDMI Matrix 4x2 Dolby Version HLG CEC ARC 7680x4320P HDMI Splitter Switch 4 In 2 4K120Hz VRR Support PS5 XBOX
US $82.99
It hasn't been rocket science, since LCD panels w/HDMI.
I don't want them re-invent the wheel, just make it proper audio.
It does not need to be any bigger than a credit-card size daughter-card, as is done with USB/BT add-on cards.
This SMSL D1se2 would then serve a real purpose!:)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what you get with 24bit LDAC (from Amir's link and test).
View attachment 288338
But as Amir correctly points out:
View attachment 288339
So transparent?? I don't think so! LDAC is good, but subjectively (compared to bit-perfect) it sounds a little washed out and compressed.
It is not the hardware, I believe.
It is the CODEC itself. and first half of that is in the transmitter.
Totally OT but listening to LDAC from my phone via UAPP>Qudelix 5K is indistinguishable from wired.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The initial question was about increasing the dynamic range and feeding an amp output stage…
Quote: “To feed poweramps without a gain stage, direct to the output stage, also requires the said 15V to 20V to have a low output impedance, to be able to drive that section.”
I was merely pointing that what you described looked a lot like using the headphones output of a DAC+HPA combo…
Aah, got you, thanx.
But I wasn't saying that!
The mentioned DAC, has 15V at XLR output, not the HPA. and it has very low output impedance at XLR. it can practically drive sensitive speakers!
The bit about it being Amir's favourite DAC was the joke.
Because it costs as much as a DAC, amplifier and a decent pair of speakers combined !

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Simple search on aliexpress will yield a variety of HDMI/ARC audio extractors, under $100USD.
I didn't say it cost a lot. I said that it involves high-speed video circuits which is a different design skill than low frequency audio. It also presents a challenge as far as performance as HDMI audio has a lot of jitter and high-speed/noisy circuits. All of this needs to be dealt with to get a clean audio input into the DAC.

raif71

Major Contributor
The remote controller reminds me of Schiit Bifrost 2 remote. Wonder if it has the magnetic back as well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Look at that CNC'ed aluminum remote, truly glorious! At this price I would imagine buyers wanting a large and hefty CNC'ed chassis as well, so maybe throw in some extra metal next time.
My original DX7 has a CNC Aluminum remote... the later models come with some plastic crap. I haven't unboxed any of the plastic remotes lol I just keep the metal one on my desk. Works with all Topping devices...
Maybe they're testing the waters of the "audiophile" swamp market :cool:
I feel like this is really what they are doing with these new products because they make no sense otherwise.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it be nice if TVs just had a usb out for such things.. I use usb out of my ps5 and it works fine.

Or even better.. replace hdmi with thunderbolt on consumer electronics.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Volume and source selection. And power on/off.
So you guy have one remote to control the Source i assume? But you don't control the source volume?
And another remote to to control the volume?!

Why is it not automatically using the source that is active and if there is no source goes to standby. Like me PC monitor.

And whats with the Amp, You have a third remote for this?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
So you guy have one remote to control the Source i assume?
I do. Is that so strange? For instance when the source is a CD player it makes sense to have a dedicated remote for its many functions.

But you don't control the source volume?
Indeed I don’t. Note that many sources don’t have volume control. Such as CD players.

And another remote to to control the volume?!
Yes. When your source doesn’t have volume control, having it in your volume controlled DAC seems a great solution and a common scenario.

Why is it not automatically using the source that is active and if there is no source goes to standby. Like me PC monitor.
Don’t know. I personally hate triggered power switching. Others love it.

And whats with the Amp, You have a third remote for this?
I don’t. Not all amps have volume control. For instance power amps or the amps in many active speakers.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I do. Is that so strange? For instance when the source is a CD player it makes sense to have a dedicated remote for its many functions.

Indeed I don’t. Note that many sources don’t have volume control. Such as CD players.

Yes. When your source doesn’t have volume control, having it in your volume controlled DAC seems a great solution and a common scenario.

I don’t. Not all amps have volume control. For instance power amps or the amps in many active speakers.

So you are using a software (digital) volume control straight into a power amp. I think that's a bad decision as well.

Software glitch = 100% volume.

CD players? Just rip the CD. Play it through a streamer with PEQ etc

Top Bottom