• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation of a AK4499EX-Based DAC?

lyramax

I am considering getting a DAC that uses the AK4191EQ/AK4499EX chip set. There are several DACs using this AKM chip combo that are nearly in the same price range: Topping E70V, SMSL M400, SMSL DO400EX, SMSL SU-9 Ultra.

Any recommendation on which one to get?

sonitus mirus

I am considering getting a DAC that uses the AK4191EQ/AK4499EX chip set. There are several DACs using this AKM chip combo that are nearly in the same price range: Topping E70V, SMSL M400, SMSL DO400EX, SMSL SU-9 Ultra.

What is your purpose for obtaining a DAC with this specific chipset? It is impossible to make any rational recommendation without some understanding of what you are seeking to accomplish.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish so we can give helpful advice. For the ones you have listed. Read our hosts reviews for insight into their engineering quality and price. If they are of similar engineering quality and price then just pick the one that had the features you want and the look you like.

Hollywood_Bob

"What is your purpose for obtaining a DAC with this specific chipset?"

Because that's what he wants.

Just the same as for most people on this forum who have purchased equipment with technology and qualities that they wanted it to have.

Topping and SMSL dacs have had good reviews by Amir, so look at the features that you want, and compare the prices.

Hollywood_Bob

I like the end quote on your post : "The only way to be rid of temptation is to yield to it."

But I prefer Robert Heinlein's version: "Never let temptation pass you by. It may not come your way again."
Also, as you get older, never pass by the opportunity to use a washroom; you never know when you will really need it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the end quote on your post : "The only way to be rid of temptation is to yield to it."

But I prefer Robert Heinlein's version: "Never let temptation pass you by. It may not come your way again."
I think the quote is from Oscar Wilde, maybe.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish so we can give helpful advice. For the ones you have listed. Read our hosts reviews for insight into their engineering quality and price. If they are of similar engineering quality and price then just pick the one that had the features you want and the look you like.
New members ask questions like this all the time. Hopefully we can educate them...

b7676

The iiwi guy said the more expensive smsl are better, but certainly not twice or thrice the E70V's value.
DX9 is the present sound jewelry piece.

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is your purpose for obtaining a DAC with this specific chipset? It is impossible to make any rational recommendation without some understanding of what you are seeking to accomplish.

Is this another "my golden ears are so good that my sighted comparisons is better than any ABX?"

bigguyca

As with most questions such as this one, the answer is NO.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we have been a bit unfair to the OP. He is not asking for recommendations for DAC chips, he has short listed a number of DACs and asking for recommendations for which one to get.

Specs wise they are all the same. If price wise they are all the same, then I'd look into the one which offers more features. SMSL DACs seem to have more input output options so I'd probably go with one of them if I were you.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the E70 Velvet and Octo and you literally can't tell a difference between them and the D10b I use every day. The E70 has the nice double RCA/XLR balanced connectors, 5v output, and the form factor let's you put many amps on top of it like the E70 or A30 Pro fits well.
It's up to you how much you want to spend on connectivity, but make sure your amp can handle 5volt input without clipping or your really throwing money out the window.
I always pick the filter with lowest distortion, so it's all form factor and features you'll get.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
clearly AKM has the "Velvet Sound™"

you cant explain that... tide goes in, tides goes out

and yes I agree I have DACs from the three majors, AKM CS and ESS and when implemented correctly you will not pass an DBX

but i mean we all have preferences... just go to smsl website and find the cheapest AKM 449X with the feature set you need

Roland68

Major Contributor
The more pertinent question though may be why. ;)

I have a feeling the OP has read or been told that AKM will have a certain "sound".

JSmith
It's not just anyone who says that, it's AKM and it's called VELVET SOUND.

Top Bottom