• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

markanini

Major Contributor
I got a set recently and I have to agree, it's not that great (to my ears)

I like the treble but the low end is a bit disappointing, to my ears it sounds warm but without much substance and there is no punch or rumble. Other people reports though are fairly positive so not sure if it's just my ears.
It's not just you, the reports I've read are that EA500LM is too bight, even some reviewers that praised it said stuff like "best suited for mid volume listening" which is code for too bright.

For many reasons I feel there are many reviewers who are the least decerning.

HD800Fan

Anyone who can recommend a dongle with this? Apple dongle enough maybe?
The best review Amir has given to a dongle is the Hidizs S9 but that is now discontinued and the new Pro and Pro Plus use ESS DACs instead AKM and have not been reviewed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone who can recommend a dongle with this? Apple dongle enough maybe?
The best review Amir has given to a dongle is the Hidizs S9 but that is now discontinued and the new Pro and Pro Plus use ESS DACs instead AKM and have not been reviewed.
The S9 pro has been reviewed by @VintageFlanker on here, measures very well and can be had for a very reasonable price.

If you're in the EU I would stay away from the apple dongle if you apply heavy eq or listen loud as it's capped at 0.5v and even more hobbled on android devices if you don't use certain apps to free up the voltage.

The tanchjim space is very well reviewed and reasonable.

The Moondrop Dawn also.

HD800Fan

The S9 pro has been reviewed by @VintageFlanker on here, measures very well and can be had for a very reasonable price.

If you're in the EU I would stay away from the apple dongle if you apply heavy eq or listen loud as it's capped at 0.5v and even more hobbled on android devices if you don't use certain apps to free up the voltage.

The tanchjim space is very well reviewed and reasonable.

The Moondrop Dawn also.
Looking at the used market for S9 right now, did the Pro measure better than the S9? I can't tell from the VintageFlanker review.

Which of the dongles you mentioned measure best really?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the used market for S9 right now, did the Pro measure better than the S9? I can't tell from the VintageFlanker review.

Which of the dongles you mentioned measure best really?
Think the pro is more powerful and measured around the same. You don't need the power for iem.

With these iem all these will just about perform the same.

HD800Fan

Think the pro is more powerful and measured around the same. You don't need the power for iem.

With these iem all these will just about perform the same.
Hmm, the Nova's don't need much EQ since they are so close to the Harman target.
Maybe I'll go with an Apple dongle first and buy a better one another day when it gets more clear. I'll keep the Apple one for backup.

Thanks for the replies.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, the Nova's don't need much EQ since they are so close to the Harman target.
Maybe I'll go with an Apple dongle first and buy a better one another day when it gets more clear. I'll keep the Apple one for backup.

Thanks for the replies.
Definitely the most cost effective option. Nothing to lose.

mc.god

It's not just you, the reports I've read are that EA500LM is too bight, even some reviewers that praised it said stuff like "best suited for mid volume listening" which is code for too bright.

@crinacle added Simgot's measurements a couple of days ago, EA500LM surely seems bright, especially with black filter
graph (4).png

graph (5).png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Really? I've had them for two weeks. I did change out the tips and do a -2.5 at 8kz, a -1.5 at 5khz and a -1.1 at 2.7 khz together with 1 +1.2 at 700 hz, eq and I think they sound absolutely terrific. Also replaced the tips with large Devina Velvets. I find them a perfect complement to the Crinacle Reds, just the thing for male vocals. No regrets at all on their purchase. But not bass cannons, so maybe some who are expecting a lot of sub bass may find them disappointing. I have the original Truthear X's when I want to truly deep bass.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Anyone compared Nova in person vs Red wanna share their subjective impression? Seriously considering Nova.

Anyone compared Nova in person vs Red wanna share their subjective impression? Seriously considering Nova.
I have both and I have to say I'm really happy with the Novas. I was a little worried that they might be too piercing or too hot in the ear-gain area, but they actually sound very balanced to me. Bass levels are quite high for my taste, but never bloated or distasteful. The cable is a real drawback, however, as it is quite microphonic.

Unfortunately it's hard to compare them directly with the Reds. Spending some time with the Novas made me realise that I wasn't getting a good enough seal with the Reds (even after taking the time to try every type of tips supplied). The Novas fit me much better, although I have to use the dual flange tips to get the most extended FR. And since I can't fit these on both IEMs, I can't compare them on the same basis.

Before I got the Novas, I tried EQing my Zero:Reds with the Harman IE2019v2 and it sounded awful... but the Novas sound just right to me. I guess the point is that EQing works with IEMs, but you need to be 100% sure you have a perfect seal before you try - otherwise you might end up thinking you don't like a target for no good reason.

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor
ya, I have all three, Zero original, Zero red and the Nova for the sake of comparison.
I know everyone has their own personal preference to the Harman curve...so my impression is :
-Zero red is like a handicapped version of the original , either it will have treble or bass. Without the 10ohm it lacks bass and with the resistor it lacks treble.
-But the Nova solves everything , it has both just like the Zero but with a lot more details.

After getting the Nova I stopped listening to the Red completely .. Its like a Zero(blue) with better bass and more details. Nova makes the Zero (Red) completely redundant for my tastes.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My impressions back then were here:

Too bright for me, sold it shortly after.

markanini

Major Contributor
ya, I have all three, Zero original, Zero red and the Nova for the sake of comparison.
I know everyone has their own personal preference to the Harman curve...so my impression is :
-Zero red is like a handicapped version of the original , either it will have treble or bass. Without the 10ohm it lacks bass and with the resistor it lacks treble.
-But the Nova solves everything , it has both just like the Zero but with a lot more details.

After getting the Nova I stopped listening to the Red completely .. Its like a Zero(blue) with better bass and more details. Nova makes the Zero (Red) completely redundant for my tastes.
Did you evaluate the IEMs personally, or virtualized via EQ?

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor
Did you evaluate the IEMs personally, or virtualized via EQ?
I bought all 3 , plugged in each physcailly into the amp and tried out each personally. I played my entire collection through all 3 of these ..
And over a period of 6 months , I was able to come to the above conclusion. I got my Nova in Nov last year and the other Zeros before that.

I dont use any equalizer , just DAC and AMP no software or hardware equalization.

markanini

Major Contributor
I bought all 3 , plugged in each physcailly into the amp and tried out each personally. I played my entire collection through all 3 of these ..
And over a period of 6 months , I was able to come to the above conclusion. I got my Nova in Nov last year and the other Zeros before that.

I dont use any equalizer , just DAC and AMP no software or hardware equalization.
I have to ask because I liked Zero Blue less and it has a lower predicted Harman score compared to Red of 86 vs 79. Second I liked Red more without the the bass plug vs. Red with the bass plug, that scores 86 vs. 74: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md In my informal poll on ASR the majority preferred Red without the bass adapter, which in line with the Harman scores: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/truthear-red-poll.46436/

index.php

Last edited:

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor
I have to ask because I liked Zero Blue less and it has a lower predicted Harman score compared to Red of 86 vs 79. Second I liked Red more without the the bass plug vs. Red with the bass plug, that scores 86 vs. 74: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md In my informal poll on ASR the majority preferred Red without the bass adapter, which in line with the Harman scores: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/truthear-red-poll.46436/

index.php

got it ,
maybe its my ears .. In case of Red zero : I felt I was losing on bass without the 10 ohm plug, and when I added it .. it felt my treble was missing :)
With the blue, it seeemd I had both.
And when I came across the Nova , it was like .. hey this is just like blue and so much more details.. my ears and hearing capability may be affecting this decision.
FYI .. Im using FLACs with latest JDS EL Dac from Dec 2023, new JDS atom amp.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
got it ,
maybe its my ears .. In case of Red zero : I felt I was losing on bass without the 10 ohm plug, and when I added it .. it felt my treble was missing :)
With the blue, it seeemd I had both.
And when I came across the Nova , it was like .. hey this is just like blue and so much more details.. my ears and hearing capability may be affecting this decision.
FYI .. Im using FLACs with latest JDS EL Dac from Dec 2023, new JDS atom amp.
The Red is without the 10 Ohm adapter clearly below the Harman 2019 target bass, with it, pretty close. However it has, with or without, considerably less energy between 2 and 8kHz, which I consider a good thing.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I lost one of my nova ear pieces. The 2 pin connector doesn't have any sort of mechanism to secure the cable to the ear piece. I had it fall off in use several times, including on a plane where I was lucky to find it. This time round I have no idea where it got to. Been using KATO for a week and I really miss the Nova, the sound was great with just a couple of peak filters to pull down the treble by a couple of dB. I don't feel like spending £150 again if it's going to have the same issue. TBH a £150 iem ought to have a better connector. Just bought a truthear red to get me by.

Edit: just remembered I have an unused pair of TE blues so will use those for a while.

Last edited:

HD800Fan

So I lost one of my nova ear pieces. The 2 pin connector doesn't have any sort of mechanism to secure the cable to the ear piece. I had it fall off in use several times, including on a plane where I was lucky to find it. This time round I have no idea where it got to. Been using KATO for a week and I really miss the Nova, got was amazing and the sound was great with just a couple of peak filters to pull down the treble by a couple of dB. I don't feel like spending £150 again if it's going to have the same issue. TBH a £150 iem ought to have a better connection. Just bought a truthear red to get me by.
Did you use a different cable than the one provided?

Top Bottom