• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thomann/Swissonic A306 - Review & Measurements by Erin

testp

more than likely decisions were made 1-3+ months before this review anyway,
that does not mean it's final, maybe new version is coming out or they will start production again seeing the demand rise and reason.
i hardly believe it's chip shortage, that would mean they were selling like cupcakes or something, and they need 10.000 chips???

anywho, they should revise this design, maybe even make small improvements, add some cost, still will be awesome

OK1

I am a bit upset. Why?

I can understand that USB DAC dongles, or IEM's which were given very good appraisals a year or two ago, may be discontinued in the fast paced world of ChiFi. But that is a consumer driven market.

To discover that a speaker product targeted at project and professional studios, is suddenly discontinued, before I had even a few months to get round to pulling the spending trigger on the item, now that is shocking.

I have been a Thomann customer for at least 10 years - a very reputable vendor, for the items that it stocks.

But in a world where many of us live so far away from shops where we can do a proper demo of an item, and in this case, unless I lived near Thomann's warehouse in Germany, I might as well not bother, it brings to light the value of trusted reviews.

I bought my 1st and only studio monitors 21 years ago, purely based on a review in Sound on Sound magazine. They are still kicking - a pair of Alesis M1 Mk 2's. But I thought its about time I considered a replacement within the £400 to £500 a pair bracket, and now this speaker with good reviews, has become unobtanium.

Definitely not happy about this development.

Hope this leads to a much better product replacement soon.

staticV3

Master Contributor
To discover that a speaker product targeted at project and professional studios, is suddenly discontinued, before I had even a few months to get round to pulling the spending trigger on the item, now that is shocking.
ASR member @KLang1, who developed the A306, said that Thomann were simply caught off-guard by the insane demand that the speaker got once Erin's review went live.
The A306 will probably be available again early next year. Thomann would be crazy not to capitalize on the hype that this speaker has gotten.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a305-measurements-by-erin.50700/#post-1822561

Last edited:

Yanec

ASR member @KLang1, who developed the A306, said that Thomann were simply caught off-guard by the insane demand that the speaker got once Erin's review went live.
The A306 will probably be available again early next year. Thomann would be insane not to capitalize on the hype that this speaker has gotten.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a305-measurements-by-erin.50700/#post-1822561
Great news, thanks for putting the dots above i!

Tbh, the A306 is one of those products that are actually worthy of their hype.

I was certain that these would be very good based on Erin's objective tests and personal opinion. But the actual experience clearly exceeded my expectations. Joy.

Last edited:

OK1

The A306 will probably be available again early next year. Thomann would be crazy not to capitalize on the hype that this speaker has gotten.

Thank you. This makes sense. I am comforted, and remain hopeful. We are in a golden age, with much more independent reviews.

OK1

So would anyone mind telling me what advantage my Lintons have over these? No Amp required, cost only 25% of a Linton….
I was listening to the Floyd Toole interview by Erin on Youtube, on Xmas day, and he said, unless one compares speakers in the same manner, its not possible to predict how each will sound, in comparison.

Nevertheless, one can make some predictions. I assume your speakers are the Wharfedale Linton Heritage. If so, then with a bigger baffle, and a larger woofer, in a three way, one would hope that this would lead potentially to a smoother transition across the audio spectrum, i.e 3 drivers instead of 2. With better reproduction of the human voice, in the mid-range.

As homes get smaller due to less land available for development, rooms also get smaller, and some do not have the space for Lintons - which are "big boys". The key difference would also be convergence. The triple drivers of the Lintons would converge at a further distance from the speaker, i.e more suited to mid-field, at least 2.5 meters from the speaker, in my opinion, while the Thomann Swissonic will be easier to deploy in a nearfield listening environment.

My 2 cents.

Yanec

I just got Thomann's reply, sharing it for the record as it contains no sensitive information:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on the product.

We are sorry to inform you that we have received notification from our supplier that the A306 is sold out and cannot be delivered anymore.

Kind regards,
XXX xxxxx

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some progress on my reverse engineering. Most functions and values have now been implemented and I am currently focussing on replicating the necessary I2C addresses for MCU control over the tone and room filter selection.

1703706532940.png

Strictly speaking, we don't need the DIP switches to be functional but I want to leave all of the factory functionality intact if possible. Sigma Studio does not have support for fixed addressing of blocks on the ADAU1701, so this may take a few hours to sort out.

Naturlyd

Maybe reprogram the least useful switch/setting to switch between the inputs . Even if the selection is on the backside of the unit it beats switching cables if you have two sources.

Weeb Labs

Maybe reprogram the least useful switch/setting to switch between the inputs . Even if the selection is on the backside of the unit it beats switching cables if you have two sources.
There's no need to switch sources. They are mixed.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no need to switch sources. They are mixed.
That sounds cool. Did you try playing two sources simultaneously on them? I mean one balanced and one RCA.

What about plugging 2 balanced sources?

Also, what is the use of dip switch #8 ?

Weeb Labs

That sounds cool. Did you try playing two sources simultaneously on them? I mean one balanced and one RCA.

What about plugging 2 balanced sources?

Also, what is the use of dip switch #8 ?
Yes. Channels 1 and 2 on the input block are balanced and unbalanced inputs respectively. The TRS and XLR inputs can not be used simultaneously, as they are connected to the differential-to-single ended conversion circuit in parallel. DIP switch 8 toggles between two input attenuation values for 0.7Vrms and 1.2Vrms inputs, which I have not yet implemented.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIP switch 8 toggles between two input atenuation values for 0.7Vrms and 1.2Vrms inputs, which I have not yet implemented.
Those values seem close to each other. Is that usual in studio monitors?

Weeb Labs

Those values seem close to each other. Is that usual in studio monitors?
Oops. That was just a brain fart that I missed. It should be 0.3Vrms and 1.2Vrms. The switch is intended for inputs meeting the +4dBu and -10dBV standards, which can be delivered in balanced or unbalanced form.

Yanec

Some progress on my reverse engineering. Most functions and values have now been implemented and I am currently focussing on replicating the necessary I2C addresses for MCU control over the tone and room filter selection.

View attachment 337455

Strictly speaking, we don't need the DIP switches to be functional but I want to leave all of the factory functionality intact if possible. Sigma Studio does not have support for fixed addressing of blocks, so this may take a few hours to sort out.
That will be really useful as the A306 is the first monitor I have that cannot be improved (actually becomes a bit worse) by Dirac live, no matter how many variables I try during calibration and target settings. Meanwhile they do react very well to the presets assigned to the dip switches.

OK1

That will be really useful as the A306 is the first monitor I have that cannot be improved (actually becomes a bit worse) by Dirac live, no matter how many variables I try during calibration and target settings. Meanwhile they do react very well to the presets assigned to the dip switches.
This is high praise indeed. Wow.

OK1

The other challenge I have with the Swissonic speakers, which make me hesitate a bit, is :

Reliability - I purchased a pair of Alesis M1 Mk2's in 2002 and they are still working 100% - they may not be the best sounding speakers, but I've shipped them across to an African country, and back again to the UK, as I moved countries, and every time I put them on, I have absolutely no concern, they will work. And I expect them to continue to work, for another 10 or 20 years. I bought them in 2002, for £400, from DV247.

The Swissonic speakers of most interest to me - their three way, and the 8inch woofer, big question, how reliable are these? The anecdotes of faults, including reviews on Thomann's site, is a concern.

bigjacko

I just got Thomann's reply, sharing it for the record as it contains no sensitive information:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on the product.

We are sorry to inform you that we have received notification from our supplier that the A306 is sold out and cannot be delivered anymore.

Kind regards,
XXX xxxxx
Is that a good news or bad news? I thought they are the supplier of the speaker.......Hope they are ramping the production so we can stop checking this thread every day

Yanec

Is that a good news or bad news? I thought they are the supplier of the speaker.......Hope they are ramping the production so we can stop checking this thread every day
Swissonic is the supplier.

It is a Thomann exclusive brand, but they are a standalone German company with quarter of a century experience and 1000+ staff.

Their products are manufactured by the same facilities that produce other audio gear, as for example some popular similarly looking monitors... By adding German engineering Swissonic are often better but without the premium for more popular mass-production brand names.

So, at the end of the day it is the manufacturing facilities that have to catch-up with the Swissonic demand growth while producing for several corporations with multiple brands.

Last edited:

OK1

I'm thinking of another angle to this. From Thomann's side, it's about profit. While it's nice to get great sales from the A306, there is the question of margins.. It could be that the A306 could cannibalize their sales of other monitors with possibly higher margins. But what do I know. A spinorama of the A308 would have been good to have. cos its the same price as the A306, on Thomann.

Thinking aloud, the quest for audio clarity is a never ending rabbit hole, and the speaker is only one component. One has to balance many things

1. What are you listening to - e.g lossy Youtube and free Spotify - is it worth spending on super high quality speakers, or better to pay for a higher quality streaming service, like Tidal
2. Room acoustics, placement, etc.
3. Quality of D/A conversion - albeit, I would like to think that most audio converters released in the most recent 5 years would be adequate - but my own subjective listening tests, have proved otherwise. I can hear differences between objectively measured supposedly identical converters, in this case between a Samsung dongle DAC and an Apple dongle DAC, clearly I hear a difference, but measurement wise, there should be no difference, from published reviews/comparison.
4. Room size/listening distance.
5. Two way or Three way speakers (i.e drivers)
6. Directivity, which can translate into which speaker will be easier to apply some DRC, to improve its performance.
7. Reliability
8. Budget

A brief look at the various speakers in this price range of the A306, such as the JBL305/308, Kali's (various -LP and IN models), Adam Audio TV's, Mackie MR's, leaves me with the impression that every one of these speakers is compromised, to fit a budget. Every review has a - very nice speaker for the price, but it has X, Y, Z flaws. Median price of these will be about £450 per pair (across the various ranges)

It's until one gets to the next level in quality such as the Neumann KH series, the new ones with DSP, at a price bracket 3 to 6 times the cost of the median of the budget speakers, does one get to another level of performance with ruler flat frequency responses straight out of the box, with no tuning, in-built potential for tuning with the manufacturers own microphone, as an option, and the potential to "tune" this even further with custom DRC.

It's great to get to a point where you pick a speaker and accept it's flaws, and just move on - to actually listen to the audio/music for whatever purpose you bought the speaker, and spend the next 5 to 10 years satisfied, with what you have.

The niggling thought at the back of my mind is reliability. Not sure if the Swissonics have that assurance, and I would not want to be a guinea pig, for manufacturing defects, and component failures.

Unfortunately this important criteria of reliability is one that is typically associated with the BRAND. And takes a while to build. My money at the end of the day, unless I had some to spare for an experiment, and I had my fallback/fallforward speakers already, would be - choose as speaker from some more reliable, higher reputation brand, and apply DRC (or just the basic EQ features at the back of the active speaker - which is the most elementary DRC)to even out any anomalies.

Unfortunately Spinorama type evaluations, and all the reviews in the world, tell us very little about the durability/reliability of any product. With cars, I recall after a year or two, one would have reviews which at least gave an impression of use after a while. With speakers, we never have such reviews.

Let's admit, if we had the money - just buy something like a pair of the new Neumann KH 150's and add some DRC, to improve the in-room performance, job done. And if you want room shaking bass, add a sub, or two subs (one per side)

Top Bottom