• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 80 33.9%

• Total voters

LIΟN

Thanks for review! I bought it for microphone input and testing, but I think I chose the right one

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This largely validates my plan to replace my Motu M2 with this. It’s mostly for the headphone amp - should drive my DCA Noire cans well enough that I can avoid a separate amp.

very much looking forward to a simpler setup again. I like the M2, and the power of the Topping A90 Discrete, but will be selling both to achieve an emptier desk. ( if anyone’s interested in either, please do let me know.)
One of the things I really like about the m4 is the double outputs. I have one set powering a sub and the other powering monitors. The MOTU also has beautiful very legible meters, although these may be just as good.

If you do need lots of juice for headphones the MOTU isn't quite as good as this I think but it's good enough for most people most of the time.

I really like the software interface. Another set of outputs and a couple bands of switchable EQ on every output would be an instant buy for me.

This is a wonderful device though, and I commend Topping for delivering such a mature product in a new area.

D!sco

Both the ADC and software interface are important stepping stones to a fully fledged DSP device. Good to see both are nice.

JSmith

Master Contributor
An interesting product for Topping, well priced for sure. The DAC performance isn't as good as it could be though... I'd pay more for better measured performance there. Appreciate the time in testing this @amirm.

JSmith

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If measurements are a priority, I might consider a 4th gen Scarlett 4i4 instead. It's got a very nice low-distortion line-in and converters with higher dynamic range. Though the E2x2 mic-in is no slouch for what it is and should top out at >105 dB of SINAD (John Yang even says it can hit 110).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm,
Topping Professional E2x2 audio interface
Would it be rude to consider this hardware not worthy of being called a 'professional' hardware?
Sure! For those consumers interested in higher grade audio hardware, this would most certainly fit the "bill" and at the right price.
But... I hope such gear is not like contagious virus and catches on in recording studios!
imo: Not SOTA enough for pro!:confused:

Last edited:

aviavi

@amirm , would be nice for interface reviews in the future to show round-trip latency of the driver and interface. Similar to this.

There are many interfaces that are very high performing in measurements but useless for tracking use in studio environments due to monitoring latency.
This guy measured the latency (and other parameters) of this interface:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was tempted to return the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 4th Gen I just bought ($139), but can’t really find the reason to do so. Can anyone come up with reasons?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Software is the hardest part -- you can imagine that Topping could easily pair the software with different tiers of DACs or ADCs. Impressive!

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know how you can put "customer service" and "Behringer" in the same sentence. I bought one of their speakers on Amazon. Measured it. It was clearly broken. Initiated a warranty repair. After some delay and back and forth, they said to send it to them which I did. Even though I had bought this from Amazon and I had shown then a copy of my online receipt, they answered that I had not provided proper proof of purchase so I had to send them that order reference again. After a while they said they have no parts for it so can't repair it. And proceeded to close the ticket without any offer of a refund!!! So now I not only had lost the original purchase price but cost of shipping too. I tried to get their attention again but they would not respond. BTW, this is on top of the stupid "tribe" thing you have to register just to submit such a ticket.

A few months went by and I decided to contact their sales channel and telling them (again) that I am reviewer. This got their attention and they then offered to make a refund. But not to my credit card but with a wire transfer to my back account (!). I provided all of the information and they say that the info must be wrong as they can't do the transfer. I check with my bank and it is all correct. I send again but they still complain and once again proceed to close my ticket!

The above went on for some 9 months. A couple of months ago on a whim, I complained to Amazon. They immediately issued a refund to me even though this was not their fault.

Based on this, I would never, ever buy anything Behringer.

@amirm
Customer support should be better than this. I wonder why it can’t be?

Incidentally, my laptop died last month. No power on, no charge light when power connected.

The laptop is a personal laptop, 6 years old, and is out of warranty. 6 years is an eternity in the word of tech, and it’s been through 1 new battery change) so i thought it was fair time to buy another.

Then one afternoon, I was working on something and happened to come across the on-line chat icon for said manufacturer of the dead laptop. I thought I would query how I could recover data from the old laptop to the new one I had purchased. It was established that it my laptop is long out of warranty, but after some Q&A- online chat person was able to resurrect the laptop! No fake AI!!!

So now I have a new laptop, as well my old laptop… complete with all the data!

I was over the moon.

3 days later I received a phone call to my personal mobile- … “sorry… who are you? My line is a bit noisy,” I asked

I am from Lenovo… and we just wanted to check if your laptop has been exhibiting any more power problems since it started up 3 days ago.

“No-But hey thanks for following this up and calling!”

So I’m on my next Lenovo X1 Carbon, not the 6 year old one… but it won’t be my last…

Last edited:

shuppatsu

Would it be rude to consider this hardware not worthy of being called a 'professional' hardware?
Sure! For those consumers interested in higher grade audio hardware, this would most certainly fit the "bill" and at the right price.
But... I hope such gear is not like contagious virus and catches on in recording studios!
I'd expect many professionals would be satisfied with the measurements, because they are very good and SOTA is beside the point. I wouldn't expect studios to be buying this because Topping doesn't have a rock-solid reputation for reliability and support, and that's more important.

Compact_D

IMO Topping's niche was an "entry level" interface like "Focusrite Clarett" but with a top class DAC and yes, a proper headphone amplifier. This would solve a problem of "needing" an audio interface but "wanting" a top tier DAC for listening. Then, next one could aim at RME at a somewhat cheaper price.
At the moment, this target looks completely missed. If anyone needs an entry level audio interface, there are cheaper options and even things like practice amps with one built in. Not sure what this one really achieves.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

The vast majority of the pro market doesn't have SOTA performance. Performance isn't the main concern.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At the moment, this target looks completely missed. If anyone needs an entry level audio interface, there are cheaper options and even things like practice amps with one built in. Not sure what this one really achieves.
They do have the domestic market to serve as well. There, they have the upper hand being local.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this review of an interesting device.

Interfaces are different beast than typical DAC or ADC.
To begin with, they are usually meant to output higher level. So I think that the plot of SINAD vs level is important here, not just 4V SINAD alone.

ADC is coming with a mic preamplifier.
Noise and dynamic range are the 2 main differentiator here.
EIN for a gain setting corresponding to 100mV full scale (or for the gain where saturation pushes THD to 0.1% with 100mV input) is mostly what you want to compare.

A plot of dynamic range vs gain is usefull but takes a lot of time.

Usually, dynamic range difference is higher at low gains, so the dynamic range at the gain where 4V is 0dBFS or 0.1% THD is still telling a lot.
I thing standardizing gain is as important as standardizing level, to compare interface inputs, since the gain markings don't have an aligned meaning.

Interfaces usually have DSP on board, for EQ and dynamics. Does this one have one ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interfaces usually have DSP on board, for EQ and dynamics. Does this one have one ?
No. Mid to low end ones don't have either from any manufacturer that I have tested.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not the performance we expected,specially on the DAC part which is a 15 yo performance considering interfaces at similar price.
My main worry is the 48V button right next to XRL sockets which is way too easy to press while plugging and unplugging,it would be a good idea these buttons not to be instant but time dependent (2-3 sec to activate)

Thanks Amir!

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it was a bad decision to have an USB-C digital input in a unit of this kind. I don´t like USB-C inputs in laptops either, but here it´s intended use require in my mind a solid connection.

Top Bottom