• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Filio45

I'm just going on what John said, that the E50 performs at its absolute best in pure DAC mode.

But, as you say, it's pretty low noise anyway.)-

Eggs Ackley

How to switch E50 Display to show sample rate not volume?
In preamp mode it only shows volume. However when sample rate changes it will briefly flash the sample rate also if you change input source and back again it will briefly show the sample rate. I wish there was an option to choose full time between the two when in preamp mode.

victorqtek

In preamp mode it only shows volume. However when sample rate changes it will briefly flash the sample rate also if you change input source and back again it will also briefly show the sample rate. I wish there was an option to choose full time between the two when in preamp mode.
Thanks a lot, I noticed this too. Hope they will implement this option someday.

Does anyone know were to find a M2 with 200mm lenght Allen wrench (hex key) ? I need it for open the E50.

bill poster

I usually use D10b, D10s and E30, and this time I added more E50.
As for the sound quality of the E50, I feel that the low-end range has been extended and the amount of bass has increased slightly.
I think that's what makes the vocals you point out sound richer.
I only play speakers and don't listen with headphones. So I can't detect the detailed differences like you do, but I agree with what you say.
How do you find the soundstage of E50? Is it enough?

bill poster

I'm waiting for the day where we will see objective camp (lead by Amir obviously) vs subjective camp (maybe lead by Darko? WTV) on a Youtube livestream in a long epic ABX battle, proving once and for all who is right, it will be legendary. If anyone has the resources to make these people put their ego aside and their reputation at stake, please do it.
Can't see Darko doing that tbh, he's a bit thin skinned. But it's a really nice idea

Toku

Major Contributor
How do you find the soundstage of E50? Is it enough?
I only listen to music through speakers, so I can't tell the slight difference in sound like a headphone user.
I used to buy and use $1000 class products, but recently I have selected and used various E50 class products because there is no difference in sound quality as much as the price difference with low-priced DACs.
Stable operation is the most important thing for me when choosing a DAC. Even if the measurement data of amirm is good, there are very few products that operate correctly according to the product SPEC.
For me, the E50 is one of the few DACs that has good sound quality and operates extremely stably.

victorqtek

Connected my Bluesound Node (2021) to my E50 through optical cable to listen to MQA content using Tidal Connect. E50 in DAC mode. First, I used default Audio settings of the Node. When playing MQA content, E50 shows original sampling rates but no any MQA sign appears. BlueOS app indicates that MQA content is playing. When I set Audio settings of Node to using external MQA DAC, E50 starts to show 2 times lower sample rate (like 96 Khz in first case and 48 Khz in second case), no MQA sign also. And BlueOS app indicates that High Res content is playing not MQA!?
Any comments?
When connecting E50 directly to Android tablet and playing MQA using Tidal app, E50 performs perfectly, showing full unfold of MQA files.

bogi

Toku

Major Contributor
Connected my Bluesound Node (2021) to my E50 through optical cable to listen to MQA content using Tidal Connect. E50 in DAC mode. First, I used default Audio settings of the Node. When playing MQA content, E50 shows original sampling rates but no any MQA sign appears. BlueOS app indicates that MQA content is playing. When I set Audio settings of Node to using external MQA DAC, E50 starts to show 2 times lower sample rate (like 96 Khz in first case and 48 Khz in second case), no MQA sign also. And BlueOS app indicates that High Res content is playing not MQA!?
Any comments?
When connecting E50 directly to Android tablet and playing MQA using Tidal app, E50 performs perfectly, showing full unfold of MQA files.
E50 OPT/COAX can only support MQA Renderer. From your E50 display, it seems that Bluesound Node is not outputting MQA Renderer.
When connecting the E50 to an Android tablet, I think it's a USB connection. It supports all MQA signals if it is a USB connection.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't see Darko doing that tbh, he's a bit thin skinned. But it's a really nice idea
Darko is the biggest piece of sniveling subjectivist and elitist that believes only about his opinions and his cash flow from sponsors. not worth having his opinions.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any comments?
I don't think the Node 2i can pass thru MQA to an outboard DAC, even if said DAC can decode MQA.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I will check on this as soon I get my E50 this week and plug it into my NODE but the E50 is only MQA Renderer when feed via Coax/Opt inputs. Because of that, when feed with the NODE Coax or Opt outs, the E50 should show OFS, not MQA.

jawbfl

I doubt anyone would do this, but if they do we will know that we don't know enough because I think the truth is somewhere in between.

victorqtek

I will check on this as soon I get my E50 this week and plug it into my NODE but the E50 is only MQA Renderer when feed via Coax/Opt inputs. Because of that, when feed with the NODE Coax or Opt outs, the E50 should show OFS, not MQA.
I connected E50 to my MacBook using Optical cable, E50 showed OFS and up to 192 Khz!?
Before, I connected E50 to Node, using same Optical cable, according to Bluesound recommendations: https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006191908-Why-Isn-t-My-External-DAC-Playing-MQA-
but no MQA on E50 side.

Veri

Master Contributor

victorqtek

By the way, in E50 Manual it is written:
"OFS - Confirms that the product is receiving an MQA stream or file. This delivers the final unfold of the MQA file and displays the original sample rate."
From the other side, iFi support tells the following about OFS:
OFS is a valid state of MQA indication for when a device receives an MQA signal already decoded by a downstream piece of hardware or software. As signals decoded downstream cannot be authenticated in the same manner as the original un-decoded bitstream we use ‘OFS’ which stand for ‘Original Frequency Spectrum’ to show this is still an authenticated MQA stream, and the end point device is rendering correctly, based on the Original Frequency Spectrum.

If your audio source is a downstream application with an MQA decoder, such as Tidal or Roon. The application may have a switch to disable the MQA decoder and passthrough the bitstream signal to your endpoint device.

Decoding in hardware or software, splitting the process or performing both in the same device, will not give any audible difference, as the decoding and rendering information is the same, based on the bitstream content. In essence, the system is working correctly and MQA content is being received and rendered correctly if you can see ‘OFS’ indication.
Really confused!

Top Bottom