• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for spending time.

But that only tells me the kHz. It does not tell me when a tone being sent to DAC, both channels of the DAC would output the tone at the exact time or not.
If there's anything other than perfect timing you will see large rise in distortion and/or high frequency roll off. They are not seen here.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
If there's anything other than perfect timing you will see large rise in distortion and/or high frequency roll off. They are not seen here.
I see. So, the measurements were not made independent of each other and actually depending on each other? Thanks!

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Thanks for spending time.

But that only tells me the kHz. It does not tell me when a tone being sent to DAC, both channels of the DAC would output the tone at the exact time or not.
The channels clocks are matched 100% at 0.00001% accuracy at the the test frequency of 1khz. We can also see the sine waves sitting right on top of eachother above indicating 100% phase match. Distortion is matched to 0.00001% too . Only thing is the voltage output shows some imperfection at "only" 0.011Vrms difference.

gvl

Major Contributor
I am genuinely curious. Which plot in the first post checks for timing between right and left channel?

Constant timing errors between L/R channels would show up on the dashboard, see the Beresford DAC review for example. This is different frim timing errors on DACs paralleled in one channel which is what John referring above.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The channels clocks are matched 100% at 0.00001% accuracy at the the test frequency of 1khz. We can also see the sine waves sitting right on top of eachother above indicating 100% phase match. Distortion is matched to 0.00001% too . Only thing is the voltage output shows some imperfection at "only" 0.011Vrms difference.
Thanks!

Yeah, my unit has 0.05db difference. It seems Amir's test unit has slightly higher dB difference between channel. I am not worry about that small difference as my X16 is at almost 0.2db!

Phase match should not matter at 1khz, correct?

So, let's say left and right channels are off by 5ms, how would it show up in that chart?

Thanks!

threni

Major Contributor
Depends - it it's half a cycle out of phase you won't hear anything at all, which will matter in some scenarios.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, let's say left and right channels are off by 5ms, how would it show up in that chart?
An example: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/beresford-tc-7520-review-dac.24717/

Beresford.PNG

[Edit] If the timing is off by exactly integer multiples of the period of the sine wave, then the scope view won't show. But the likelihood is tiny.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Depends - it it's half a cycle out of phase you won't hear anything at all, which will matter in some scenarios.
Thanks! Half a cycle at 1khz is like 0.5ms delay, right?

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Thanks!

Yeah, my unit has 0.05db difference. It seems Amir's test unit has slightly higher dB difference between channel. I am not worry about that small difference as my X16 is at almost 0.2db!

Thanks!
Calculating that is above my pay grade :D

Veri

Master Contributor
I am curious why there is 4 DAC chips at all. Why? What is the point?
It is pretty common to parallel DACs to maximise the SNR. Often datasheets even show a chip's mono performance when you use one chip for one channel. It's not per sé worth the extra cost but especially in the case with these "cheaper" cirrus logic chips as used in D30 Pro the performance shows a nice little boost. Especially the single ended out gains a lot compared to single chip performance. Balanced too but more gradual.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi!

Dunno if this is a double post but I was surprised when I went to download a pdf of the user manual for the D30 Pro. I had to double check I didn't confuse the model but it seems that there is an updated version? My DAC has 9 filter modes. Funnily enough the included user manual in the package also only listed those 5 filters that Amir tested.

Attachments

• chrome_Bb9UlLCtWI.png
    chrome_Bb9UlLCtWI.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 134
  • chrome_Brp85UgTKx.png
    chrome_Brp85UgTKx.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 125

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi!

Dunno if this is a double post but I was surprised when I went to download a pdf of the user manual for the D30 Pro. I had to double check I didn't confuse the model but it seems that there is an updated version? My DAC has 9 filter modes. Funnily enough the included user manual in the package also only listed those 5 filters that Amir tested.
Yeah, the manual was not updated. It should be. Mine also got 9 filters.

Lupin

Seems that manual actually was updated for newer batch.
Hmm.. going to check the manual when I get home.
Never bothered even getting the manual out of the box, who read manuals these days..;)

My unit came with FW 1.43 out of the box.

Lupin

Latest release is 2.44 iirc.
Sorry my fault
Made a typo meant to say FW 2.43
Flashed it to 2.44 myself.

Don't notice any difference but hey at least the human nature desire to have the latest and highest number is now satisfied ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry my fault
Made a typo meant to say FW 2.43
Flashed it to 2.44 myself.

Don't notice any difference but hey at least the human nature desire to have the latest and highest number is now satisfied ;)

Always a risky proposition, but at least its not an SMSL device with their propensity to brick on driver/ firmware updates:D

Top Bottom