• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 vs Loxjie D50 vs SMSL M400 vs SMSL SU-9

simplywyn

These Dac all seem to be pretty equal, which one to buy? I currently have a Topping D90, and compared to my other Dacs it feels a bit lifeless. When I plugin the SMSL M200, there seems to be more musicality to the music (not so analytical)... possibly just because how the SMSL M200 looks compared to the topping (honestly no idea)

Out of all these, which one do you guys recommend I get (need a new Dac for another system)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
compared to my other Dacs it feels a bit lifeless.
seems to be more musicality to the music (not so analytical)
Your mind is playing tricks on you. :D If in doubt do a blind listening test where they are level matched and the system that is used is all the same for each test.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Your mind is playing tricks on you. :D If in doubt do a blind listening test where they are level matched and the system that is used is all the same for each test.

I just got a loxjie d50, and a topping d90, and a M200... they all sound different... maybe it's because I can see the loxjie logo and the topping logo lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got a loxjie d50, and a topping d90, and a M200... they all sound different... maybe it's because I can see the loxjie logo and the topping logo lol.
If they have not been tested then send them in for @amirm to test them ;)

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

If they have not been tested then send them in for @amirm to test them ;)

He has tested all of them. But honestly, I have just done a side by side comparison on my headphones, and Loxjie is hugely different from Topping. I prefer the topping far more

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He has tested all of them. But honestly, I have just done a side by side comparison on my headphones, and Loxjie is hugely different from Topping. I prefer the topping far more
What is better on the Topping?

Technically

Can you please tell us what were the noticeable differences between them ? i am really curious on why you preferred Topping...

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

What is better on the Topping?

How can I put it

What's better on Loxjie D50 - sound stage seems to be wider, detail is high in the mids, the bass is lacking and there is slight harshness in the overall sound. Overall the sound sounded flatter, and greyer, the sharp high sounds felt sharp, overall a bit more artificial. For some reason D50 just felt like it had a ton more noise.

What's better on Topping D90 - much lower sound stage, much better bass than d50, thicker cleaner hits, sound feel like it has more amplitude (like the hits sound faster and harder than D50, which sounds flatter). D90 is dead silent and clear sound, but soundstage is lowered.

Reactions: Zog

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What's better on Loxjie D50 - sound stage seems to be wider, detail is high in the mids, the bass is lacking and there is slight harshness in the overall sound. Overall the sound sounded flatter, and greyer, the sharp high sounds felt sharp, overall a bit more artificial.

How did you go about making this comparison?

BrokenOath

I just bought the SMSL SU9, although it sounds good but I feel as if something is missing, as if I have put a sheet on top of my speakers. I have compared it to my Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 Deluxe (ES9038 Pro balanced, Signal tubes: Russian 6n23p, Rectifier tube: RCA 5U4G), the MP-D2 sounded much clearer, mull fuller, better instrument separation, overall better sound. Yet, if audioscience were to measure the MP-D2 it would have measured badly due to the tubes. Better measurement is not an absolute indication of better sound.

BrokenOath

Are you sure it's the updated version?

"Better sound" is personally subjective, measurements are the bare hard facts.

JSmith
Per the version numbers from the display menu:
HW ver: 1.0
Sw ver: 1.2
USB ver: 2.06
Date code 2020

JSmith

Master Contributor
Per the version numbers from the display menu
I don't think the update I'm referring to can be checked that way, the device needs to be measured... sorry this is a long thread but all the info is there;

JSmith

BrokenOath

I don't think the update I'm referring to can be checked that way, the device needs to be measured... sorry this is a long thread but all the info is there;

JSmith
Thank you for the head's up. I can confirm that my unit has the problem discussed in that smsl_m500 thread. I can hear that strange intermittent faint noise at the left channel; at first I thought it was being caused by the left channel tube of my tube amp, but since I am not getting the same problem when the amp is driven by my other DAC, then it is definitely due to the SU9.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Topping D90 SE: Amir's review.
Topping D90: Amir's review and my teardown for D90 MQA.
Loxjie D50: Amir's review.
SMSL M400: Amir's review and Amir's teardown.
SMSL SU-9: Amir's review.

I was personally choosing the D90 MQA few months ago, but that doesn't means it's better than the other three from this thread.

It all depends on what you're looking for. Loxjie D50 might have a fancier look then the D90, the rotary knob that might be better than just couple of small knobs, the higher output volume on the XLR outputs (although additional care is needed when pairing it with an external amplifier), also the price might be a bit lower.

Same better look comes from SMSL SU-9 as well and given that all these DACs are all sharing about the same boring-perfect measurements you might choose the one that has a better offer or warranty in your continent.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

I now have the Topping D90, the Loxjie D50 and a Denafrips Ares II

Let me know if you want me to give some comparisons.

chocomamey

I now have the Topping D90, the Loxjie D50 and a Denafrips Ares II

Let me know if you want me to give some comparisons.
yes please.I have Smsl su9 but dont know if the effort to reach one of those is Big enough to make a move ...Dont need IIS inputs xlrs.

Top Bottom