• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl down . . . Streaming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog Scott

Can you play the piano? You have no right to ever talk about piano recordings.
Have you ever conducted an orchestra? You have no right...
Are you a rock god? Ditto.
Have you ever designed an electronic product? Ditto.
etc. etc.

Could be a bit limiting in the conversation stakes.

I wasn't there, and I didn't do the remastering myself, but I know that the 'professionals' who remastered Sgt. Peppers recently deliberately applied some "gentle clipping" to the digital version but not the vinyl and I can't tell you how much that annoys me. Am I allowed to have an opinion on this?
Terrible analogy. Do I have to explain why?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I haven't discussed anything audio for a while.. so here I go:
LP is Hi-Fi
Was the one of most easily available Hifi medium to listen to recorded music
Was overrun, surpassed by digital Cd in particular now dowloads
Some find ways to declare LP is superior to anything digital and an entire subculture with serious money is born.. Capitalism at its best ...
Notice that a great percentage (>51%) of those who claim that LP is superior can also hear the differences between ... Ethernet cables ... and find that wooden box full of (Scandinavian dust ?) aka ground box connected to one side of a speaker cable or to nothing improves their sound ... Capitalism and PT-Barnum-ism at their best..

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This has what to do with my point?
You were tring to make out that vinyl was somehow massively growing in popularity by careful selective quoting.

Vinyl sales are tiny. 10 mill. Its a minority fashion.

streaming numbers continue to climb at a staggering pace. In the past nine months audio and video streams hit 442.44 billion,

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's a big "if" you just added to the equation. And if you don't overload you don't get that distortion. Just curious, can you point to any individual records among the ones I have cited that you have heard or measured such distortion?

Clearly with the specific records I have cited the recordings were chosen on the sonic and musical merits of the material not on how "challenging or not" those recordings were to cut without the use of additional processing. For many of these records shorter playing sides was the choice made to accomodate not using any processing and also to accomodate a speed of 45 rpms.

And yes your assertion is much clearer now.

Does any of that contradict Cosmiks points?

Ok, you have a few unprocessed LPs. You are correct, they do exist.

What now? Is there any wider point you would like to make?

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
To many vinyl is their preference, it’s ‘ superior ‘ to them.

Please can we stop conflating ‘preference ‘ with ultimate ‘ Fidelity ‘.

There’s no high ground here , if you prefer digital you are not a superior humanoid.

I don’t actually see anyone saying vinyl is a superior medium for music storage and play back, only some prefer it.

So really there’s nothing to argue about but hey don’t let that stop you coming up with yet more ingenious ( utterly inane) analogies and Christ lets all jump on those analogies and rip them apart because that’s really worth while.

It’s ok, but should we not rename the forum so we recognise the standing analogies and semantics have in our argument dynamic ..

What’s Best Semantics ??

Audio analogies Forum ??

Oh, no format antagonism happening here .. Jesus lol

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thread closed ..

It’s just too depressing to read.

Edit , when a thread moves away from a informative discussion and drifts over to ‘ I need to beat this guy’ I tend to take a dim view.

These ‘ combative ‘ exchanges often lead down a path of diminishing returns and the end result is pages and pages of content that’s .., well unrewarding to read ( putting it politely) .

I’d suggest some would do well to find a greater sense of security in what they think, There’s really no need to spend heaps of time bashing guys who prefer vinyl over the head.

It makes us look like fragile protectionist..., and yes that’s exactly what many of us would claim of ‘ others’ in the purely subjective camp.

Could I just think “ sod it” and let it carry on unabated, yes I could .., would that not be ‘ easier ‘ for me .., yes it would ..

Would I be serving your best interests by doing that ?

Hence the thread closure..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom