• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thomann Swissonic A305 measurements by Erin

OfficialChill

Erin has published his data for the Swissonic A305. Unfortunately Thomann discontinued the A305, 306 and 308 (maybe even more models) which understandably has made the time measuring and reviewing these speakers largely a waste of time. Why Thomann went through the time and cost to ship these is beyond me - the conspiracist part of me wonders if it was simply to move out the remaining inventory. Regardless I think this is really unfortunate for us, the consumers - especially the Europeans - as it seems like this will probably sour the relationship between Thomann and Erin, putting doubts over the likeliness we'll see any more Thomann own-brands being measured.

CEA2034-Thomann-Swissonic-A305.png

Thomann-Swissonic-A305_360_Horizontal_Polar.png

Thomann-Swissonic-A305_360_Vertical_Polar.png

Thomann-Swissonic-A305-Harmonic-Distortion-96dB-1m.png

Thomann-Swissonic-A305_Compression.png

mton-full.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Unfortunately Thomann discontinued the A305, 306 and 308 (maybe even more models) which understandably has made the time measuring and reviewing these speakers largely a waste of time.

Some of us have only heard of these speakers more recently. I don't get it either. On other hand, if you look at what's going on in China, a lot of businesses are also not doing so well. Could be cost of production is going up and there's just not enough demand to sustain the studio monitor line up? Dunno...

KLang1

Unfortunately Thomann discontinued the A305, 306 and 308 (maybe even more models) which understandably has made the time measuring and reviewing these speakers largely a waste of time. Why Thomann went through the time and cost to ship these is beyond me - the conspiracist part of me wonders if it was simply to move out the remaining inventory. Regardless I think this is really unfortunate for us, the consumers - especially the Europeans - as it seems like this will probably sour the relationship between Thomann and Erin, putting doubts over the likeliness we'll see any more Thomann own-brands being measured.
We have several hundred of A305 and A308 in stock, no worries. Until Erin's review it looked like our stock for the A306 would last 2-3 more months, now it was actually 10 days. At the moment our product managers are swamped, so we'll check for another run after NYE. I doubt they'll stay 'discontinued' with the increased sales.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good measurements and high demand create miracles to bring back discontinued models. ;)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We have several hundred of A305 and A308 in stock, no worries. Until Erin's review it looked like our stock for the A306 would last 2-3 more months, now it was actually 10 days. At the moment our product managers are swamped, so we'll check for another run after NYE. I doubt they'll stay 'discontinued' with the increased sales.
Do you work for Thomann?

MCH

Major Contributor
this is a rare insight on the influence of reviewers like Erin. thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, those A306 gone in 10 days, were also several hundred?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I set up the DSP for these speakers.
Nice! Arguably you could load the EQ to linearize them into the next batch and customers would have them perfected by Klippel NFS measurements as factory default. Very cool!

KLang1

Nice! Arguably you could load the EQ to linearize them into the next batch and customers would have them perfected by Klippel NFS measurements as factory default. Very cool!
There's a dip switch on the back that sets a low shelf filter at 150Hz with Q=1 to -2, 0, or +2 dB.
Set the dip switch to -2 and the response changes to the red line, so already a little better imho:
1703554684570.png

I can't just change the DSP settings for a speaker while were selling them, these aren't Genelec where you can update the firmware. If we'll do that, we have to start a MkII model and then all the reviews and reputation starts at null again. But you can easily eq those speakers yourself :)

modes

What about them programming interfaces? Should we expect these to go out of stock or skyrocket in price? :cool:

OK1

That would be wonderful.

OK1

I am actually more interested in the 8 inch woofer speakers, and especially the 3 ways. Thinking this might just be the Hi-Fi foundation for music listening for the family lounge which I have been postponing for over a decade, at the very least, it would be nice to give audio from the TV, when watching movies or documentaries, some oomph.

Also thinking, if these Swissonic are as good as claimed, they would be a good candidate for a budget Dolby Atmos.

On one hand there are now so many options, from JBL, Mackie, Adam Audio, Kali, Presonus, and now Swissonic, about the same price, which is a good thing, but for analytical people such as I am, means even more research, to avoid picking the wrong one.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A308 really seem like a tempting front ported 8" alternative for smaller european rooms rooms with placement issues. I'm interested how they would score against rear-ported classics like JBL 308P / Adam T8V / M-Audio BX8 D3. A decent front-ported monitor Kali LP-8 is ~100€ pricier here in Europe.

@KLang1 how about convincing colleagues for sending a sample to Amir for a change? Or is the forum too harsh? ..like in dissecting the hell of a capacitor out of every monitor's PCB? ;)

Or maybe provide a Klippel's measurement report directly in the product page? I suspect a company like Thomann either have its own Klippel or have an easy access to one, hm? :)

olymind1

A308 really seem like a tempting front ported 8" alternative for smaller european rooms rooms with placement issues. I'm interested how they would score against rear-ported classics like JBL 308P / Adam T8V / M-Audio BX8 D3. A decent front-ported monitor Kali LP-8 is ~100€ pricier here in Europe.

@KLang1 how about convincing colleagues for sending a sample to Amir for a change? Or is the forum too harsh? ..like in dissecting the hell of a capacitor out of every monitor's PCB? ;)

Or maybe provide a Klippel's measurement report directly in the product page? I suspect a company like Thomann either have its own Klippel or have an easy access to one, hm? :)
And the whole V (5-7-8) series, if we are being thorough. :D (or at least the testers are)

dickiefunk

These are back in stock at Thomann

OK1

These are back in stock at Thomann

Thanks for the info. Really setting the cat amongst the pigeons, these speakers are.

Top Bottom