• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

conandrum

I have been reading for hours and I have a question:
I have tried the Cyrus Soundkey DAC/AMP with the Samsung Note 8 and it is excellent for music but the Note 8 sends phone calls to it's own built-in speaker/earpiece.
I have also found out that the Samsung Note 8 comes with these USB-C earphones for both music and calls.

So the question arises... Why do these earphones carry music and phone calls, but the Cyrus Soundkey does not?
Is it because the Note 8 works in 'Audio Accessory Mode' when making phone calls (thus looking for a specific USB connection and rejecting the Soundkey)?

If my theory carries any weight, then this question follows:
Is there a USB DAC/AMP that can handle both worlds concurrently ie. 'Audio Accessory Mode' (analogue) and Digital Mode?
(it would therefore do the work of the Soundkey and also be able to work with phonecalls)

I need this device if it exists.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Part of USB-C is the Audio Adapter Accessory Mode.

In this mode the device sends analog audio over the USB!

So if this mode is involved, a DAC won't work.

Maybe because a call needs a mic, it simply defaults to the onboard as the SoundKey has no mic.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
With phone calls you usually need a microphone and an ADC to digitise your voice, so that's where you need to start.

OP
C

conandrum

Part of USB-C is the Audio Adapter Accessory Mode.

In this mode the device sends analog audio over the USB!

So if this mode is involved, a DAC won't work.

Maybe because a call needs a mic, it simply defaults to the onboard as the SoundKey has no mic.
With phone calls you usually need a microphone and an ADC to digitise your voice, so that's where you need to start.

You both mention the MIC.
1. Do you know if there exists a DAC/AMP that supports mic input?
2. Can we enforce the use of built-in mic while the soundkey is connected? I tried lesser audioswitch (see video I made) but did not work.

Thanks guys.

OP
C

conandrum

You both mention the MIC.
1. Do you know if there exists a DAC/AMP that supports mic input?
2. Can we enforce the use of built-in mic while the soundkey is connected? I tried lesser audioswitch (see video I made) but did not work.

Thanks guys.
PS - I forgot to tell you!
--------------------------
I also tried a phone call with the Cyrus Soundkey and a Galaxy A53 (Android 12) phone and it works perfectly!
So Soundkey is NOT the problem... it must be the android device.
So I went back to the Note 8 (android 9) and installed 'lesser audioswitch' and selected [USB DAC with internal mic] but still phone call switched over to earpiece as soon as the call connected (not to DAC) and refused to switch to DAC during the call!

Top Bottom