• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Oukkidoukki

So your vovox cable costs more than the Topping E50. A true sign of genius..

This isn't the kind of place where bragging about buying useless things will be applauded :facepalm: in case you haven't noticed.
I don’t wanna advertise and if you are smart you can probably make vovox type cable one tenth of a price yourself. With that said…my countrys top mastering engineer ( mastered rammstein, alan walker etc.) did masters with vovox and normal cables, played for the groups. People kept choosing vovox mixes more engaging.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t wanna advertise and if you are smart you can probably make vovox type cable one tenth of a price yourself. With that said…my countrys top mastering engineer ( mastered rammstein, alan walker etc.) did masters with vovox and normal cables, played for the groups. People kept choosing vovox mixes more engaging.
To each their own and the kind of koolaid they sip.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
People kept choosing vovox mixes more engaging.

Any bets on whether these listening sessions used controls in any way? You seem to want to ignore the reality of bias, and the importance of controlling for it IF you want this kind of subjective observation to be revealing of much of anything.

Oukkidoukki

That is from the mastering studios site

……xxx has also done tests on its cables. He otherwise makes the recording in the same way, but changes one component in the chain - the intermediate cable, for example - and makes the different versions available to many people to listen to. The tonne-priced metric Vovoxes from the DA converter are the ones that have served as part of such a test. “I did a blind test between Mogam and Vovox for about the same price. The credit listeners to whom I sent recordings made with different cables all chose Vovox. You can imagine when a professional gang asks what was the difference between and against these music files - cables! They have chosen which one is better and given adjectives about what was better. ”

Oukkidoukki

To tell someone to 'Go forth and multiply' is to tell them, in a polite way, to '[F-word] off'.

Thanks for being polite.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To tell someone to 'Go forth and multiply' is to tell them, in a polite way, to '[F-word] off'.

Thanks for being polite.

Thanks for being a real genuine grown up

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize being childish.
I apologise for being slightly rude. But in all seriousness, what do you think you have won? An extract from a mastering studios site giving the briefest of outlines as to a mass test that "proved" end users preferred masters made with Cable X not Y inbetween studio components?

You dont think there may be a hint of , ahem, commercial bias in play? Or at least a risk of it?

Oukkidoukki

Winning thing was kind of humor…..I don’t believe there is commercial bias. Here is more from the site. This is top mastering engineer.

Speaker cables were my first whistle-aha experience, sometime six to seven years ago. I had basic cables between the Classe amplifier and the Lipinski speakers, then in the middle of the session I switched to those that are still closed and I couldn’t believe my ears, this can’t be true. Depth was more pronounced, stereo image was clearer in many ways, elevation was increased. I really couldn’t believe if that was the case ”.

xxx has also done tests on its cables. He otherwise makes the recording in the same way, but changes one component in the chain - the intermediate cable, for example - and makes the different versions available to many people to listen to. The tonne-priced metric Vovoxes from the DA converter are the ones that have served as part of such a test. “I did a blind test between Mogam and Vovox for about the same price. The credit listeners to whom I sent recordings made with different cables all chose Vovox. You can imagine when a professional gang asks what was the difference between and against these music files - cables! They have chosen which one is better and given adjectives about what was better. ”

“Professionals are fools about the fact that if they feel there are differences, they can use a zero test to compare at the bit level whether that difference really was or not. When there are two versions of the same song, the second step is reversed and the files are summed. The silence of the result means that there are no differences. But when there are always differences in them and then it goes there on the side of preferences. Such a test is also very easy to distort. It is enough that the other one sounds 0.1 decibels stronger and everyone automatically chooses it better ”.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Winning thing was kind of humor…..I don’t believe there is commercial bias. Here is more from the site. This is top mastering engineer.

Speaker cables were my first whistle-aha experience, sometime six to seven years ago. I had basic cables between the Classe amplifier and the Lipinski speakers, then in the middle of the session I switched to those that are still closed and I couldn’t believe my ears, this can’t be true. Depth was more pronounced, stereo image was clearer in many ways, elevation was increased. I really couldn’t believe if that was the case ”.

xxx has also done tests on its cables. He otherwise makes the recording in the same way, but changes one component in the chain - the intermediate cable, for example - and makes the different versions available to many people to listen to. The tonne-priced metric Vovoxes from the DA converter are the ones that have served as part of such a test. “I did a blind test between Mogam and Vovox for about the same price. The credit listeners to whom I sent recordings made with different cables all chose Vovox. You can imagine when a professional gang asks what was the difference between and against these music files - cables! They have chosen which one is better and given adjectives about what was better. ”

“Professionals are fools about the fact that if they feel there are differences, they can use a zero test to compare at the bit level whether that difference really was or not. When there are two versions of the same song, the second step is reversed and the files are summed. The silence of the result means that there are no differences. But when there are always differences in them and then it goes there on the side of preferences. Such a test is also very easy to distort. It is enough that the other one sounds 0.1 decibels stronger and everyone automatically chooses it better ”.

I have little idea what this is saying and even less clue as to what you think it proves.

Oukkidoukki

You were afraid of risk of commercial bias. I wanted to open up engineers thoughts some more so you can judge for yourself if this is likely possibility.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You were afraid of risk of commercial bias. I wanted to open up engineers thoughts some more so you can judge for yourself if this is likely possibility.

He probably doesn't understand bias very well either. There was no indication that he performed a properly controlled test.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With that said…my countrys top mastering engineer ( mastered rammstein, alan walker etc.) did masters with vovox and normal cables, played for the groups. People kept choosing vovox mixes more engaging.
Rammstein! Ah yes, there was less bleeding from the ears with vovox cables.

ceausuc

So your vovox cable costs more than the Topping E50. A true sign of genius..

This isn't the kind of place where bragging about buying useless things will be applauded :facepalm: in case you haven't noticed.

Master Veri, let's agree to disagree
1. today's dacs are very, very good even they are 'cheap'. now we have dacs in the 300-400-500 range that are extremely transparent and deserve very good cables. cables that haven't changed over the years.
2. please try to behave, if someone wants to buy 300$ so what? we don't even know if it is a 0.5 pair or a 2m pair + no one is calling you names because you are using 0.5$ cables.
3. about this place... when I look at Topping D90SE thread I see lots of people "bragging about buying useless things" - dacs like E50 make D90SE completely useless. If you are correct I expect to see you this aggressive in that thread too!

Veri

Master Contributor
3. about this place... when I look at Topping D90SE thread I see lots of people "bragging about buying useless things" - dacs like E50 make D90SE completely useless. If you are correct I expect to see you this aggressive in that thread too!
Your last point is a good one. I just don't think cable bragging rights will get you far on ASR ;):D
But of course, enjoy the things you enjoy. Just don't expect people to follow your example.

Asma

.2. please try to behave, if someone wants to buy 300$ so what? we don't even know if it is a 0.5 pair or a 2m pair + no one is calling you names because you are using 0.5$ cables.
if a person wants to buy expensive cables, this is his personal choice. just remember that a good cable doesn't have to be expensive.

bogi

I want to add something to this very valuable debate about cables. As usual, debates about cables belong to those most valuables.
I am using as RCA cable a coax one with operational frequency up to 18 GHz, DC Test Voltage 1600 V, Insulation Resistance 100000 Mohms•km, Jacket Spark Test Voltage (rms) 5000 V, Peak Power 6.4 kW etc. I compared really many RCA cables by ear and this one IMO beats many cables costing hundreds of dollars. It costs bargain per meter, but they want to sell you kilometers. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom