• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Octo vs SMSL vs Others

ethanhallbeyer

So, this question is intended for the segment of the audience that believes in audible differences between DACs.

I like the Topping D70 Pro Octo, primarily because of the pricing (compared to something like SMSL VMV series or SU-10), the fact that the A70 Pro would be a solid HPA and would be a perfect match for it. And both units have 12v trigger in/out, which is uncommon.

But the sticking points for me are: 1) Topping reliability/QC issues I read about in quite a few posts, 2) The two-dimensionality of the sound and how reviewers say it collapses on more complex musical tracks (orchestral music).

So, I may just stick to looking at my usual suspects of SMSL SU-10, SU-9 Pro, Denafrips, and Gustard. But I'm wondering if others have any input on the above concerns and findings and whether they share them.

Do the SMSL have the same limitations/issues?

ThatGuyYouKnow

But the sticking points for me are: 1) Topping reliability/QC issues I read about in quite a few posts, 2) The two-dimensionality of the sound and how reviewers say it collapses on more complex musical tracks (orchestral music).
Reliability should be the number one concern. DACs such as the Topping E70/E70V have been out for a while and seem to have little-to-no complaints aside from the rigid tolerance of ESS chips with cheap optical connections; my E70 has been bullet-proof. A matching L70 is perfect for almost any headphone and quite a bit cheaper than the A70 Pro.

As for dimensionality, we are usually entering BS territory when reviewers talk about that. I can say that my DCA Aeon 2 Noire is not at all limited by the DAC. I listen almost exclusively to orchestral music, mostly film scores.

anynameiwish

That would be a different forum.
Depends. You may or may not notice that Amir’s reviews used to contain a dedicated Listening Test section where he would discuss how music actually sounded to him with various products and it was loaded with keywords like resolution, detail, openness, airyness, etc. Perhaps as his hearing degraded and the Kool Aid circled back around it felt safer to leave this part out.

MAB

Major Contributor
Depends. You may or may not notice that Amir’s reviews used to contain a dedicated Listening Test section where he would discuss how music actually sounded to him with various products and it was loaded with keywords like resolution, detail, openness, airyness, etc. Perhaps as his hearing degraded and the Kool Aid circled back around it felt safer to leave this part out.
You also appear to have stumbled into the wrong forum, you need to post more often in the BS-condescension with misspellings forum.
Amir still uses those words from time to time. Not the way you sardonically insinuate though.

anynameiwish

You also appear to have stumbled into the wrong forum, you need to post more often in the BS-condescension with misspellings forum.
Amir still uses those words from time to time. Not the way you sardonically insinuate though.

Does he? When’s the last time he used that kind of language - language that describes an audible difference between DACs - in a review? Feel free to completely avoid the subject (and the acceptance of your own hypocrisy) because of a typo, againn.

Gymboy

Anyone's D70 Pro Octo restarting randomly while listening to Tidal? Notified Topping about that and they require me to catch it and film it, problem is it happens quick until I grab a phone unlock.... gone.

Top Bottom