• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

VariousArtists

What's the problem? 2V should be enough to be compatible with most hi-fi equipment. What I find more important is the very low output impedance and low noise. The volume can be controlled using the internal DAC function, without the bit-loss that can occur when using the player software volume control. I have not experienced the problems described, nor do I understand them.

My E30II is connected to my active monitor speakers. A perfect match. I am happy with its sound.

View attachment 265531
Off-topic but which speaker stand is this?

conuss

If this DAC it's connected to any typical (excepts phono) preamp input, everything will be OK if the amp is from CD (or post-CD) era.
It is better not to connect the output of this DAC directly to the input of a power amplifier with a rating of 80 watts into an 8 ohm load at 0.95V input (NAD C356).
It's what I'm talking about.
What are you talking about? What happened to you in this case?

sniegs

Does it remember the last setting for an incoming source (eg usb/optical) when you power cycle it?
And does it make a pop sound in the speakers when switching between input sources or powering it up?
Has anyone seen a real difference in sound using a Linear PSU?

Joel G

Hi guys, new user here long time lurker.

I'm Tony from the UK, Glasgow.

Apologies in advance for the, likely, repetitive question however here goes:)

I'm about to buy an E30 or E30ii Dac, there's a seller on Amazon UK selling the E30 for £100 posted or £149 for the E30ii version posted but I'm a bit concerned that I might end up with an old serial number (problem related) E30.

I have recently had a D10s which I liked and sold cause I needed more inputs for the TV etc everything then was going into a Yamaha AS-501which I've also since sold but I'll likely only need to use the USB input in whichever DAC I end up buying so I could just buy another D10 or 10s but I'd like to be able to use other inputs into the DAC just in case as I'm a bit of a box swapper so which version of the E30 should I buy given that they sound the same?

I have read of the various problems associated with these DACs ie the jitter problem re the COAX input etc.

Basically I just want to be able to listen to my Flac files that are stored on a HDD without any problems well not many problems.

My current amp is a Marantz NR1200 which I'm more than happy with but I have an RPi 3 running Volumio with my music on a HDD connected to the RPi so I want to listen to my music again although I can use the internal DAC in the RPi and use a 3.5mm to two RCA cable into the Maranzt via an RCA input but would prefer to use an external USB dac which is why I'm going to buy another DAC.

I don't own a CD player or Blu-ray player, DVD player or games consul and probably never will but you never know:cool:

I mainly stream audio locally and listen to internet radio and stream movies/TV programs from the likes of Netflix & BBC iplayer, Disney plus and Apple.

My TV is set to PCM for audio but it's connected to the Marantz via HDMI so stereo out from the Marantz but I can connect the TV digital out if I have to to the Marantz too which has plenty of inputs so I'll probably never have to connect anything digital into the Topping E30/E30ii anyway.

Thanks

Tony
Hi Tony @Twotone

I owned a D10 which I basically only used to improve a Chromecast audio via toslink, one day one channel died and I bought the E30 first version to replace it. It works great in all of its inputs. As said works fine with the Chromecast via toslink, then I have used it to “improve” my Rotel RCD-1072 via Coaxial and it works flawless, only thing is that I still prefer the sound of the Rotel unbalanced outputs better than via the E30. Also usb works great with my mac mostly on Tidal streaming. I’m not sure about flac files unfortunately, but I haven’t experienced any trouble / jitter or whatsoever yet. Cheers

Nordling

If this DAC it's connected to any typical (excepts phono) preamp input, everything will be OK if the amp is from CD (or post-CD) era.
It is better not to connect the output of this DAC directly to the input of a power amplifier with a rating of 80 watts into an 8 ohm load at 0.95V input (NAD C356).
It's what I'm talking about.
You mean: when a signal’s voltage exceeds the input sensitivity of an amp clipping and distortion can occur.
That could indeed be the case.

Reactions: EJ3

notsodeadlizard

What are you talking about? What happened to you in this case?
Nothing.
Or something like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-fried-my-speakers.38706/
Or there will be clipping time to time.
Or something else interesting occurs.

The rule about this DAC is very simple: use it as a DAC (m - d mode) for 2Vrms compatible input because it's a 2 Vrms output DAC.
And understand that what is called as "preamplifier" in the terrible "documentation" is a same DAC, but with the multibit conversion and digital attenuator.

It's a good DAC for its money, yes.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Since the E30 has a usable volume control, a preamplifier can usually be dispensed with. Unless you need a higher output voltage for a special reason. I have no problem with the designation 'preamplifier function', because I can use the E30II with exactly this function at my place.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since the E30 has a usable volume control, a preamplifier can usually be dispensed with. Unless you need a higher output voltage for a special reason. I have no problem with the designation 'preamplifier function', because I can use the E30II with exactly this function at my place.
I use my e70 with the same function as well. works great.

notsodeadlizard

Nobody forbids you to do this especially if inputs of those integrated in your speakers amps are 2Vrms compatible (I'm sure they are).
This does not change the general rule.
Of course, you cannot use this DAС fully, for DSD (for example), solely because you do not have a preamp with a volume control.
In general, this is a small grief, because DSD requires too high quality equipment and everything else.
It's hard to understand what makes you so excited.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
is
Nobody forbids you to do this especially if inputs of those integrated in your speakers amps are 2Vrms compatible (I'm sure they are).
This does not change the general rule.
Of course, you cannot use this DAС fully, for DSD (for example), solely because you do not have a preamp with a volume control.
In general, this is a small grief, because DSD requires too high quality equipment and everything else.
It's hard to understand what makes you so excited.
Is it a disscusion or a provocation please calm.

Roland68

Major Contributor
That depends. In my opinion, the E30, like most other DACs, has neither a volume control nor a preamp function.
The amount of data (resolution) is only reduced before the conversion to analogue in order to achieve a reduction in volume. In addition, the output setting for each DAC Ship is to convert 100% of the data into analog, so that there is always 100% volume at the output. Should any kind of malfunction occur, the power amplifier will be driven with these 100%.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
How the volume control is implemented has already been explained several times in the ASR. It is a function of the DAC chip. As far as I know, there is no risk of bit loss. Perhaps someone would like to bring this up again or explain it.

Malfunctions are always bad and can lead to consequential damage under certain circumstances. In my case, there is no such danger. Even at 100% output (2V), my active speakers would not be destroyed. They even have a protective circuit.

notsodeadlizard

How the volume control is implemented has already been explained several times in the ASR. It is a function of the DAC chip. As far as I know, there is no risk of bit loss. Perhaps someone would like to bring this up again or explain it.

Malfunctions are always bad and can lead to consequential damage under certain circumstances. In my case, there is no such danger. Even at 100% output (2V), my active speakers would not be destroyed. They even have a protective circuit.
I'll have to explain again, I guess.
One person owns the integrated amplifier NAD C356.
This amplifier has a separate power amplifier input.
According to the documentation, 0.95V at the input of this amplifier produces a full 80 watts into an 8 ohm load.
This person, for unknown reasons, connected the output of the E30 to this input.
Then he got "strange effects" in the form of strong distortions at some attenuator values.
Then this man connected the E30 to the normal input of the NAD preamp, and a miracle happened, distortion is gone.
And another person once did the same, and with a randomly set attenuation level of 0 dB (2Vrms at output), burned the speaker.
I answered the NAD owner.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
BTW:

There are also a few DACs that still use analogue potentiometers for volume control. This might be desirable for some people who don't like digital control.
For example, the iFi Audio ZEN DAC V2. You can see the potentiometer on the mainboard.

The manual says:

"The analogue volume control in the ZEN DAC V2 is sonically superior to any digital volume control.
It can be used to control the headphone volume and the preamplifier volume (when set to "Variable").

Note: With this type of volume control, channel imbalance may occur in the lower volume range. Try setting the ZEN DAC V2 so that
your volume for listening is around 11 - 13 o'clock."

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: With this type of volume control, channel imbalance may occur in the lower volume range. Try setting the ZEN DAC V2 so that
your volume for listening is around 11 - 13 o'clock."
This always makes me laugh. So, apply some of the not so good digital attenuation to get the level to the point where you can use the pot without too much channel imbalance.

Hapo

...I was feeling all relevant as I just bought one of these and wanted to say something just like this, even though I am not using my E30 as a preamp...

...maybe it would be more politicly correct if we just called it a volume control...

...I am using a Schitt headphone amp as a preamp on one system...it that more PC...???...

...I don't really consider either true preamp as I can't connect multiple devices and select inputs...

...I wasn't even considering all these other "issues"...

...I remember not buying one before because of the E30's dependence upon the remote control...I always seem to lose those...

Sokel

Master Contributor
Any (non passive) pre-amp has to include positive gain to my humble opinion,that's what "amp" stands for.
Anything else can be called attenuator or whatever else.
A real pre-amp has at least some gain,multiple inputs AND outputs and the ability to drive anything (impedance wise) down and up stream.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
About what name is 'politically correct' for this kind of device, to be honest, I don't want to worry about that either.

What else comes to mind. I could also call my E30II a 'monitor controller' because that's what it does.

To complete the confusion of terms. Some call a box with a potentiometer in it or a stepper attenuator or a TVC a 'passive preamp'. I wouldn't use the term that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom