• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
index.php

180W bridged into 4 ohms which makes sense as in 8 ohm the power is 100W
Distortion (except for 1% number) not shown, duration not shown. Pointless.

gvl

Major Contributor
Find one for $1600
Then buy a preamp

I mean even with the price differential, I’d happily pay 30% - 40% more. Topping has a habit of slapping an unbuffered pot right on the input to improve SNR, you could pick one off those balanced passive preamps for $30 off eBay and have a similar setup, not to mention you could use a DACs with remote controlled output and a remote.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Distortion not shown, duration not shown

Yet it says... 180 Watts at 1% into 4 ohm continuous and peak power :)
Despite the manual stating bridged mode requires 8 ohm or higher.
Obviously when the impedance dips to 4 ohm this isn't an issue.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He measured 8 ohm bridged.

View attachment 202540

Do not forget that bridged mode every output sees half load impedance.
8 = 4, 4 = 2 seen in bridged mode.
He also did max and peak bridged 4 Ohm
The amp appears linear so bridged 4 Ohm should be no issue

55AF1271-E28C-4BD3-823E-983E44C0027C.png

PeteL

Major Contributor
Distortion not shown, duration not shown. Pointless.
What do you mean? it says right there 1% distortion. I don't know the duration but no amp run at full power continuously, why is it pointless? as for peak power, the duration of the burst is defined in the CEA-20006/490 standard no?

aschen

Impressive measured performance for sure. It seems like people what a budget SOTA high or at least moderate power amp. We already can get close with hypex and purfi though there are not any truly low priced integrated variants as far as I know. Topping seems focused on state of the art "apartment" systems: small components, small speakers, headphones etc.

Who will give us a 1200$ 150wpc SOTA measuring integrated amp? The most exciting thing for me is sooner or later someone will democratize textbook measuring dsp controlled speakers.

Ingenieur

I mean even with the price differential. Topping has a habit of slapping an unbuffered pot right on the input to improve SNR, you could pick one off those balanced passive preamps for $30 off eBay and have a similar setup, not to mention you could use a DACs with remote controlled output and a remote.
A buffered pot will not give 3 inputs
Used AHB2 $2500
Preamp, min $500, likely not as good
$3000
Still need a source

Topping
$1600 plus top of the line DAC
$2500

Ingenieur

I mean even with the price differential, I’d happily pay 30% - 40% more. Topping has a habit of slapping an unbuffered pot right on the input to improve SNR, you could pick one off those balanced passive preamps for $30 off eBay and have a similar setup, not to mention you could use a DACs with remote controlled output and a remote.
You will pay >50% more and still need a preamp.

It's your money.
But the value is imo good and up to the buyer.

gvl

Major Contributor
A buffered pot will not give 3 inputs
Used AHB2 $2500
Preamp, min $500, likely not as good
$3000
Still need a source

Topping
$1600 plus top of the line DAC
$2500

Exactly. 30% more for a reputable brand with a good resale value is well worth it, not to mention you also get more power.

Pulkass

I would be pleased if they make a power amp with hi power, 200 + 200 W, capable on any load, fully Balanced, like a super Behringer a 800.

Ingenieur

Exactly. 30% more for a reputable brand with a good resale value is well worth it, not to mention you also get more power.
2500/1600 ~ 56% more, used
No preamp, no source
And you are paying for power you can't use and don't need.

90 W into 4 Ohm is sufficient
Or LA90 + $900 topping DAC + Revel M16 ~ $2600

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my next mains speaker is going to be a Revel F228Be. That's 8 ohms and 90dB sensitive. I'd get that and run an LA90 bridged per speaker. So you have one of the finest speakers in the world, and the world's finest amplifier works perfectly with it? Okay, great. Weird you couldn't figure out such an incredibly obvious use case.
Only I would argue that a bridged amplifier that can't handle a four ohm load is certainly not one of the world's finest amps. Rather is it compromised. That, my friend, seems incredibly obvious. To me.

Ingenieur

Only I would argue that a bridged amplifier that can't handle a four ohm load is certainly not one of the world's finest amps. Rather is it compromised. That, my friend, seems incredibly obvious. To me.
????
Obvious enough
It will handle 4 Ohm bridged with the same performance as stereo

Most amp mfgs. limit bridged operation to 8 Ohm loads.
F78FDEBF-9920-4D7F-8FD1-A2E482462197.jpeg

5DC66469-8464-4696-ABEA-9E90DCCFBF91.png

CedarX

Forum Donor
Switching to mono creates a bridged, bridge amplifier.
Is bridging a bridged AB amplifier even possible? I thought you could only combine 4 or more modules in a parallel (if current-limited), or parallel/bridge configuration, but not bridged bridge (unless the goal is to create a smoke machine… ;)).

I wonder if wiring the two negative together is only required to keep what may be a Topping nested feedback feature or module (as shown on the PCB picture) working correctly…

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think a commercial product would be held to a higher standard.
The standard for a commercial product could be different. Reliability under harsh conditions. I am talking about touring--portable applications. For installed sound, where the device stays put, that's not a factor. Then, you are looking (probably) for bang for the buck in the wattage category. Ease of installation and service, if required.

Ingenieur

The standard for a commercial product could be different. Reliability under harsh conditions. I am talking about touring--portable applications. For installed sound, where the device stays put, that's not a factor. Then, you are looking (probably) for bang for the buck in the wattage category. Ease of installation and service, if required.
These are often permanent installations.
Sound reinforcement, 'Muzak' type stuff

Most consumer bridged amps limit to 8 ohms. The Topping seems to drive 4 with no issues when bridged.

RichT

Fantastic review Amir, thanks so much for helping make audio history. It's amazing watching the great stuff that's happened because of ASR! Regards

Top Bottom