• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

penguin

Just ordered it. Anyone know why it isn't listed at tpdz.net?

Going to replace it with my Henry Audio USB DAC Mk3 wich has a single AKM4430 chip. Will I see an improvement in sound, using the USB in from my computer? Bought it to play DSD.

litguy

Maybe interesting for E30II users. I'm using the E30II only in DAC mode and only with my cd player via coax cable. I noticed 1-3 dropouts per cd - that is not fine for me. I asked the service at Topping for new firmware - but there is no newer official version - but the service said sometimes the jitter from source is too high - if so there is no workaround. Because my players are ok i tried another thing. My first smartphone usb power supply was to small for the E30II I connected a chinese goobay power supply with 1.5A - thats works but with this dropouts.
So I replaced on monday this thing with an Apple USB power supply - and since then - no more drop- out on coax. Apple photos attached.
Cord
I have a DVD player, my topping D50 cannot lock coax signal, so I bought a E30II for DVD, it locks signal success withouth any dropouts.

cola

Yes - perhaps it depends what power supply is used - looks like that is important for proper operation. Would be clever if Topping add a ps by default.

Cord

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a DVD player, my topping D50 cannot lock coax signal, so I bought a E30II for DVD, it locks signal success withouth any dropouts.
E30 ii was programmed for maximum compatibility :)

shawnbd

Maybe interesting for E30II users. I'm using the E30II only in DAC mode and only with my cd player via coax cable. I noticed 1-3 dropouts per cd - that is not fine for me. I asked the service at Topping for new firmware - but there is no newer official version - but the service said sometimes the jitter from source is too high - if so there is no workaround. Because my players are ok i tried another thing. My first smartphone usb power supply was to small for the E30II I connected a chinese goobay power supply with 1.5A - thats works but with this dropouts.
So I replaced on monday this thing with an Apple USB power supply - and since then - no more drop- out on coax. Apple photos attached.
Cord
Thank you for the advice, I found a samsung 5V adapter model is EP-TA50UWE and an Apple 10W A1357, using the USB tester test results are as follow.

Attachments

• samsung adapter.PNG
    samsung adapter.PNG
    692.5 KB · Views: 179
  • samsung2.PNG
    samsung2.PNG
    508.4 KB · Views: 166
  • samsung.PNG
    samsung.PNG
    691.5 KB · Views: 172
  • apple adepter.PNG
    apple adepter.PNG
    755.9 KB · Views: 162
  • apple.PNG
    apple.PNG
    425.8 KB · Views: 158

frki16

I found out an interesting thing about this DAC yesterday. I finally put together the setup in the living room (elac DBR62, NAD C356, E30 II, stands filled with sand, shortened the wires to the speakers :) ) and noticed that when I turn up the volume to about 80dB, the vocals are distorted. The problem would disappear at about 70dB. That was a little strange to me, but I reconciled myself and attributed it to the acoustics of the room. Then I remembered that I could try to connect the DAC in direct mode to the NAD preamplifier (until now the DAC worked in pramp mode and the NAD as a power amplifier).
And boom, the problem disappeared, everything became great even at levels around 90dB!
This DAC shows great measurements in direct mode, but obviously not so good in preamp mode.
What I also noticed earlier is that when the E30 is in preamp mode, it couldn't push NAD to produce more than about 95dB, but while in direct mode even half-amplified NAD produce more than 100dB.
Has anyone experienced something similar?

Toku

Major Contributor
The COAX input on the Topping D50/D50s has a serious flaw.
I purchased the D50 immediately after its release and tested its operation in detail, but the devices that can be connected to the COAX input are extremely limited.
I immediately reported this to Topping and they confirmed the issue themselves. But after that there is no improvement report. The D50 has since changed to the D50s, but the problem with the COAX input still carries over to the D50s.

Twotone

Hi guys, new user here long time lurker.

I'm Tony from the UK, Glasgow.

Apologies in advance for the, likely, repetitive question however here goes:)

I'm about to buy an E30 or E30ii Dac, there's a seller on Amazon UK selling the E30 for £100 posted or £149 for the E30ii version posted but I'm a bit concerned that I might end up with an old serial number (problem related) E30.

I have recently had a D10s which I liked and sold cause I needed more inputs for the TV etc everything then was going into a Yamaha AS-501which I've also since sold but I'll likely only need to use the USB input in whichever DAC I end up buying so I could just buy another D10 or 10s but I'd like to be able to use other inputs into the DAC just in case as I'm a bit of a box swapper so which version of the E30 should I buy given that they sound the same?

I have read of the various problems associated with these DACs ie the jitter problem re the COAX input etc.

Basically I just want to be able to listen to my Flac files that are stored on a HDD without any problems well not many problems.

My current amp is a Marantz NR1200 which I'm more than happy with but I have an RPi 3 running Volumio with my music on a HDD connected to the RPi so I want to listen to my music again although I can use the internal DAC in the RPi and use a 3.5mm to two RCA cable into the Maranzt via an RCA input but would prefer to use an external USB dac which is why I'm going to buy another DAC.

I don't own a CD player or Blu-ray player, DVD player or games consul and probably never will but you never know:cool:

I mainly stream audio locally and listen to internet radio and stream movies/TV programs from the likes of Netflix & BBC iplayer, Disney plus and Apple.

My TV is set to PCM for audio but it's connected to the Marantz via HDMI so stereo out from the Marantz but I can connect the TV digital out if I have to to the Marantz too which has plenty of inputs so I'll probably never have to connect anything digital into the Topping E30/E30ii anyway.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:

frki16

Hi guys, new user here long time lurker.

I'm Tony from the UK, Glasgow.

Apologies in advance for the, likely, repetitive question however here goes:)

I'm about to buy an E30 or E30ii Dac, there's a seller on Amazon UK selling the E30 for £100 posted or £149 for the E30ii version posted but I'm a bit concerned that I might end up with an old serial number (problem related) E30.

I have recently had a D10s which I liked and sold cause I needed more inputs for the TV etc everything then was going into a Yamaha AS-501which I'veal;so since sold but I'll likely only need to use the USB input in whichever DAC I end up buying so I could just buy another D10 or 10s but I'd like to be able to use other inputs into the DAC just in case as I'm a bit of a box swapper so which version of the E30 should I buy given that they sound the same but I have read of the various problems associated with these DACs ie the jitter problem re the COAX input etc.

Basically I just want to be able to listen to my Flac files that are stored on a HDD without any problems well not many problems.

My current amp is a Marantz NR1200 which I'm more than happy with but I have an RPi 3 running Volumio with my music on a HDD connected to the RPi so I want to listen to my music again although I can use the internal DAC in the RPi and use a 3.5mm to two RCA cable into the Maranzt via an RCA input but would prefer to use an external USB dac which is why I'm going to buy another DAC.

I don't own a CD player or Blu-ray player, DVD player or games consul and probably never will but you never know:cool:

I mainly stream audio locally and listen to internet radio and stream movies/TV programs from the likes of Netflix & BBC iplayer, Disney plus and Apple.

My TV is set to PCM for audio but it's connected to the Marantz via HDMI so stereo out from the Marantz but I can connect the TV digital out if I have to to the Marantz too which has plenty of inputs so I'll probably never have to connect anything digital into the Topping E30/E30ii anyway.

Thanks

Tony
what is the question?

Jole

Uhm, sorry, no. The standard warranty time in EU is 2 years. And it does not matter if it is $150 or $1500, the mindset of creating things that become ewaste after one year should not be tolerated.

On other side, We have bought these things because they appear to be well made, and audio gears generally lasted a long time. We should protest with our wallet
I have some micro headamp around 100 euro if I can remeber bought at least before 5 years ..Will not say company...but from Austria...still works excellent...so we review performance but not how much will last super...like butterfly beutifull and lives one day

notsodeadlizard

I found out an interesting thing about this DAC yesterday. I finally put together the setup in the living room (elac DBR62, NAD C356, E30 II, stands filled with sand, shortened the wires to the speakers :) ) and noticed that when I turn up the volume to about 80dB, the vocals are distorted. The problem would disappear at about 70dB. That was a little strange to me, but I reconciled myself and attributed it to the acoustics of the room. Then I remembered that I could try to connect the DAC in direct mode to the NAD preamplifier (until now the DAC worked in pramp mode and the NAD as a power amplifier).
And boom, the problem disappeared, everything became great even at levels around 90dB!
This DAC shows great measurements in direct mode, but obviously not so good in preamp mode.
What I also noticed earlier is that when the E30 is in preamp mode, it couldn't push NAD to produce more than about 95dB, but while in direct mode even half-amplified NAD produce more than 100dB.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
It's not so interesting because this DAC is not a preamp at all. It's a standard 2Vrms output source the same as any classical CD player. It should be written in capital bold letters in the documentation on the first page. But the device is so cheap for its quality that no one spent money on documentation.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's not so interesting because this DAC is not a preamp at all. It's a standard 2Vrms output source the same as any classical CD player. It should be written in capital bold letters in the documentation on the first page. But the device is so cheap for its quality that no one spent money on documentation.
What's the problem? 2V should be enough to be compatible with most hi-fi equipment. What I find more important is the very low output impedance and low noise. The volume can be controlled using the internal DAC function, without the bit-loss that can occur when using the player software volume control. I have not experienced the problems described, nor do I understand them.

My E30II is connected to my active monitor speakers. A perfect match. I am happy with its sound.

topping-e30.jpg

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

What's the problem? 2V should be enough to be compatible with most hi-fi equipment. What I find more important is the very low output impedance and low noise. The volume can be controlled using the internal DAC function, without the bit-loss that can occur when using the player software volume control. I have not experienced the problems described, nor do I understand them.

My E30II is connected to my active monitor speakers. A perfect match. I am happy with its sound.

View attachment 265531

If this DAC it's connected to any typical (excepts phono) preamp input, everything will be OK if the amp is from CD (or post-CD) era.
It is better not to connect the output of this DAC directly to the input of a power amplifier with a rating of 80 watts into an 8 ohm load at 0.95V input (NAD C356).
It's what I'm talking about.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If this DAC it's connected to any typical (excepts phono) preamp input, everything will be OK if the amp is from CD (or post-CD) era.
It is better not to connect the output of this DAC directly to the input of a power amplifier with a rating of 80 watts into an 8 ohm load at 0.95V input (NAD C356).
It's what I'm talking about.
Maybe someone else understands your problem with the DAC. I am not. Good luck! :)

Top Bottom