• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio interface for DT 900 Pro X (48ohm)

NoobCannon

I've been looking to buy a guitar and figured hooking it up to me PC to be able to use digital amps would be much cheaper and more space efficient than physical ones, so I'm in the market for an audio interface, but man is it ever confusing...

Basically just want something on the budget end (100-200 euro) that can take an instrument input and with a decent headphone output, but the problem—or what I'm confused about—is the output impedance for headphones, as the 900 Pro X's are just 48ohms and I've read that having too high output impedance on an interface can cause problems, the "1/8 rule".

Been looking at the SSL 2, some Behringer U-Phorias, Universal Audio Volt 1, Scarlett Solo (mostly 4th gen but read that might have too high output aswell). Some of these like the Volt is more tempting than others because of the included software.

Would appreciate some input or suggestions on interfaces

staticV3

Master Contributor
Take a look at Julian Krause on YouTube: https://youtube.com/@JulianKrause

He does in-depth measurements of audio interfaces including latency, output power, and output impedance:
Screenshot_20231007-213129_YouTube.png

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had those and they're easy to drive, at 48 ohms you want the output impedance to be 1/8th of your headphones, so 6 ohms on the interface. I tried some IEM's on an all in one that had too high of an impedance and the sound changes, and not in a good way. It should be pretty easy to find an interface you like with under 6 ohms output impedance. Even an Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter will get those louder than you'd feel safe listening at.

OP
N

NoobCannon

Thank you for that chart, surprisingly few that are both affordable and have low output. Might go with the Topping Pro as it has that handy high gain switch incase I decide to get higher impedance headphones in the future

Top Bottom