• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping e50 vs smsl d-6s, schiit magni+ vs schiit magni heretic vs topping l30 ii beyerdynamics dt 880 premium 250 ohm

amirsam

Hey guys
Help me to choose the best dsd capable dac, an amp that sounds great with dt 880 250 ohm. I can't choose the best dac between these two Topping e50 vs smsl d-6s. Help me to choose the best amp between these schiit magni+ vs schiit magni heretic vs topping l30 ii for beyerdynamics dt 880 premium 250 ohm.
How does dt 880 premium sound in terms of Sq compare to hifiman HD 400 se & akg k702?
I enjoy neutral sound with high detail & good Soundstage & percision.
Any help will be appreciated
Regards

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got or had everything you list. The Topping E50 is excellent, for DSD playback just setup foobar with the instructions in the driver/manual zip file. The Topping L30 II is great, and especially good if you ever get into IEMs as it's got a totally silent noise floor. I've got the L30II/E30II stack and several E50's and you can go wrong. The DT880 250 ohm is the best, just a solid choice for anyone who isn't a basshead. I use a Hifiman HE5xx, but could easily switch to the DT880 250 ohm and have fun with those too on a daily basis. The Heretic and Modi are a great choice too, built like a tank and they finally put the volume wheel away from the adapter plug.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

I've got or had everything you list. The Topping E50 is excellent, for DSD playback just setup foobar with the instructions in the driver/manual zip file. The Topping L30 II is great, and especially good if you ever get into IEMs as it's got a totally silent noise floor. I've got the L30II/E30II stack and several E50's and you can go wrong. The DT880 250 ohm is the best, just a solid choice for anyone who isn't a basshead. I use a Hifiman HE5xx, but could easily switch to the DT880 250 ohm and have fun with those too on a daily basis. The Heretic and Modi are a great choice too, built like a tank and they finally put the volume wheel away from the adapter plug.
Hi dear during
Thanks for your reply
I ve already made my choice for dac topping e50 but saw smsl d6s review recently which measures a bit better compare to e50
Which amp sounds great with dt 880 premium 250 ohm schiit magni+ or schiit magni heretic op amp or topping l30 ii? I heard about issues on l30 ii is that correct? I wanna use this setup for years to come
Schiit magni+ & heretic are 79 bucks on sale the l30 ii is 120 bucks on sale. Can one of these amps drive dt 880 premium 600 ohm?
Appreciated

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any of them can drive the 600 ohm version, it's not a problem. The Topping E50/L50 would be better since the balanced combination has more current, to help if you equalize with a preamp reduction. The L30II/E30II is best if you get into IEMs, but the Heretic/Modi is excellent too. If I was buying it for myself, I'd get the E50/L50 combination. It has the same power on all connectors, which is ideal for the Beyerdynamic which doesn't have a removable cable.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

Any of them can drive the 600 ohm version, it's not a problem. The Topping E50/L50 would be better since the balanced combination has more current, to help if you equalize with a preamp reduction. The L30II/E30II is best if you get into IEMs, but the Heretic/Modi is excellent too. If I was buying it for myself, I'd get the E50/L50 combination. It has the same power on all connectors, which is ideal for the Beyerdynamic which doesn't have a removable cable.
Thanks dear dunring for quick reply
I'm on a tight budget so decide to get e50 for dsd with magni heretic op amp for 79 bucks & dt 880 premium 250 ohm. Im wondering How does the dt 880 premium 250 sound with schiit magni heretic op amp compare to l30 ii?

Was looking for a ballanced passive preamp with volume knob to switch between studio monitor & headphone found this one on amazon

Will get an ifi ipower 5v low noise power supply for topping e50 to get the best sound out of it with darker background.

Which one of these 5 inch studio monitor do you recommend? maudio bx5 d3 5 inch or Yamaha hs5 5 inch studio monitor.

I will hook up the topping e50 dac usb input to windows pc & android smartphone. I will hook tv optical output to the dac optical input as well. So how can I hook up an old sansa clip plus mp3 player to the topping e50 dac input? Should I use 3.5 mm to usb adapter? Or should I use 3.5 mm to spdif cable?

Regards

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So how can I hook up an old sansa clip plus mp3 player to the topping e50 dac input?

You can't directly as the Sansa does not have digital out.
Another way would be to use an ADC but would recommend not to add a ADC-DAC loop but just connect the Sansa to the amp.
You should connect the Sansa to the Heretic/L30-II so need an input switch to switch between E50 out and the Sansa.
You could use the Nobsound you linked to and set the volume to max (it is not a preamp, it is an attenuator).
It cannot convert XLR to RCA (most likely) nor the other way around so don't know if and how XLR to RCA is done.
The suggested amps are all RCA in so perhaps the DAC choice of E30-II makes more sense as you have no use for balanced TRS out ?

Will get an ifi ipower 5v low noise power supply for topping e50 to get the best sound out of it with darker background.

Put the money to better use.

Im wondering How does the dt 880 premium 250 sound with schiit magni heretic op amp compare to l30 ii?

The same.

Last edited:
OP
amirsam

amirsam

You can't directly as the Sansa does not have digital out.
Another way would be to use an ADC but would recommend not to add a ADC-DAC loop but just connect the Sansa to the amp.
You should connect the Sansa to the Heretic/L30-II so need an input switch to switch between E50 out and the Sansa.
You could use the Nobsound you linked to and set the volume to max (it is not a preamp, it is an attenuator).
It cannot convert XLR to RCA (most likely) nor the other way around.

Put the money to better use.

The same.
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Can I use 3.5mm to usb adapter to connect Sansa to usb input of e50?
Please recommend me a proper input switch something like schiit sys but with xlr rca input output & a volume knob
I will get pair of second hand studio monitors in future so the xlr output comes handy
So there no difference in terms of Sound quality between cheap 5v or a low noise 5v power supply for e50
Was curious to know with dt 880 premium 250 ohm which amp sounds better schiit magni heretic op amp or topping l30 ii? Which one is more future proof for upgrading to hd600 in future?
Appreciated
Regards

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You would have to have either an active RCA to XLR (and vice versa) or one with a transformer in it that can actually handle low frequencies at 20Hz.
The problem is that the passive ones that do this properly are quite expensive.

So there no difference in terms of Sound quality between cheap 5v or a low noise 5v power supply for e50

Nope... the reports that it does are all 'placebo'.
The fact that special 'linear' power supplies are sold is because there is a demand for it and money is to be made.

BUT with some DAC/amp/source combinations and RCA cable connections there can be improvements in hum alike aspects but do not expect the E50 to be plagued.
The DACs nor amps are tested for this so no guarantees here.

Having balanced out for active speakers makes sense.
For this to work well with RCA out sources you will need a good RCA to XLR converter. You can look into professional DI boxes, the tend to be cheaper than audiophile ones but are not intended for hifi reproduction but rather as a solution for a problem.

Last edited:
OP
amirsam

amirsam

You would have to have either an active RCA to XLR (and vice versa) or one with a transformer in it that can actually handle low frequencies at 20Hz.
The problem is that the passive ones that do this properly are quite expensive.

Nope... the reports that it does are all 'placebo'.
The fact that special 'linear' power supplies are sold is because there is a demand for it and money is to be made.

BUT with some DAC/amp/source combinations and RCA cable connections there can be improvements in hum alike aspects but do not expect the E50 to be plagued.
The DACs nor amps are tested for this so no guarantees here.

Having balanced out for active speakers makes sense.
For this to work well with RCA out sources you will need a good RCA to XLR converter. You can look into professional DI boxes, the tend to be cheaper than audiophile ones but are not intended for hifi reproduction but rather as a solution for a problem.
Thanks dear solderdude for quick reply
If I increase my budget e50 l50 stack is a better option? Can l50 give enough power for dt 880 600 ohm? Can I connect trs pass through on the back of l50 to active studio monitor? Which studio monitor do you recommend? Maudio bx5 d3 5 inch or Yamaha hs5 5 inch? At last with this stack how can I connect 3.5 mm output of sansa mp3 player to the stack?
Appreciate

solderdude

Grand Contributor
13V is more than enough for DT880/600 (both L30-II and L50 have the same output power, the XLR headphone out is not balanced)

The L50 offers pass through meaning it won't function as a pre-amp.
The L30-II doubles as a pre-amp.

Most likely the RCA input and output are connected and XLR in and out are connected.
This gives you the opportunity to use the RCA/XLR switch as an input for the headphone but not for the balanced/RCA outs.

Meaning only the DAC will have throughput to the speakers (without volume control on the amp so you need the volume control from the DAC)

Don't have any experience with those speakers. I recommend you audition the, preferably at your home/studio.

Probably the best way would be to connect the Sansa with the ADC to the E50 DAC, this way you can use the E50 as a pre-amp for both speakers and headphone.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

13V is more than enough for DT880/600 (both L30-II and L50 have the same output power, the XLR headphone out is not balanced)

The L50 offers pass through meaning it won't function as a pre-amp.
The L30-II doubles as a pre-amp.

Most likely the RCA input and output are connected and XLR in and out are connected.
This gives you the opportunity to use the RCA/XLR switch as an input for the headphone but not for the balanced/RCA outs.

Meaning only the DAC will have throughput to the speakers (without volume control on the amp so you need the volume control from the DAC)

Don't have any experience with those speakers. I recommend you audition the, preferably at your home/studio.

Probably the best way would be to connect the Sansa with the ADC to the E50 DAC, this way you can use the E50 as a pre-amp for both speakers and headphone.
Thanks for your reply
The l30 ii specs didn't mention 600 ohm output power, how much is l30 ii output power for 600 ohm?
According to manufacturer the l50 passtrough mode only works when e50 dac is in preamp mode.
Will be an improved version of e50 ii l50 ii with preamp mode like l30 ii for l50 ii?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
L30II and L50 have the same output power in 600ohm

According to manufacturer the l50 passtrough mode only works when e50 dac is in preamp mode.
Yep that's what I said. The inputs and outputs on the L50 are simply connected.
The input selector just uses either the RCA or the balanced connection for the headphone part.

Will be an improved version of e50 ii l50 ii with preamp mode like l30 ii for l50 ii?
Only Topping knows.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

L30II and L50 have the same output power in 600ohm

Yep that's what I said. The inputs and outputs on the L50 are simply connected.
The input selector just uses either the RCA or the balanced connection for the headphone part.

Only Topping knows.
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Are there any other amp models with price range of 150-170 bucks that can handle dt 880 600 ohm with xlr output & preamp mode?
How's the new released dac smsl d-6s compare to e50? D-6s has a bit better measurement.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Schiit Midgard but it is $ 220.-

The difference in measurements of DACs is inconsequential.
You should buy on features, inputs and outputs. Not on specs.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

Schiit Midgard but it is $ 220.-

The difference in measurements of DACs is inconsequential.
You should buy on features, inputs and outputs. Not on specs.
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your hints
Does schiit Midgard have more power to run dt 880 600 ohm compare to topping l30 ii & l50? how does Midgard sound compare to l30 ii & l50? How's its measurement? Does Midgard have preamp mode to run active studio monitor speakers?
Regards

solderdude

Grand Contributor

All yes

OP
amirsam

amirsam

All yes
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your help
Got a question With topping e50/l50 stack can I use this mackie studio monitor switch with volume knob to change source between studio monitor output or headphone amp output & controll volume? I asked topping support they said e50 can only change volume on preamp mode not dac mode & l50 doesn't have preamp mode.
Appreciated

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Pre-amp mode for E50 is (just like E30-II) available in the DAC.
It just means in DAC mode the output voltage is fixed (at maximum setting)
In pre-amp mode the DAC output is variable and can be controled via the remote control.
It has nothing to do with the L50 amp.

The 'line out' from L50 amp (unlike the L30-II) as I already mentioned is just a passthrough and can not double as a pre-amp (the L30-II can)

The Big Knob Passive is just a passive volume control and input switch and output switch.
You could use it to control the speakers from the balanced out of the E50.
You could connect the RCA out from the E50 to connect to the L30-II amp (no need for the L50 in this case)

OP
amirsam

amirsam

Pre-amp mode for E50 is (just like E30-II) available in the DAC.
It just means in DAC mode the output voltage is fixed (at maximum setting)
In pre-amp mode the DAC output is variable and can be controled via the remote control.
It has nothing to do with the L50 amp.

The 'line out' from L50 amp (unlike the L30-II) as I already mentioned is just a passthrough and can not double as a pre-amp (the L30-II can)

The Big Knob Passive is just a passive volume control and input switch and output switch.
You could use it to control the speakers from the balanced out of the E50.
You could connect the RCA out from the E50 to connect to the L30-II amp (no need for the L50 in this case)
Thanks for your quick reply dear solderdude
Does this Mackie audio switch volume knob have trs input/output or rca input/output? it mentioned ballanced/ unbalanced beneath the ports
Regards
bk_passive_web_rear_rev100_0_0.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
TRS in and out and Line-in B is stereo 3.5mm TRS

Top Bottom