• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Open Mind Audio

Fingers crossed my 15-month-old PA 5 is still working 100% fine, with about 3 hours daily use 4-6 days a week. (Set up in desktop config.)

anli

It’s a shame that buyers have to use this unit in fear….
Buyer pays for it and then feels lucky that it still works…
What a pity….
Agree. Am thinking about getting PA5 II, but don't know if it free from issues.

gamerpaddy

they moved the heat producing components out of the potted modules, the only way they now get heat cycled is by the temperature rise in the interior of the amp. which isnt as strong and you got a little more convection. the potting compound may not contract/expand as much as the "active" module so they should last much longer this way... but if they ever fail its for the same reason. no compound would be the ideal solution. they could just have welded those cans shut and leave air inside to protect their IP without causing these issues

john11

they moved the heat producing components out of the potted modules, the only way they now get heat cycled is by the temperature rise in the interior of the amp. which isnt as strong and you got a little more convection. the potting compound may not contract/expand as much as the "active" module so they should last much longer this way... but if they ever fail its for the same reason. no compound would be the ideal solution. they could just have welded those cans shut and leave air inside to protect their IP without causing these issues

If potted modules are such a bad thing then why have them in the PA5 II

daniboun

Major Contributor
If done in the state of the art no problem...in the PA5 II the op amps are now "out of the box"

YSC

Major Contributor
If done in the state of the art no problem...in the PA5 II the op amps are now "out of the box"
TBF their implementation is quite in the SOTA ball park in terms of transparency, but then at least I would say it fails in designing with the heat dissipation in mind

daniboun

Major Contributor
Found this interesting but I have no idea what materials are used in the PA5 II / PA5

1696320547505.png

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

It's an attempt at giving the product some allure. "We've designed something very special, that the competition will surely try to copy, so we had to protect it!"

Standard marketing BS, nothing more. Really dumb...

The only good reason for potting is to weatherproof outdoor electronics.

CaptainCoolwater

Check out the SABAJ A30a.
I heard it from a friend against the SMSL VMV A1 and my PA5, Sabaj A8, A20A and A20A 2022. An older Hypex was also there.
The PA5 is great, the A30a is a little better but at least $/€200 more expensive. I don't see any reason why you should take the VMV A1 compared to the two.
How was the PA5 vs A20a?
I'm considering getting the PA5 II Plus or A20a (2022).

gorman

Hmmm... I think the main text of reviews should be updated when widespread problems emerge.

Luckily I decided to check latest posts and found out about the failings.

I would be interested in a similar class of product. Any good suggestions for something reliable?

YSC

Major Contributor
My PA5 that i bought in Aug 2022 started having crackle in the left channel today.
it feels like I saw in the Thrustmaster joystick sensor issue: it's not whether it will fail soon, it's a matter of how long before it will fail

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I have one of these original units that has never been out of the box/hooked up, is there anything to do that would keep it from developing an issue once I put it to use or is it a luck of the draw kind of issue?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having read the recent sad stories, I feel and realize the "hopeless difference" between the companies and their QC and liability policies/practices.
Please refer to my post here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom