• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have them for the couple of weeks.
Nice, kinda like Moondrop Variations on a budget.

Still I'll probably go with the Variations in the future because of bass.
Even after EQ, Novas don't have the same bass as Variations.

markanini

Major Contributor
Those 35% of people should very likely be happy after a simple bass/treble shelf adjustment. That's what the segments represent, variance in bass and treble levels. Nothing more.
No trained listener would prefer a dip between 300 and 700Hz, for instance.
Interesting how we keep getting further away from endgame allusions as the discussion becomes more nuanced.

Interesting how we keep getting further away from endgame allusions as the discussion becomes more nuanced.

Nobody said that 100% target curve adherence was enough to make something endgame. You also have to think about fitment, durability, sustainability, distortion, looks, comfort, ease of use... But wouldn't it be much easier for us if all these parameters were the meaningful ones, instead of being sold wonky FRs as a (hidden) feature? Most manufacturers out there don't even publish basic 711 FR graphs.

For me, Harman compliance (which is different from 100% target curve adherence) is the most important starting point for any given pair of headphones/IEMs because 1) it acknowledges proper research and 2) it ensures that the FR is good enough as-is. As I said, once you have this, normal people can resort to simple tone controls (bass/treble shelves), and geeks like us can use full-blown parametric EQs if they are still unhappy.

Personally, I wish the Novas looked like the Hexas, came in a neutral box with a standard cable, and were distributed by local dealers. But I'm considering getting those anyway, since FR is what matters most to me as an audio engineer.

asrUser

For me, Harman compliance (which is different from 100% target curve adherence) is the most important starting point for any given pair of headphones/IEMs because 1) it acknowledges proper research and 2) it ensures that the FR is good enough as-is. As I said, once you have this, normal people can resort to simple tone controls (bass/treble shelves), and geeks like us can use full-blown parametric EQs if they are still unhappy.
For headphones Harman is ok for me. Sometimes I add some midbass. However for IEMs the Harman IEM target often tends to be too shouty.

MacClintock

What if I don't like the sound of the Nova?
As was already pointed out, then you most probably like a bit more/less bass or treble. But the main argument remains, for every preference at present there exist an IEM that is very close to the prefered target and then there is nothing more to improve.

Eddie_Vanjovi

Have them for the couple of weeks.
Nice, kinda like Moondrop Variations on a budget.

Still I'll probably go with the Variations in the future because of bass.
Even after EQ, Novas don't have the same bass as Variations.
I honestly find the bass on the variations lacking. The low-mids, upper-bass section kills vocals for me on the variations. This is why I've put them away.

I'm interested in the Hype4 next. They're looking promising for the folk that would like a bit less treble but more air. Should have a bit more body than the NOVAs too.

Eddie_Vanjovi

As was already pointed out, then you most probably like a bit more/less bass or treble. But the main argument remains, for every preference at present there exist an IEM that is very close to the prefered target and then there is nothing more to improve.
There are physical limitations with IEMs that an FR won't be able to fix. Depth/field/height and imaging is one of them. No FR can fix this.

MacClintock

There are physical limitations with IEMs that an FR won't be able to fix. Depth/field/height and imaging is one of them. No FR can fix this.
True. But than you have to switch to headphones or speakers. No other IEM would improve on this.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Nobody said that 100% target curve adherence was enough to make something endgame.
Wrong, this point was even repeated, albeit with (not enough) caveats:
You should first consider the consequences of putting Harman IE compliance on a pedestal. This primes one to see the target as a culprit when real world variables come into play. Coupler precision and fit variability are variables that operate on a higher level of magnitude than smaller differences in taget adherence. Textbook example of "can't see the forest for the trees".

alumnicesar

I honestly find the bass on the variations lacking. The low-mids, upper-bass section kills vocals for me on the variations. This is why I've put them away.

I'm interested in the Hype4 next. They're looking promising for the folk that would like a bit less treble but more air. Should have a bit more body than the NOVAs too.

even more expensive lmao

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went for these, they arrived today. I like them so far with the foam tips. Bass isn't overblown. Going to see if I can live with treble without eq, pondering the vocal presentation. Will see if I can live with it without eq, suspect not, but that true of all iems with me, except perhaps the red. Cable is abit microphonic at the iem end. Fit/comfort in is just right for me though, the zero nozzles are brutal. All in this feels like a few tweaks with eq will give me a good daily driver. The lack of spare tips is wack though.

markanini

Major Contributor
I went for these, they arrived today. I like them so far with the foam tips. Bass isn't overblown. Going to see if I can live with treble without eq, pondering the vocal presentation. Will see if I can live with it without eq, suspect not, but that true of all iems with me, except perhaps the red. Cable is abit microphonic at the iem end. Fit/comfort in is just right for me though, the zero nozzles are brutal. All in this feels like a few tweaks with eq will give me a good daily driver. The lack of spare tips is wack though.
If you like the fit then it might be worth trying some reversible mods:
1705952441984.png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like the fit then it might be worth trying some reversible mods:
View attachment 344121
I may give that a try. Treble feels over cooked on these, female vocals quite peaky. Instrumental sounds like guitar string plucks sound very emphasised, but cost is saxophones scream at you. Needs eq to be listenable for sure, albeit not drastic eq. It's not a zero blue.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technologies such as spatial audio are providing a software fix to this problem through, although not a ubiquitous one yet.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm just wondering whether you have received these from anyone for testing?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so after a few days of using these I have come across several tracks where the nova really brings out female vocals (such as Youn Sun Nah) in a very pleasing but not necessarily neutral way. It's just too much with some instruments though, and ends up being fatiguing. Putting a couple of peak filters in the 2-5 k region deals with it completely however so I'll be sticking with it. Key take away for me is that the most productive approach is to take an iem that is designed to a known standard that has proper data behind it and eq to taste by ear. Anyone looking for their end game needs a qudelix 5k and not another iem that will end up in the pile a week later.

Last edited:

gatorengineer64

Forum Donor
I have found these and most iems to be very tip sensitive. The nozzles on these are really narrow by most standards, and I have left a tip in my ear more than once. They sound very different with XELASTECs versus velvets on them. Velvets really seem to back down the sometimes brightness, and bring in some much needed base. Listening to them with anything that shipped with them just hurts.

Top Bottom