• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does this DAC have any competitors at this price range? I'm in the market for a balanced DAC with a "pre-amp" impedance knob for my power amp.

You might want to check out Gustard X16. Also great performance and a handful more features. But less filter modes und slightly worse intermodulation.

kaydubbed

Thanks everybody.

For context, I would be using this between my PC and NC502 power amp, which is why I want the volume attenuation knob. I know I could stick a passive pre amp between them, but why bother when I can just adjust it from the DAC, ya know.

vco1

You might want to check out Gustard X16. Also great performance and a handful more features. But less filter modes und slightly worse intermodulation.
And issues with some types of DSD files. Which can be fixed. But only by disassembling the unit and (as it appears) some soldering work. I'll pass, but YMMV.

anphex

Forum Donor
And issues with some types of DSD files. Which can be fixed. But only by disassembling the unit and (as it appears) some soldering work. I'll pass, but YMMV.

Can you link to from where you got this information? Just curious.
But even so, since we're from ASR most oft us probably agree that MQA und DSD isn't worth compared to good clean PCM flac. The Gustard would probably win for me because of the AES and IIS input and bluetooth. Then again its about 100 $ more. At the end it comes down to preference, as both seem to be great DACs.

Lupin

Cidious

Anyone upgraded to the D30 Pro from a D50s or other ES9038Q2M based device? I intend replacing both my Soncoz LA-QXD1 and D50s with this single unit, to drive my ADAM T5Vs and my A50s headamp (for now, intend to expand with Singxer SA-1). Found some reviews stating the D30 Pro is lacking a little in the attack department.

Any opinions to share on this?

vco1

Anyone upgraded to the D30 Pro from a D50s or other ES9038Q2M based device?
No, but I'm in the same boat. Want a DAC that I can simultaneously connect to a headphone amp and my integrated amp.
I must say that I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the D50s. It both sounds and looks great.

Cidious

No, but I'm in the same boat. Want a DAC that I can simultaneously connect to a headphone amp and my integrated amp.
I must say that I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the D50s. It both sounds and looks great.
Yeah I got the A50s+D50s stack for my headphone stuff, Soncoz LA-QXD1 for my active ADAM T5Vs. Because connection reasons and groundloop issues with the monitors connected single ended.

D50s is a good all round DAC and works fine. It's not exciting but very spot on. Sadly no XLR. A50s is also not an exciting or very engaging amp but very spot on and exact also. Good combo. Ready for something new and creating a future upgrade path. Looked at the Topping D70S but noticed it only comes in the MQA edition now at a higher price. So I'll ignore it. Tired of MQA being shuved down our throats with high licensing fees for no benefits. So I ordered the D30 Pro. Should be in the day after tomorrow or so. I'll let you know.

D700

Im happy with mine and finding great fun tweaking sound via sound force and plugins. What I have perceived as attack before, seems to be eliminating muddy bass through EQ and add slight emphasis on 8K and above for my treble deficient older ears.

D700

Oh, and I coughed up for a cross-feed plugin, very happy with that as well.

Cidious

So first impression vs D50s, Soncos LA-QXD1 (also own a Khadas Toneboard but it's practically the same as the Soncoz) and DX3 Pro:

Pros:
Great build quality (as expected by now from Topping)
Can use my aluminum Topping remoted (D7x) and works intuitively as always
Full body sound
More natural sounding (more like AKM than ESS)
Very good detailing especially microdetails
Superb soundstaging

Cons:
Less aggressive/energetic

Sorry for the subjective phrasing above. But we all know they all measure well. That doesn't mean they sound the same. They really don't (to my ears).

I plugged in the D30 Pro when it arrived just out of bed without listening to my other kit beforehand. First thing I noticed was the warmth the D30 Pro gives to my music. Detailing is still great. The sound staging is amazing. Then I went for some A/B testing with the A50s + Sennheiser HD660s and ADAM T5Vs against the D50s, Soncoz LA-QXD1, and DX3 Pro where the D50s and Soncoz are very similar in sound signature, the D30 Pro is a little different.

Both the D50s and Soncoz ES9038 DACs I can describe as very aggressive sounding. Transparent and edgy. But also a bit clinical. (VS my DX3 Pro AKM4493 for example). the D30 Pro is more similar to my DX3 Pro in it's sound signature than to the ES9038 DACs I own. As in more organic and warmer. But where the AKM does lose some details because of it vs the ES9038 DACs I own, the D30 Pro seems not to care much. Incredible microdetail presentation and sound staging are better than the DX3 Pro. And soundstage is also better than the ESS DACs.

The D30 Pro sounds more relaxed than the more energetic ES9038 DACs and I like it. It's a great pairing with the A50s and my ADAM T5Vs (class D amps) which is all very neutral kit. The D30 Pro adds a bit of liveliness to them without being a slouch in anything really other than less aggressive.

I could go on rambling about more subjective stuff and differences I have found with A/B testing.

Bottom line what I found:

D50s/Soncoz: More aggressive and energetic but also a bit harsh and clinical. Vocals/mids slightly recessed compared to the others.
DX3 Pro: More natural sounding than the ESS offerings but also missing out on some details and especially soundstaging
D30 Pro: More natural sounding than the ESS offerings without losing details or soundstaging but less energetic than the ESS DACs. More bass kick though.

Worth the D50s upgrade? Yes to me. I love the more natural sound it produces in combination with with the kit I already own. Not saying it's any better than the other DACs I own. Just a different sound that fits well with my desk gear in this position. I would maybe not recommend it to anyone with a more smooth-sounding class A amp. I think it's best paired with the more neutral amp offerings (THX 789, A50s, A90, class D monitors etc).

If you're looking for that highly energetic sound where every note hits a bit harder. Don't get this. It's more mellow than the ESS offerings. Or pair it with an amp with more kick to it.

Do with this info as anyone sees fit. Highly subjective and just my opinion.

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20210725124856.jpg
    WeChat Image_20210725124856.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Cidious

Im happy with mine and finding great fun tweaking sound via sound force and plugins. What I have perceived as attack before, seems to be eliminating muddy bass through EQ and add slight emphasis on 8K and above for my treble deficient older ears.

Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO / Peace Wiki / How to use Peace (sourceforge.net)

This one works really well for me. It's free and you can load in headphone profiles and alter them further.

AutoEq/results at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub

All free

Lupin

So first impression vs D50s, Soncos LA-QXD1 (also own a Khadas Toneboard but it's practically the same as the Soncoz) and DX3 Pro:

Pros:
Great build quality (as expected by now from Topping)
Can use my aluminum Topping remoted (D7x) and works intuitively as always
Full body sound
More natural sounding (more like AKM than ESS)
Very good detailing especially microdetails
Superb soundstaging

Cons:
Less aggressive/energetic

Sorry for the subjective phrasing above. But we all know they all measure well. That doesn't mean they sound the same. They really don't (to my ears).

I plugged in the D30 Pro when it arrived just out of bed without listening to my other kit beforehand. First thing I noticed was the warmth the D30 Pro gives to my music. Detailing is still great. The sound staging is amazing. Then I went for some A/B testing with the A50s + Sennheiser HD660s and ADAM T5Vs against the D50s, Soncoz LA-QXD1, and DX3 Pro where the D50s and Soncoz are very similar in sound signature, the D30 Pro is a little different.

Both the D50s and Soncoz ES9038 DACs I can describe as very aggressive sounding. Transparent and edgy. But also a bit clinical. (VS my DX3 Pro AKM4493 for example). the D30 Pro is more similar to my DX3 Pro in it's sound signature than to the ES9038 DACs I own. As in more organic and warmer. But where the AKM does lose some details because of it vs the ES9038 DACs I own, the D30 Pro seems not to care much. Incredible microdetail presentation and sound staging are better than the DX3 Pro. And soundstage is also better than the ESS DACs.

The D30 Pro sounds more relaxed than the more energetic ES9038 DACs and I like it. It's a great pairing with the A50s and my ADAM T5Vs (class D amps) which is all very neutral kit. The D30 Pro adds a bit of liveliness to them without being a slouch in anything really other than less aggressive.

I could go on rambling about more subjective stuff and differences I have found with A/B testing.

Bottom line what I found:

D50s/Soncoz: More aggressive and energetic but also a bit harsh and clinical. Vocals/mids slightly recessed compared to the others.
DX3 Pro: More natural sounding than the ESS offerings but also missing out on some details and especially soundstaging
D30 Pro: More natural sounding than the ESS offerings without losing details or soundstaging but less energetic than the ESS DACs. More bass kick though.

Worth the D50s upgrade? Yes to me. I love the more natural sound it produces in combination with with the kit I already own. Not saying it's any better than the other DACs I own. Just a different sound that fits well with my desk gear in this position. I would maybe not recommend it to anyone with a more smooth-sounding class A amp. I think it's best paired with the more neutral amp offerings (THX 789, A50s, A90, class D monitors etc).

If you're looking for that highly energetic sound where every note hits a bit harder. Don't get this. It's more mellow than the ESS offerings. Or pair it with an amp with more kick to it.

Do with this info as anyone sees fit. Highly subjective and just my opinion.
Can't help but wonder how many of those findings will actually be found in a volume matched double blind test.
Especially as you keep comparing DAC chip X with DAC chip Y. Think it's pretty much agreed on ASR that it doesn't work that way.

Cidious

Can't help but wonder how many of those findings will actually be found in a volume matched double blind test.

You may wonder all you want. Not going to bite. shared my subjective opinion. You can set up a blind test for yourself and buy the devices and have a try for yourself, then you can stop wondering :)

My Soncoz LA-QXD1 and Topping D50s practically sound the same. I can barely hear any difference between them. So I refer to them as THE ES9038 DACs compared to my only AK4493 DAC model (several DX3 Pros). Also got a ES9018 DIY and several low-end dacs.

DACs do have output stages... with amplification....

I don't think they sound the same. Especially on my ADAM T5V monitors. You may draw your own conclusions. Or hey, test some stuff yourself. I've seen you go by all the topics to post your opinion that all are the same because measurements said so. I wonder how many you have A/B tested yourself to be qualified to post your opinion everywhere that all are the same and we can't hear a difference.... That's fine and all. haha.

Last edited:

Cidious

Thanks! wish it was for Mac

Ah yeah it's Windows only. But the second link I posted, you can use those equalizer profiles with any of your headphones and your MAC equalizer software too. They are universal. You can see if you like them and further adjust.

kaydubbed

If I'm using the XLR outputs to a power amp, I will be able to run an RCA line for an active Monolith Subwoofer (XLR + RCA). Am I right here?

Cidious

If I'm using the XLR outputs to a power amp, I will be able to run an RCA line for an active Monolith Subwoofer (XLR + RCA). Am I right here?

Yes the D30 Pro can run both outputs at the same time. You can use the remote to select which outputs you want to use. 1=RCA 2=XLR and 3=Both

Top Bottom