• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl down . . . Streaming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
True but they aren't in mono either.

...Multi-dimensional...all around.

* Stereo was invented because it was more expensive...therefore the beginning of high-end audio...
The only missing thing was the solidity of it; only stereo amplifiers and preamps and recordings...instead of 3-channel amps, preamps, sources and music recordings.
They omitted the most important speaker; the third one, right in the middle/center.
Instead they were relying on an illusion; the imaging.
To this day stereo is incomplete. Except, for the 3-channel music recordings with all the appropriate audio gear (speakers, amps, preamps, sources, cabling).
Add 4 and 5-channel music recordings and audio gear to that.

Stereo, is retro. Mono, is what it is...only one; ancestry.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Bob what's all this about you having kids screaming in confined spaces :eek:

My I recommend commandeering a few old mattresses Bob , voilà... No one can hear you scream

That's just one example...quick like that out of my brain.

That's why audiophiles escape in their dedicated listening rooms, or buy headphones.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
No small beans, but no potatoes either:

"Vinyl, the darling of indie retailers and indie labels, might finally be peaking. While Nielsen Music data -- which measures scans at the cash register for sales to consumers - shows vinyl album units up this year, the RIAA’s count -- which tracks album shipments to retailers -- sees the format backsliding, to 8.4 million units from 9.2 million in the prior year. (Vinyl's $207.1 million in revenue is still more than the $195.4 million in revenue generated by ad-supported on-demand streaming.)"

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No small beans, but no potatoes either:

"Vinyl, the darling of indie retailers and indie labels, might finally be peaking. While Nielsen Music data -- which measures scans at the cash register for sales to consumers - shows vinyl album units up this year, the RIAA’s count -- which tracks album shipments to retailers -- sees the format backsliding, to 8.4 million units from 9.2 million in the prior year. (Vinyl's $207.1 million in revenue is still more than the $195.4 million in revenue generated by ad-supported on-demand streaming.)"
So what is you're carbohydrate of choice if not small beans or potatoes?? Rice? Lentils? .. Bread.. Pasta?

Once I had big butter beans Greek style as a filling for my jacket potato... Renegades of cuisine

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Speaking of vinyl, nice presentation, and about 3/4 (6 minutes 35 seconds) way through , OMG, filtering is mentioned, and yes, vinyl always (note I retract the word always has filtering to meet the needs of the format itself until proof otherwise is offered due to a member who is looking for proof that a lathe operator somewhere says they do not use any filters, see below a few posts) has filtering to meet the needs of the format itself...also, speaking of mono, you actually get better fidelity, as stereo is a compromise to cut on vinyl.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The lacquer is warped...

Wouldn't that affect the cut?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm going to start a streaming service that only streams from live vinyl plays, like the DJs of yore.

If you're a qualified high net worth entrepreneur or angel investor, I'd be happy to send you a term sheet (NDA mandatory, of course).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Speaking of vinyl, nice presentation, and about 3/4 (6 minutes 35 seconds) way through , OMG, filtering is mentioned, and yes, vinyl always has filtering to meet the needs of the format itself...also, speaking of mono, you actually get better fidelity, as stereo is a compromise to cut on vinyl.

Is that Blu Tack I see on the cutting head?

@fas42 would be thrilled.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The lacquer is warped...

Wouldn't that affect the cut?

Appeared to be off-center as well. Warped and off center. One needs a Nakamichi TT with custom mod vacuum hold down to play it right.

Who am I to complain. My HD might be warped too, as I don't see it while it spins. :eek:

I guess I need to move to SSD exclusively instead of only for the OS.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was none of the above. (blutak, warped, off centre).
The lacquer (actually an aluminium disc coated with nitrocellulose lacquer) is very slightly warped, but observe when he lowers the head onto the lacquer. The slight "wavering" of the reflection in the area between the clamp and the head disappears, showing the disc is firmly down on the turntable where it matters.
Ditto for the off centre, it's physically impossible to cut off centre. Any "off centre" occurs when the spindle hole is punched in the stamper before mounting it in the press.

Analog Scott

Speaking of vinyl, nice presentation, and about 3/4 (6 minutes 35 seconds) way through , OMG, filtering is mentioned, and yes, vinyl always has filtering to meet the needs of the format itself...also, speaking of mono, you actually get better fidelity, as stereo is a compromise to cut on vinyl.
wrong.

Analog Scott

Polemics.

Define «filtering» before discussing.
http://www.mightymediadiscs.co.uk/vinmas.html

" a couple of things generally happen when your audio is cut to a master disc. A low cut filter is used at 40Hz to control and maintain the bass frequency information of the audio. This keeps the grooves from slamming into one another and helps fit your audio into the space provided by the lacquer disc. A high cut filter is placed around 16Khz to help control high frequency information in the audio. The vinyl medium does not “like” a lot of high frequency information."

I believe this is the exact filtering that was talked about in the video and the same exact filtering tomelex was refering to when he incorrectly asserted "vinyl always has filtering to meet the needs of the format itself"

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So you are saying that filtering is not "always" used? I am not quite following your argument.

In practice there will always be some filtering if just to roll off the very lowest and highest frequencies and even if it is at the cutting head. A record cannot encode DC or RF.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a nice AES Journal article on a workshop they conducted on challenges of Vinyl mastering. Here are some tidbits from it: The Vinyl Frontier
Francis Rumsey Consultant Technical Writer
There has been a resurgence of interest in vinyl record production, with sales continuing to rise year on year. During the 135th Convention a panel of vinyl mastering engineers discussed the dos and don’ts of lacquer cutting and vinyl quality control.

upload_2017-12-28_9-32-42.png

upload_2017-12-28_9-33-22.png

upload_2017-12-28_9-34-32.png

Analog Scott

So you are saying that filtering is not "always" used? I am not quite following your argument.

In practice there will always be some filtering if just to roll off the very lowest and highest frequencies and even if it is at the cutting head. A record cannot encode DC or RF.
Looks to me like you are following my argument. That is exactly what I am saying. The assertion that it is "always" used is an objectively incorrect assertion of fact. And I am simply correcting that misinformation.

Darwin

It’s not quite that cut and dry if you read the article. The declines is not an especially significant number and does not account for the sales of used vinyl. Also vinyl still makes more money than ad supported streaming. None of the standalone streaming companies (Tidal, Pandora, Spotify etc) have ever made money and show no signs of doing so.
It would be interesting to know what turntable sales are for a fuller picture.
I don’t have any Vinyl and have subs to Pandora, Tidal, and Apple Music.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Looks to me like you are following my argument. That is exactly what I am saying. The assertion that it is "always" used is an objectively incorrect assertion of fact. And I am simply correcting that misinformation.
Ok, so if it is not always used, what would be your best guess as to how often filtering was/is used for LP cutting since the late 50s on stereo LPs? 99%, 90%, 75%, 50%, 25%, 10%, 1% of all releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom