• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

gvl

Major Contributor
I know my unit has 0.05db imbalance between left and right channel. If there is such imbalance in dB level, then I think there is a possibility of timing imbalance too.

0.05dB, really? You shouldn't be worried about it as your ears are in a greater imbalance. As for timing and level there is no connection. One would hope the DACs are properly clocked so there is no timing issue, I don't think there is any sort of ASRC on CS chips as there is on ESS.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
0.05dB, really? You shouldn't be worried about it as your ears are in a greater imbalance. As for timing and level there is no connection. One would hope the DACs are properly clocked so there is no timing issue, I don't think there is any sort of ASRC on CS chips as there is on ESS.
I am not worry about the 0.05db imbalance.

I place d30pro in my stereo system in my large living room and my impression was that it is not as clean sounding as my X16. I am trying to think of any possibility why.....

I am also curious what is keeping 4 DAC chips in sync....

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The clock.
In the thread you linked, I see this comment:
distributing a low-jitter clock to parallel DACs, can be a challenge,

I wonder if this is something that a regular consumer without any good tools can even check....

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm, any chance you still have the d30pro and can run THD+N(F) with say 35khz bandwidth to exclude noise shaping artifacts? Looking at @Pdxwayne 's data there seem to be some rise of distortion at 3kHz, the source of it is unclear, could be his measurements. He's measuring at -17db level.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
If you are still not sure then maybe you can send to someone else to confirm.
Any possible explanations (other than the brain, imaginations, etc) why my first impression of d30pro, when placed in my living room stereo setup to replace the x16, is that it is not sounding as clean as X16?

Source is node2i coaxial out. DAC XLR out direct to amp. Filter 9 used. Using it as preamp.

Thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Any possible explanations (other than the brain, imaginations, etc) why my first impression of d30pro, when placed in my living room stereo setup to replace the x16, is that it is not sounding as clean as X16?

Source is node2i coaxial out. DAC XLR out direct to amp.

Thanks!
Honestly, I don't have any.

gvl

Major Contributor
You mentioned first page shows right and left channels timing is good. Which chart in first page shows channels timing is sync correctly?

Thanks!

Look, I don't want this to come across as rudeness, but Amir's measurements show that this DAC is nearly perfect considering current technology. If there were gross DAC timing issues they would certainly result in inferior test data across the board but it's not the case. Is it possible that there's an issue that escaped his tests? Yes, cough up the SU-9 distortion debacle. Is it possible you got a dud? Sure. I don't think anyone can offer anything constructive based on your hand waving. If you can come up with a measurement that shows the issue then people will engage. Or maybe you can persuade @amirm to run your unit through his tests to see if it's somehow defective. Just my 2c.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Look, I don't want this to come across as rudeness, but Amir's measurements show that this DAC is nearly perfect considering current technology. If there were gross DAC timing issues they would certainly result in inferior test data across the board but it's not the case. Is it possible that there's an issue that escaped his tests? Yes, cough up the SU-9 distortion debacle. Is it possible you got a dud? Sure. I don't think anyone can offer anything constructive based on your hand waving. If you can come up with a measurement that shows the issue then people will engage. Or maybe you can persuade @amirm to run your unit through his tests to see if it's somehow defective. Just my 2c.
I am genuinely curious. Which plot in the first post checks for timing between right and left channel?

Thanks!

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I am genuinely curious. Which plot in the first post checks for timing between right and left channel?

Thanks!
Screenshot_20210708-181516~2.png

Top Bottom