• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TP RA3 Rackmount Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 94 33.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 59.4%

• Total voters

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the PA5 to me, has no reason to exist

you're better off with a RA3 and having a pocketing the difference

to me Topping has built a better mousetrap with the PA5.. unfortunately the mousetrap everyone is building is based on the Fosi V3... is the PA5 twice better than a V3???

at least Fosi doesnt use potting!

let us put aside the numbers... i dont like TRS, I dont like separate psus when it doesnt even have the neat trick Fosi has where you can mix and match psus to taste.

and yes the big differentiator is that the remote makes a huge difference in day to day usuability with vol and especially, switching from XLR to rca.

Plus I like the rack aesthetic and we have as yet not seen what Topping want to do with the type-c port on the back in regards to software control.

Also the PA5 will always have the stench of whatever they did first time round.

D

Deleted member 48726

And don't ever. Please.

ASR has finally stooped to the lowest levels of cheap and nastiness where crappy Topping 'rackmount' amps are being recommended to be screwed to an equally sh#tbag hollow-core piece of cardboard junk side table from IKEA.

When will this race to the bottom actually end? Thank god I'm not part of it.
The smiley is missing for expressing the mixed bag of feelings that made me
-laugh out loud,
-feel sad for the fact that I think you're right
-feel anger towards the throw away mentality that too many indulge in

Roland68

Major Contributor
The smiley is missing for expressing the mixed bag of feelings that made me
-laugh out loud,
-feel sad for the fact that I think you're right
-feel anger towards the throw away mentality that too many indulge in
According to Aliexpress, Topping does not ship the RA3 to Germany.
If they only sell the device directly, then they should also make it available to all interested buyers.
Otherwise, Topping shouldn't be surprised if there are soon alternatives with the TPA3251/3255 that sound at least as good. It is an invitation to other manufacturers to fill this gap.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And don't ever. Please.

ASR has finally stooped to the lowest levels of cheap and nastiness where crappy Topping 'rackmount' amps are being recommended to be screwed to an equally sh#tbag hollow-core piece of cardboard junk side table from IKEA.

When will this race to the bottom actually end? Thank god I'm not part of it.
Fun fact: this sh#tbag hollowcore piece of cardboard junk side table back in the 80s was strongly recommended by a German "hifi Magazin" as a bargain turntable stand.... You have to take my word for it since I gave all my useless magazines away when I moved three years ago. If I remember correctly, it "should store no energy because of its stiff and resonance controlling structure". I had one myself back then :facepalm:

shpong

It is the TPA3251.

Attachments

• 20230729_000025.jpg
    20230729_000025.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 190

375HP2482

Amazing how an 8-year-old Class-D chip amplifier can be optimized 15 dB past the usual ChiFi performance.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ya, Seriously crappy, I mean except for the real world power and extremely low distortion measurements. But other than that, really crappy. OK except when you compare it to the vast majority of really expensive A/B amps out there. Ok, I guess it's not really crappy.
What was your point again? o_O

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For near filed listening, driving Budget bookshelves (JBL A130) with low power, would this amp be a worthwhile upgrade over the Fosi V3?

There would be a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

staticV3

Master Contributor
For near filed listening, driving Budget bookshelves (JBL A130) with low power, would this amp be a worthwhile upgrade over the Fosi V3?

There would be a noticeable improvement in sound quality?
If you can hear hiss with the A130 connected to your Fosi V3, then yes. Switching to the RA3 should reduce that hiss substantially.

If not, then no.

Opus_003

This is a review and detailed measurements of the TP (Topping) RA3 stereo balanced rackmount amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $229.
1690596801195.png

RA3 will be $269. I confirmed with the company. Thanks!

DanielT

Major Contributor
I assume that this amp is built around the TPA 32XX chip. I'm looking forward to when Texas Instruments comes out with a chip that can enable this kind of performance that Topping has managed with the RA3 BUT with twice as much power.:)

Double the power with the same performance at the same price, or thereabouts, as the RA3. That in the near future. Maybe it's not impossible?
If we were talking about computers, it would almost have been a natural law that this would happen.:)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its a funny thing that some companies will try to obscure what chipset they are using while other companies will proudly state they are using genuine German designed amp chips... i wonder why? I think you know why.

If Fosi can get 80w+ out of a 3255 then I'm sure Topping can too

where I am it costs $255 usd SHIPPED

I can actually get someone to buy it off taobao or a dealer in China but once shipping is included its a LOT more than $255... so you may as well Aliexpress it.

I suggest you guys wait until 11/11 for any early adopter woes to be sorted out and really, none of you guys need another amp anyway.

Reactions: buz

manudrz

I read this on each topic but I don't think you really need 100+ Watts amplifiers at home. Maximizing the capacitance of the PSU for power on a few peaks is OK, but more power in the amplifier section/PCB = more troubles as said JohnYang-Topping guy elsewhere in this forum.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I read this on each topic but I don't think you really need 100+ Watts amplifiers at home. Maximizing the capacitance of the PSU for power on a few peaks is OK, but more power in the amplifier section/PCB = more troubles as said JohnYang-Topping guy elsewhere in this forum.
As long as one or more dedicated subwoofers take care of everything below 80-100 Hz, then 89 W for most speakers at 4 Ohm is perfectly fine.If the speakers have a sensitivity around 85-88 dB. Without a sub and full-range speakers that go down to 25-30 Hz... well ...hm ...89W is then a bit too little power. For my own part, I doubt whether it would be enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-29_184635.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-29_184635.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 56

manudrz

I'm exactly in this situation ;) And perhaps I focuses on this case... A french-forum-friend made a web page long time ago, I hope translation will be OK. It's about Crest Factor and dynamic range, and yes some situations and films may need a lot of power, my bad.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm exactly in this situation ;) And perhaps I focuses on this case... A french-forum-friend made a web page long time ago, I hope translation will be OK. It's about Crest Factor and dynamic range, and yes some situations and films may need a lot of power, my bad.
This Frenchman has perfectly summed up about 15 different bookmarks I have saved here from ASR regarding amplifier power and dynamics. Very nice. This could help show people that 5 W is only for your your near field situation.

Roland68

Major Contributor
This Frenchman has perfectly summed up about 15 different bookmarks I have saved here from ASR regarding amplifier power and dynamics. Very nice. This could help show people that 5 W is only for your your near field situation.
Of course, it always depends on the speakers.
Buy the Avantgarde Acoustic Trio and you'll never need more than 5 watts again, and that's already too much. But of course they have active subwoofers.

It would be interesting to hear the RA3 on the Trio's, with the good readings at 5 watts. These speakers are like a giant magnifying glass for any amp.

Top Bottom