• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Plus it's very easy to fix software problems.
Easy to fix before they are made. Slightly less easy after the product's been shipped and the development budget's already been burned.

Toni Mas

If they can offer gear that work fine under Linux and Alsa, for me It would be great. I am tired of buying soundcards that are not as Class compliant as claimed and should be, and have no interest in using this stuff under Windows or Mac. But i know my usecase is atypical and of marginal interest for soundcard manufacturers.

iconoclast

IMO, DACs and audio interfaces should be boring. Ideally, this forum would not need to exist.
Hi
I had also bought a couple of Topping small appliances to try out, e.g. one E30II and one L30II I kept, but strangely I can't muster any enthusiasm or even love for it. There is something cheap about it.

Toni Mas

Pro audio is no joke,durability and support comes first,better test each one of them with the worst case scenarios can ever be.
Lowest noise mic preramps means suitable for measurements too,right?
If they include an autoranger too and high voltage input ability it will be really nice.
Do you consider home studio users of cheap berhinger focusrite edirol roland, etc... profesionals?

Btw, if this is the market targetted by Topping i am afraid that they are loosing their time, as these are not pro nor quality demanding users. It s mass market with very basic requirements, mostly on a tight budget ones...

Last edited:

Toni Mas

Let's see how they develop low latency drivers and maintain their products after a few years, since Topping is known for releasing like a DAC every month or so.
Topping and others are close followers of their suppliers chip makers. The last brews of their dacs simply use the last upgrades made by Ess, akm, xmos, etc... And this is good for this industry...

My main current concern with the purchase of a DM7 8 Channel dac is that they will probably launch sooner a better one based on a new Akm Velvet chip or similar ...:rolleyes:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do you consider home studio users of cheap berhinger focusrite edirol roland, etc... profesionals?
Nope.
I consider professionals the ones who can actually make a living out of this,support a family or better,etc.
And to those people time is of the essence,no glitches,SW or HW fails are allowed.

Last edited:

Toni Mas

Nope.
I consider professionals the ones who can actually make a living out of this,support a family or better,etc.
And to those people time is of the essence,no glitches,SW or HW fails are allowed.
Many amateurs among these... With their needs widely covered by entry level stuff.

These do not really need stellar performance, simply hassle free use.

Last edited:

jcheavymetal

Looks like it's already being sold in China

O1CN01MvnWFR1TX7rA31MEY_!!56742391.jpg_q50s50.jpg_.webp

Toni Mas

Looks like it's already being sold in China

O1CN01MvnWFR1TX7rA31MEY_!!56742391.jpg_q50s50.jpg_.webp
I like the way the way the chinese advertise their products showing chips and specs, not showing guys playing guitar, recording a podcast or taking beers...

Sokel

Master Contributor
I like the way the way the chinese advertise their products showing chips and specs, not showing guys playing guitar, recording a podcast or taking beers...
Down the page there is a guy playing and another one recording,it's inevitable :)

So,I don't know Chinese but 100db SINAD for the DAC and 110db SINAD for the ADC?
Is that what the above photo is saying?

1691085071617.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's on their website now: https://topping.pro/e2x2/

While I would like to see DSP, I still give credit to Topping for focusing on objective performance, rather than on cheesy marketing and gimmicks, which is so common in this market segment.
Lots of dBs thrown around and no word of round trip latency, which is a lot more important in the recording market as opposed to Hi-fi. Good luck, this is not ASR.

Last edited:

BeerBear

Well, we know that it uses an XMOS-Thesycon combo, which is a pretty standard affair. Some established companies use it in their (expensive) products. Based on that we can expect a somewhat average low latency performance.

I think that as long as they haven't made any mistakes, it should easily compete with similar products in this category (Focusrite, SSL, Behringer, Motu ...). It should beat most/all of those in terms of audio performance and have similar latency. The one thing I would have also liked is a stepped/digital volume control, for the perfect channel balance. But most entry level products don't have that either.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What I really don't like about it is the 48V phantom power button placement.
It's way too easy pushing it by mistake placed just under the gain knob or next to the inputs where the side of the hand can push it while plugging/unplugging stuff.

I hope there's at least a rock solid option deactivating it in CP.

Edit: another option would be to make the switch time sensitive,give it for example 5-10 secs to activate,that would avoid accidental instant push.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
172 eur the topping vía AliExpress vs 122 eur the Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen. from amazon.de or 193 the 4i4 for me... It would not be a difficult as of today
125 euros in Europe are the B-stock Scarletts,normal price is about 200 and the same for Topping inc VAT.

Top Bottom