• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
I want to add something to this very valuable debate about cables. As usual, debates about cables belong to those most valuables.
I am using as RCA cable a coax one with operational frequency up to 18 GHz, DC Test Voltage 1600 V, Insulation Resistance 100000 Mohms•km, Jacket Spark Test Voltage (rms) 5000 V, Peak Power 6.4 kW etc. I compared really many RCA cables by ear and this one IMO beats many cables costing hundreds of dollars. It costs bargain per meter, but they want to sell you kilometers. Highly recommended!
This coaxial cable is used for antenna cables of mobile phone base stations. It is for outdoor use and is very hard and not suitable for audio.
If you want to use such a communication coaxial cable, we recommend the RG type Teflon coaxial cable.

bogi

Yes, I know what is this cable intended for. I wrote it here for fun, because it is really curious to use such a cable for audio. But I am really not the only one. In the past I did many comparison of different audio components - headphones, headamps, DACs, cables, connectors. And I did many comparisons also in the software area. For me it is only important how a component performs at my home together with other components I use. Reviews and measurements are very helpful, but personal experience on complete audio chain is the most important. Music is here for passion and we should not forget it, when we speak about technical aspects.

The attached picture shows the Heliax cable with E50. :)

Attachments

• Andrew.jpg
    Andrew.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 379

Asma

I see your usb has a separate power supply through the adapter. audiophilia requires perversion.:)

bogi

I see your usb has a separate power supply through the adapter. audiophilia requires perversion.:)
There is no power supply connected to the adapter, that's the trick you for sure didn't expect. ;)

Last edited:

Haruko

o_o I have no words... now I have seen everything

Haruko

here I thought Sommer Cable Epilogue RCA is overkill and absolute endgame that I would never buy into how can this cable sound better than other star quad cables ? does it carry the analogue signal with softer touch than a god himself ?

bogi

how can this cable sound better than other
That's your speculation. I don't know 'Sommer Cable Epilogue'. My cable together with connectors is 1/4 price of that Epilogue. Handwork not counted.
I think better to stop here, this thread is about E50. If you want to continue, send me PM.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes, I know what is this cable intended for. I wrote it here for fun, because it is really curious to use such a cable for audio. But I am really not the only one. In the past I did many comparison of different audio components - headphones, headamps, DACs, cables, connectors. And I did many comparisons also in the software area. For me it is only important how a component performs at my home together with other components I use. Reviews and measurements are very helpful, but personal experience on complete audio chain is the most important. Music is here for passion and we should not forget it, when we speak about technical aspects.

The attached picture shows the Heliax cable with E50. :)
I will not comment further as you are familiar with these cables.
I've used a lot of this kind of cable in my business, so I can understand your desire to use it for audio purposes as well.
I myself am doing the same thing as you.

Oukkidoukki

I keep coming to check the measuments of this thing…..pretty awesome. But why TRS balanced….size is not issue for us. One more dac topping. This with xlr, remote, inputs working, no heat promlems, maybe normal power cable, price 250€ . It will be fantastic.

Last edited:

Eggs Ackley

I keep coming to check the measuments of this thing…..pretty awesome. But why TRS balanced….size is not issue for us. Does topping wanna sell their 50€ trs-xlr cable on the side? Cause nobody in hifi world has trs cables. One more dac topping. This with xlr, remote, inputs working, no heat promlems, maybe normal power cable, price 250€ . It will be fantastic.
TRS cables are widely available for a lot less than 50€. The smaller size is more practical when stacking components. I have E50 dac and pa3s amp stacked and a short pair of cables cost less than 20.

Toku

Major Contributor
I keep coming to check the measuments of this thing…..pretty awesome. But why TRS balanced….size is not issue for us. One more dac topping. This with xlr, remote, inputs working, no heat promlems, maybe normal power cable, price 250€ . It will be fantastic.
Previous consumer audio equipment did not use XLR connectors. XLR connectors are ideal for professional audio equipment used in harsh installation environments, and XLR has been used in many situations with TRS.
At some point, XLR began to be used in consumer audio equipment because of its coolness and luxury. (At that time it was called a CANON connector) It's simply because of the manufacturer's sales strategy. You can set the price high and increase the profit. So XLR was initially used for unbalanced connections rather than balanced connections. Although XLRs are used for balanced connections in recent products, I think TRS is better than XLR for consumer audio equipment that is becoming smaller and smaller. So I strongly agree with Topping's technology strategy.

The cables sold by Topping are expensive compared to the average one, but when you actually pick up the product and check it, the parts you use are of very high quality. I bought two types of cables, TRS-TRS and TRS-XLR, and I am very happy with them.

AVKS

I bought an E50 and it looks and sounds great. Monoprice cables seem to be working just fine. Runs off of a battery pack. Doesn't seem to be impacted by interference from the wireless charger like my THX 789 is if it's too close. Overall, a fully satisfactory purchase.

Chitami

Listen it with transparent headphone setup etc. E50 breaths little better for the lack of a better word, more air…
If many of you say it is the same I am ready to admit I was wrong.

Yep, I see the difference of s8 with e50 based on sound on your video. 8:00 to 8:26 prove the difference on my klipsch. the s8 sound more focus , more like tinkle. While E50 to me is softer and warmer; mean it more blending more music rather than details. Both present same well low bass to me.

Eggs Ackley

I'm running E50 with PA3s amp and Klipsch Fortes. Sounds great. My Musical Paradise tube amp and Schiit Modius now sit in the closet.

Filio45

If you are talking about after attenuation. E50's noise does not reduce with output level. D30pro does reduce noise with output level and drops to 1.1uV below 25dB or so. D30pro makes better preamp.

High dynamic range and low self noise is what to look for.

Yet your E50 marketing says 'ultra low noise preamp' Maybe 'low noise preamp' would have been more accurate? What is the noise level below 25dB?

H83c84b41055a40f689914b6620fedec9N.jpg

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yet your E50 marketing says 'ultra low noise preamp' Maybe 'low noise preamp' would have been more accurate? What is the noise level below 25dB?

H83c84b41055a40f689914b6620fedec9N.jpg
>1.3μV unbalanced, >2.3μV balanced. I think the point is it does not change.

half_dog

Yet your E50 marketing says 'ultra low noise preamp' Maybe 'low noise preamp' would have been more accurate?
It has a different of 0.2μV from D30PRO, that's almost nothing. Take this example: I have a E30 and in a unusual use paired with L30 where there's no sound, with high gain, max volume and a IEM (Starfield), I'm able to hear a faint, really subtle noise, but it's in HIGH GAIN e MAX volume (that's the same for D10s). If I play anything in this condition, probably I will be deaf and lose a IEM.

These days I received my E50 and in the same condition, I barely could hear anything. Wearing a ear muffler (3M X5A) over the IEM and I'm still not sure if I have hearing something...

Top Bottom