• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on JBL Sub 550P

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
Hey all, just wanted to share my thoughts on the JBL Sub 550P. I had purchased a pair from JBL's recent sale.

Build quality is very nice. The subs are fairly attractive, relatively compact, and well finished. The driver and box look pretty high quality as well. However I can't recommend the subwoofer even at the discounted (180 dollar) price.

The sub states that it has a frequency response down to 27 hz. There is no way the F3 or even F6 are at 27hz. Room measurements from Audyssey show these drop like a stone below around 40hz (I don't have a calibrated mic so the response won't be terribly meaningful). I would recommend to anyone considering a multi-sub setup to only purchase from manufacturers that post response measurements or subs that have been tested to CEA-2010, and if budget is a constraint to buy subwoofers piecemeal that have significant output at your target frequency.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I would recommend to anyone considering a multi-sub setup to only purchase from manufacturers that post response measurements or subs that have been tested to CEA-2010, and if budget is a constraint to buy subwoofers piecemeal that have significant output at your target frequency.
Good advice, and I hope manufacturers see this.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
G

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
At one point, this was a JBL Synthesis product so it was designed to be run with ARCOS or other EQ.
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/produc...ck-USA-Current&cgid=Discontinued Loudspeakers

Might your lack of a calibrated mic or Audyssey be an issue? Audyssey doesn't do a Harman like curve and you might find that it sounds better with MultEQ app to add in that +6 dB boost around 60Hz and lower.

This is with changing the target curve. Audyssey isn't able to bump the response enough to overcome my room's (probable) 30 hz antimode. It's possible an XT32 implementation would work better. It's also likely these would work better with a miniDSP inline in front of the subs before an automated bass management system. But that increases price and complexity of setup significantly. Rhythmik, SVS, and (to a lesser extent) RSL have meaningful output at 20hz in CEA sweeps in subs around the same size and (retail) price.

I think if this sub had DSP in its plate amplifier or a sufficiently low port it would be great since the BOM is solid.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're on sale again for $199. Someone should consider seeing if @amirm wants to test it. We keep seeing "Preference Score w/Sub" all the time and this is one of the cheaper sealed subs with a return policy.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/SUB+550PBK.html

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sub states that it has a frequency response down to 27 hz. There is no way the F3 or even F6 are at 27hz.
The spec sheet says 27 Hz to 150 Hz (-3 dB) which is a proper specification but it may be possible that it's valid for much lower power only. Also we don't know if it's valid for free field (like Neumann does) or in a room (up to 9 dB gain compared to free field).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PanteraGSTK

I have one of these subs and it's pretty good for the deal price. If you ask too much of it under 30hz I have noticed that the cone vibrates and during scenes that don't have a lot of treble, but do have a lot of low end bass, it is noticeable. I think I'm just asking too much from it.

I did a quick measurement in-room and it does a decent job, but if you need performance under the rated 27hz, you aren't going to get it.

jbl-sub-550-jpg.37674

krott5333

I have one of these subs and it's pretty good for the deal price. If you ask too much of it under 30hz I have noticed that the cone vibrates and during scenes that don't have a lot of treble, but do have a lot of low end bass, it is noticeable. I think I'm just asking too much from it.

I did a quick measurement in-room and it does a decent job, but if you need performance under the rated 27hz, you aren't going to get it.

jbl-sub-550-jpg.37674

For $180 that looks pretty darn good to me.

Top Bottom