• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.2%

• Total voters

Oso Polar

Zero:2 barely go into the ear canal so it is more comfortable tp wear them
It depends, on the individual anatomy, I guess. I prefer IEMs with deeper insertion by far - it seems to me that deeper inside the ears the skin is less sensitive, so there is much less ear irritation and so much better comfort. And there is no this weird feeling that IEM is barely holding in the ear and will fall out, so you need to push it back every few minutes. Better sound isolation and the fact that they stay put much better are pluses as well.

BTW, try wide bore tips with Reds. IMHO they are much, much more comfortable (they seem to have very different construction, they are softer outside but the bore is more rigid).

Sebby

It depends, on the individual anatomy, I guess. I prefer IEMs with deeper insertion by far - it seems to me that deeper inside the ears the skin is less sensitive, so there is much less ear irritation and so much better comfort. And there is no this weird feeling that IEM is barely holding in the ear and will fall out, so you need to push it back every few minutes. Better sound isolation and the fact that they stay put much better are pluses as well.

BTW, try wide bore tips with Reds. IMHO they are much, much more comfortable (they seem to have very different construction, they are softer outside but the bore is more rigid).
Those with a narrow hole have a much looser and wider anchorage and seem cheap

Obizzz

Looks like Guru speakers.
Correct answer. Guru Q10 in Ocean Grey.

I got a bunch of tips earlier this week and at the moment I’m pretty happy with the small Fiio HS18 tips on the Reds. Small Spinfit W1:s (not in the picture) also worked pretty well but they’re a bit fiddly to get on the nozzles.

IMG_2636.jpeg

Obizzz

It’s funny how perceptions change. First time around I didn’t like the CP155 tips at all but I gave them a second chance today and had a totally different experience. (No wonder audiofoolery works so well)

While I didn’t really mind the stock cable I discovered the rectangular shaped connections caused a hot spot on my ear when wearing them for longer sessions. To remedy this I ordered another Tripowin Zonie like the one I use on the Zero 2. This time I went for the moss green. Quite fun to be able to play around with different color combinations for not a lot of money.

IMG_0606.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpeg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm debating with myself whether to buy a pair of Truth Audio Nova's as an upgrade to the Crinacle Red's, and right now I'm leaning against it, especially after trying Oratory 1990's EQ for them. I think they sound just fine.

Just bought a pair of Simgot EA500 LM's and they seem very good too with an emphasis on male vocals. They very much complement the Reds which are far stronger with female vocals, but seem too lean in lower midrange to do the men justice. I'm still waiting on delivery of the Velvet tips for the Simgots.. The stock ones included with the set really don't work all that well for me, which is the reverse of the Reds which really locked in for me with the medium wide bores.

Also have the Crinacle Truthear X's (Blues). The Reds essentially supplanted these by virtue of being cleaner and less distorted, but I'm told their detached subwoofer works well for Metal, EDM, and Hip Hop, so if I ever have something I want to listen to in those genres, I'll pull them out. Could be in the can a very long time, but maybe once in a while I'll listen to some Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath or Public Enemy.

Kind of think my IEM game is set for a while.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm debating with myself whether to buy a pair of Truth Audio Nova's as an upgrade to the Crinacle Red's, and right now I'm leaning against it, especially after trying Oratory 1990's EQ for them. I think they sound just fine.

Just bought a pair of Simgot EA500 LM's and they seem very good too with an emphasis on male vocals. They very much complement the Reds which are far stronger with female vocals, but seem too lean in lower midrange to do the men justice. I'm still waiting on delivery of the Velvet tips for the Simgots.. The stock ones included with the set really don't work all that well for me, which is the reverse of the Reds which really locked in for me with the medium wide bores.

Also have the Crinacle Truthear X's (Blues). The Reds essentially supplanted these by virtue of being cleaner and less distorted, but I'm told their detached subwoofer works well for Metal, EDM, and Hip Hop, so if I ever have something I want to listen to in those genres, I'll pull them out. Could be in the can a very long time, but maybe once in a while I'll listen to some Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath or Public Enemy.

Interesting to read a comparison of between Red and the hyped EA500LM. Have you considered Tanchjim Ola DSP? It does a lot of what Red does but with better details IMO. Nova is probably good after some mods, some report excessive treble stock.

OnLyTNT

Yeah, I have the same thought on Red vs Nova, Red became my favorite IEM, Nova won't do anything above it. But I guess I have become Truthear fanboy, I think I will get it anyway :facepalm:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys I don't have the Zero Red (yet?) but for those who have both the Reds and original Blues, I'm curious to know what you think of this EQ for the Zero Blue.

How much does it bring them closer together? Which do you prefer?

Note this is for neutral DACs/dongles. If you are using 3.5mm out from a phone, etc with some output impedance you may experience more bass (I did on my Pixel 4a—I'm now using a Qudelix 5K, so this is an adjusted version with more bass).

CH: 0
Preamp: 2.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 2.200
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 0.800
Filter 3: OFF PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.800
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 5.000

Attachments

• Truthear x crinacle Zero EX8.txt
    366 bytes · Views: 21
Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Guys I don't have the Zero Red (yet?) but for those who have both the Reds and original Blues, I'm curious to know what you think of this EQ for the Zero Blue.

How much does it bring them closer together? Which do you prefer?

Note this is for neutral DACs/dongles. If you are using 3.5mm out from a phone, etc with some output impedance you may experience more bass (I did on my Pixel 4a—I'm now using a Qudelix 5K, so this is an adjusted version with more bass).

CH: 0
Preamp: 2.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 2.200
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 0.800
Filter 3: OFF PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.800
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 5.000
Here you go: Zero Red vs regular Zero with your EQ applied:
graph (41) (16).png

For reference, same comparison with the stock Zero:
graph (41) (17).png

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here you go: Zero Red vs regular Zero with your EQ applied:
View attachment 350954

For reference, same comparison with the stock Zero:
View attachment 350956
Nice visual. A tasteful boost to the bottom end and a little shave off of the highs. It's all about finding the best balance for you. It's pretty striking turning off the EQ in the middle of a modern rock song :oops: which is the most revealing of these changes. You really won't be able to hear the difference with typical "audiophile" solo-type tracks found at expos.

Last edited:

dlovesmusic

Hi folks. I have bought these last August based on Amir's review but very seldom used them other than initially trying them briefly for fun with my Mojo 2 and my Cayin RU6. I did like them as I recalled.

Since then I have sold both the Mojo 2 and the Cayin RU6 since I have been working from home since 2020 and I am mostly a speaker guy so never really used any headphone setup.

Right after the Mojo 2 and the Cayin RU6 were sold. Inevitably I will now be going into hybrid mode at work and required to be in the office for a minimum of 2 days a week!!!

Long story short. I have now ordered a Hidizs S9 Pro Plus Martha from amazon since they were on sale from $119 down to $80 and I also have a $20 amazon gift card I could use. Should arrive today and will report back, but honestly I don't expect there should be any issues with it.

Cheers

markanini

Major Contributor
Hi folks. I have bought these last August based on Amir's review but very seldom used them other than initially trying them briefly for fun with my Mojo 2 and my Cayin RU6. I did like them as I recalled.

Since then I have sold both the Mojo 2 and the Cayin RU6 since I have been working from home since 2020 and I am mostly a speaker guy so never really used any headphone setup.

Right after the Mojo 2 and the Cayin RU6 were sold. Inevitably I will now be going into hybrid mode at work and required to be in the office for a minimum of 2 days a week!!!

Long story short. I have now ordered a Hidizs S9 Pro Plus Martha from amazon since they were on sale from $119 down to $80 and I also have a $20 amazon gift card I could use. Should arrive today and will report back, but honestly I don't expect there should be any issues with it.

Cheers
As long as it's configured for near 0 output impedance it will likely do the job.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My left Zero-red recently lost like 15-20dB of output. Just ordered a 7hz zero 2 as an interim replacement

imnotarobot

I find that as well, the Blessing 2 fits me better than the Zero. The Zero isn't terrible but the Blessing 2 fits more snugly.
Have you tried using the Zero Red's impedance adapter on your Blessing 2? If yes, did you notice any change to the sound?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Probably clogged filters, reach out to Shenzen audio for replacements. Do share your impressions of zero 2 vs zero red.
You're almost certainly correct, and I think I have a pair of spare filters from when I bought the reds. I'm on a trip right now, so I'll have to check when I get home.
My initial impression is that the zero 2 has better deep base but slightly recessed high mids. The reds have an overall more balanced tonality imo.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably clogged filters, reach out to Shenzen audio for replacements. Do share your impressions of zero 2 vs zero red.
If poster still has the box IIRC spare filters were in one of the little bags/ envelopes- just take a bit of finding!

Top Bottom