• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Darko latest video vinyl rips compared to streaming download

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What I just don't get is why clever people never question the DR or even LUFS number that is spat out.

If you play a piece of music with a PPM or VU meter, it's extremely obvious that the meter frequently drops 30, 40 or 60dB during the track.

So there visually is a big instantaneous difference between the quietest and loudest bits, but the DR score is, say 13. How can people ignore what's in front of their eyes?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Hang on a minute - There's a recent thread here concerning DR ranges for vinyl and digital and someone (I apologise for not remembering who it was) filtered and de-essed a digital file just as a cutting engineer would - sub 30Hz filtered off, mono'd below 80Hz, de-essed and filtered off above 15kHz or so to prevent the cutter going unstable or overheating, just as happens in vinyl 'real life' and the DR rating of that file went up (which surprised me).

There's a 50 year appreciation documentary regarding Rega here in the UK, which is a wonderful success story for them. Poor old Roy Gandy still believes there's more you can get from a vinyl record than any digital system will provide.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Vinyl and MP3 have artificially high DR scores in the database (whilst not actually being more dynamic or better SNR)

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about blind test? Hi-Res vs CD vs Vinyl? We have something like this?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Vinyl would tricky as it would have some intrinsic tells, but the CD vs High-Res thing has been done.

Are you familiar with the test Archimago put together?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Everybody would pass the test! It's extremely easy to spot Vinyl - it's noisy, has limited extreme bass and has resonances and roll-offs at the top end.

Adi777

and roll-offs at the top end.
How so? After all, vinyl is not limited to plus minus 20 kHz? I do not understand anything... I heard about limited low frequency, but high tones?

Adi777

How is it possible that some say that vinyl sounds better compared to CD and streaming, and others say the complete opposite? Yes, some people hear or "hear" the differences between DACs, also cables, amplifiers - others don't, but can't it really be clearly explained?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
People enjoy distortion, particularly if they have grown up with that distortion/s and consider it correct and therefore digital wrong.
Keith

Adi777

Ok, but some people say that with really good analog audio system and vinyl's before loudness war you can't hear and you don't have distortion, noises and crackles.
PS Those people are not people who say - vinyl sound better vs the rest, because is "magic", physical, nostalgic, or something like this.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Distortions are inherent in the medium, tracking tracing, IMD and more that I have forgotten, I am always surprised how good vinyl can sound despite its limitations.
Keith

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
How so? After all, vinyl is not limited to plus minus 20 kHz? I do not understand anything... I heard about limited low frequency, but high tones?
Read the thread in this link and look at the graphs. Think about what is happening to the stylus in the groove as the modulations become closer together (higher frequency). Also, for giggles, have a look at the crosstalk and distortion. What's happening below 50Hz? What's happening above 10kHz. Are the graphs flat?

Top Bottom