• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping e50 vs smsl d-6s, schiit magni+ vs schiit magni heretic vs topping l30 ii beyerdynamics dt 880 premium 250 ohm

OP
amirsam

amirsam

TRS in and out and Line-in B is stereo 3.5mm TRS
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Which budget solid state & tube amp do you recommend for dt 880 600 ohm? Any other models?
Topping l30 ii
Topping l50
schiit midgard
Little dot mkii
Little dot mkiii
Xduoo mt602
Xduoo mt604
Any help will be appreciated
Regards

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Topping l30 ii
Topping l50
schiit midgard

OP
amirsam

amirsam

Topping l30 ii
Topping l50
schiit midgard
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Which tube amp or hybrid ballanced amp do you recommend for dt 880 600 ohm? How about ld mkii or mkiii?
Appreciated

solderdude

Grand Contributor
None, but if you really want a tube in it believing it will actually bring 'magic' to the table I would say only LD mkII, III or IV (for high imp headphones only) but not one of the hybrids.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

None, but if you really want a tube in it believing it will actually bring 'magic' to the table I would say only LD mkII, III or IV (for high imp headphones only) but not one of the hybrids.
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Does the tube amp makes any difference compare to solid state? In terms of harmonic distortion & sq
One more question Does mkii output power with 300 mw for 600 ohm have enough power to run dt 880 600 ohm? Or should I choose the more powerful mkiii with 350mw output power for 600 ohm?
Appreciated

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There will be more distortion on the tube amp but will probably not be very audible as such.

DT880/600 is rated for 100mW so 300mW will already drive it to levels where the DT880 will start to distort by istelf.

100mW in 600ohm (so 200mW in 300ohm rating) is more than sufficient.

An amp with 350mW will only play 0.7dB louder than a 300mW rated amp.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

There will be more distortion on the tube amp but will probably not be very audible as such.

DT880/600 is rated for 100mW so 300mW will already drive it to levels where the DT880 will start to distort by istelf.

100mW in 600ohm (so 200mW in 300ohm rating) is more than sufficient.

An amp with 350mW will only play 0.7dB louder than a 300mW rated amp.
Hi dear solderdude
Thanks for your reply
Sorry if I bother you
How can I calculate the sufficient output power per mw for the dt 880 600 ohm to run properly? how do I know if an amp has sufficient power to run 600 ohm?
Appreciated

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Spec for Beyerynamic says 100mW rating and is true for the 32, 80, 250 and 600ohm versions.
All specs for 600 ohm DT880 are here

Any amp that is specified to at least 200mW in 300ohm will do. No need to calculate anything.
It will get the headphone to 114dB SPL peak so 95-100dB average which is quite loud.

Mike710

I recently bought the E50/L50 stack, and one of the main reasons to step up to this stack was the bypass feature of the L50. I have the L50 bypassed to my Aiyima A07 Max amp, so when I switch off (down) the L50 It goes directly to the A07 Max which powers a set of Polk ES20´s.

I also have a set of Yamaha MSP5´s active speakers which are cabled to a TC Electronic Level Pilot for volume control. If I ever want to change speakers (set-up), I can always use my MSP5´s. In other words, the E50/L50 stack Is quite flexible, It´s pretty much future proof, and It sounds good too!

Some stores still have sales on the E50/L50, I got mine on a recent Black Friday sale.

Have fun!

OP
amirsam

amirsam

I recently bought the E50/L50 stack, and one of the main reasons to step up to this stack was the bypass feature of the L50. I have the L50 bypassed to my Aiyima A07 Max amp, so when I switch off (down) the L50 It goes directly to the A07 Max which powers a set of Polk ES20´s.

I also have a set of Yamaha MSP5´s active speakers which are cabled to a TC Electronic Level Pilot for volume control. If I ever want to change speakers (set-up), I can always use my MSP5´s. In other words, the E50/L50 stack Is quite flexible, It´s pretty much future proof, and It sounds good too!

Some stores still have sales on the E50/L50, I got mine on a recent Black Friday sale.

Have fun!
Hi dear mike710
Thanks for your reply
Does bypassmode only work in e50 dac preamp mode? Or also e50 dac mode?
Did you test the e50/l50 with Yamaha studio monitor msp5 active speakers? How was the result?
At last please pm me e50/l50 stores sales
Appreciated
Regards

Mike710

Hi dear mike710
Thanks for your reply
Does bypassmode only work in e50 dac preamp mode? Or also e50 dac mode?
Did you test the e50/l50 with Yamaha studio monitor msp5 active speakers? How was the result?
At last please pm me e50/l50 stores sales
Appreciated
Regards
Hi

I haven´t tried It but the bypass mode should work regardless of what setting you have the E50 set to...
Topping L50 Review

As for the active speakers, again I haven´t tried them because these I used when I had a DAW set-up for music recording/production, but again this has nothing to do with bypass as It´s the same concept as a amplifier but built In to a speaker.

With regards to sales, I think you missed the boat here, the only site I found with sale price was AliExpress, and I am not sure If you are ok with buying from them. Amazon does have a sale on the SMSL C200 right now If you´re Interested In that, otherwise you might want to wait for the next sale which could happen later this month with all the Christmas sales. You have to keep a watch out for sales because It dependes on where you live and where you shop.

Last edited:
OP
amirsam

amirsam

Hi dear solderdude
The more I read I found out solid state amp are better measured with much lower noise compare to ld mk ii & iii. Some users complained about hiss noise on mkii & iii. In terms of Sound quality does solid state amp like l50 is better compare to budget tube amps like mkii & mkiii?
Appreciated
Regards

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sound quality is about the same.
Signal fidelity of SS amps is much better and way below any audible levels.

OP
amirsam

amirsam

I read on a l50 review that XLR output is single-ended on l50 and can confuse users with the toggle switch on the L50. Is this true?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read on a l50 review that XLR output is single-ended on l50 and can confuse users with the toggle switch on the L50. Is this true?
The toggle switch is to select SE or BAL input. Output is SE (which is not a problem for this amp). The 4 pin XLR output connector is for convenience and gives the same output as the 6.35 mm connector.

L50_Manual.png
L50_Compare.png

OP
amirsam

amirsam

Topping A50S headphone amp is on sale for 140 usd. How is its power compare to l50 for dt 880 600?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Probably not enough gain in 6.3mm output. Power is not an issue (200mW in 300ohm SE).
You cannot use balanced outputs for DT880/600

L30-II would be better when you just use RCA inputs for high imp headphones you need a higher gain.

Top Bottom