• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation of a AK4499EX-Based DAC?

Kiko1974

I own an SMSL DO300 EX that uses the AKM AK4191plus one AK4499 EX and I LOVE the sound of It, despite using only ONE AK4499 EX and not two.
I have a question regarding this chipset combination: there's a DSD filter on the configuration menu, Wide and Narrow. I guess Wide plays DSD full range, ultrasonic noise and all, and Narrow will cut off higher frequencies to avoid ultrasonic noise to get to the amp and speakers that may cause some distorsion. But does anynody know at what frequency does the Narrow filter cuts off?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I own an SMSL DO300 EX that uses the AKM AK4191plus one AK4499 EX and I LOVE the sound of It, despite using only ONE AK4499 EX and not two.
I have a question regarding this chipset combination: there's a DSD filter on the configuration menu, Wide and Narrow. I guess Wide plays DSD full range, ultrasonic noise and all, and Narrow will cut off higher frequencies to avoid ultrasonic noise to get to the amp and speakers that may cause some distorsion. But does anynody know at what frequency does the Narrow filter cuts off?
That probably relates to this:
1712148421509.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid I don't understand this frequency chart. Maybe the first value, "DSDD" means "DSD Direct", that is the non processing DSD that's available on the configuration menu. This IS just a guess. But the rest of the values, no idea.
I don't know what DSDD means, the datasheet doesn't tell you ;) When 0, it's in "normal mode" (as opposed to Volume Bypass mode). So the above shows what happens in the block that is called "DSD Filter 1". There is not much explanation of what happens in "DSD Filter 2", just this:
1712151994493.png

It also has some switchable parameters..

Top Bottom