• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 82 32.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 147 57.6%

• Total voters

Trell

Major Contributor
thx all for reply and advice for startup procedure, its good one!
You can also add a pair of passive attenuators to put between the DAC and the amplifier, and some of them have an adjustable attenuation. So full output from the DAC will not cause full output from the amplifier.

hutt132

Here are the included filters:
View attachment 220685

Using the default F2, we get this wideband distortion+noise vs frequency:

@amirm notes that filter F2 is default, however the manual that shipped with my E30 II states F-3 is the default filter and it was set to F-3 out of the box...

@JohnYang1997 Are the filters in Amirm's graph labeled incorrectly? This would indicate that the default F-3 (Short Delay Sharp Roll-off ) corresponds do the slow green line in the graph.

signal-2022-12-06-105526.jpeg

shawnbd

Dear Amirm, Would you share the photo of detail your Samsung USB charger, so I can find one.

cola

Maybe interesting for E30II users. I'm using the E30II only in DAC mode and only with my cd player via coax cable. I noticed 1-3 dropouts per cd - that is not fine for me. I asked the service at Topping for new firmware - but there is no newer official version - but the service said sometimes the jitter from source is too high - if so there is no workaround. Because my players are ok i tried another thing. My first smartphone usb power supply was to small for the E30II I connected a chinese goobay power supply with 1.5A - thats works but with this dropouts.
So I replaced on monday this thing with an Apple USB power supply - and since then - no more drop- out on coax. Apple photos attached.
Cord

Attachments

• Apple ps3.jpg
    Apple ps3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 62
  • Apple ps2.jpg
    Apple ps2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Apple ps1.jpg
    Apple ps1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 63

penguin

Just ordered it. Anyone know why it isn't listed at tpdz.net?

Going to replace it with my Henry Audio USB DAC Mk3 wich has a single AKM4430 chip. Will I see an improvement in sound, using the USB in from my computer? Bought it to play DSD.

litguy

Maybe interesting for E30II users. I'm using the E30II only in DAC mode and only with my cd player via coax cable. I noticed 1-3 dropouts per cd - that is not fine for me. I asked the service at Topping for new firmware - but there is no newer official version - but the service said sometimes the jitter from source is too high - if so there is no workaround. Because my players are ok i tried another thing. My first smartphone usb power supply was to small for the E30II I connected a chinese goobay power supply with 1.5A - thats works but with this dropouts.
So I replaced on monday this thing with an Apple USB power supply - and since then - no more drop- out on coax. Apple photos attached.
Cord
I have a DVD player, my topping D50 cannot lock coax signal, so I bought a E30II for DVD, it locks signal success withouth any dropouts.

cola

Yes - perhaps it depends what power supply is used - looks like that is important for proper operation. Would be clever if Topping add a ps by default.

Cord

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a DVD player, my topping D50 cannot lock coax signal, so I bought a E30II for DVD, it locks signal success withouth any dropouts.
E30 ii was programmed for maximum compatibility :)

shawnbd

Cord
Thank you for the advice, I found a samsung 5V adapter model is EP-TA50UWE and an Apple 10W A1357, using the USB tester test results are as follow.

Attachments

• samsung adapter.PNG
    samsung adapter.PNG
    692.5 KB · Views: 80
  • samsung2.PNG
    samsung2.PNG
    508.4 KB · Views: 77
  • samsung.PNG
    samsung.PNG
    691.5 KB · Views: 79
  • apple adepter.PNG
    apple adepter.PNG