• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thomann/Swissonic A306 - Review & Measurements by Erin

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000022691.png
1000022693.png
1000022692.png
1000022695.png
1000022694.png

Text data to be updated...

PS: Seems like a very, very competitive offering, especially for EU buyers. Can't really see any flaws here: even the compression and THD are more than OK. Honestly, I used to look down at these speakers : Not a name in the industry, probably no experience or background designing speakers, confidential distribution, branded by an online store... Many things could have gone wrong here. But I stand corrected ! Reliability aside (I do not have any feedback about it), this seems to be some really great budget monitors ! A great alternative to the JBL 305P MkII, for sure. Can't wait to see the A308 measured, I will update this thread when its data will be published.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also can't wait for the 3-way X8 measurements, in this thread also the engineer who tuned them is participating:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Wow. For ca 200bucks a pair. Not bad.

To nit pick: a bit of a dip between ca 200 and 500Hz which could be audible, but given the quite even directivity in this area it might be EQed out especially if one listens near-field. The funny kink at about 2k is probably too narrow to be audible.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't wait to see the A308 measured, I will update this thread when its data will be published
Two things...
First, for some reason, A308 and A306 are priced the same (139€/pc) :
Second, I through that Erin had this (A308) for review, but checking back at his Patreon, it doesn't appear to be the case...:facepalm: To date, he only received A306, A305 and A203BT for testing.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two questions come though to my mind after watching this review, why didn't Erin show also measurements with the +2 dB bass tilt which he preferred in his listening tests like he did with the -2 dB treble and also why there is no mention or comparison with the third "close relative", the Kali Audio LP-6 2nd Wave (yes, the Kalis are more expensive than the JBL and Swissonic but not too much).

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Kali Audio LP-6 2nd Wave (yes, the Kalis are more expensive than the JBL and Swissonic but not too much).
Not quite in the same league, IMHO. That's 398€/pair VS 278€/pair. Probably more comparable when looking at KALI's MSRP in NA VS Swissonic imported. Anyway, we have the data for the KALI as well :
Looks better overall, except for compression and 96dB distortion.

KLang1

Two questions come though to my mind after watching this review, why didn't Erin show also measurements with the +2 dB bass tilt which he preferred in his listening tests like he did with the -2 dB treble and also why there is no mention or comparison with the third "close relative", the Kali Audio LP-6 2nd Wave (yes, the Kalis are more expensive than the JBL and Swissonic but not too much).
It's a lowshelf filter at 150Hz, Q=1, + or - 2dB.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While the speakers sounded good for the little time i had them here i had to send them back because one had to warm up for like 5 minutes before it output any sound (heard a faint clicking noise inside the speaker when I turned it on)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly Erin commented in his facebook group:

A couple things I failed to mention in this video (my bad):

Self-Noise (aka: hiss):
I sequestered myself into the bathroom (hey, it's quiet there, don't judge me) and powered the speaker up. I had to be within about 1 foot away from the tweeter before I could hear any noise at all. In my office I had to have my ear right next to the tweeter to hear any noise from the speaker over my computer's fan noise. In other words, self-noise isn't an issue with this speaker.

Compared to the KALI LP-6v2:
Roughly the same size.
If you’re in the EU, then it looks like KALI would be about 100 Euro more.
If in the US then the KALI would be about $20 more after you factor in shipping from Thomann and IEC cords.
Going on memory I believe the KALI might be a little bit less linear in the upper midrange and treble area. The KALI is more linear in the midbass/midrange region.
Thomann has smoother directivity. Also had little compression while the KALI’s limiter kicks in at the 102dB @ 1m measurements so about 6dB less dynamic range.
Either are still great speakers.

munin

Oh Gosh that's what I've been waiting for, even not knowing about it!
I don't think there is better offer in Europe for a budget pair of speakers! That's incredible.

Thanks for this review!

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Two things...
First, for some reason, A308 and A306 are priced the same (139€/pc) :
Second, I through that Erin had this (A308) for review, but checking back at his Patreon, it doesn't appear to be the case...:facepalm: To date, he only received A306, A305 and A203BT for testing.
Yes very curious about the A308 at that price - finally something cheaper in Europe :D

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I find myself moving to Europe in early 2025, these might be on my wish list.

juliangst

Those T204 also look really interesting at only 129€. But only 50W+30W for that many drivers could be a bottleneck if you want high SPL for anything more than near field. 4,6kg for a powered speaker also seems quite low but it has to be build to a price I guess.
Edit: side woofers are apparently just passive radiators but still a really intriguing design at this price imo.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Let's analyze the YouTube review, using ChatGPT 3.5 (the free one), shall we?

Summary:
The speaker in question is the Tommen Swiss Sonic A36, a two-way powered desktop speaker suitable for nearfield or standard room use. It features XLR and RCA inputs, a unique waveguide for dispersion control, a 6.5-inch woofer, and a 1-inch silk dome tweeter. The speaker has DSP switches on the back for adjustments like wall placement, treble, and bass. Priced at $250 per pair, the review notes additional costs for shipping to the US and the need for a European to US adapter. The reviewer appreciates the sound quality, comparing it favorably to the JBL 306 MK2, with some adjustments made to the default settings for personal preference. The speaker's build quality is described as plasticky, lacking heft, but the overall performance is commended. Objective measurements, including frequency response, distortion, and dispersion, are discussed, highlighting the speaker's strengths and some minor concerns. The review concludes by recommending the speaker, especially for European buyers, and expressing gratitude to Tommen for providing the review unit.

Actionable Steps:
1. **Consider Your Location:** If you are in Europe, the Tommen Swiss Sonic A36 appears to offer good value. For those in the US, be aware of additional shipping costs and the need for a European to US adapter.

2. **Budget Planning:** Factor in the total cost, including shipping and any necessary adapters, to assess if the speaker fits within your budget.

3. **Adjustments for Personal Preference:** The review suggests tweaking the speaker settings based on personal preference. Experiment with the DSP switches on the back, such as treble and bass adjustments, to tailor the sound to your liking.

4. **Comparison with Alternatives:** If you're considering other speakers, especially the JBL 306 MK2, weigh the pros and cons based on your preferences and budget.

5. **Evaluate Build Quality:** Take into account the reviewer's mention of the speaker's build quality. If aesthetics or physical sturdiness are crucial factors for you, this information may influence your decision.

6. **Objective Measurements:** Consider the objective measurements provided in the review, such as frequency response, distortion, and dispersion. This data can help you make an informed decision based on your audio preferences.

7. **Availability of Subwoofers:** If you plan to use a subwoofer, the review suggests that the Tommen A36 integrates well. Confirm if this aligns with your audio setup plans.

8. **Explore Affiliate Links:** If you're inclined to support the reviewer or the channel, check out their affiliate links when making purchases from retailers like Crutchfield, Amazon, or others mentioned.

9. **Stay Updated:** Keep an eye on the reviewer's updates regarding the return or potential ownership of the review unit. This information may impact your decision, especially if there's a chance to acquire the speakers.

10. **Connect with the Community:** If there's an online community or forum related to audio equipment, share and discuss your findings and thoughts about the Tommen Swiss Sonic A36. Others' experiences may provide valuable insights.

Remember, the actionable steps depend on your individual preferences, needs, and circumstances.

Top Bottom