• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Like no alcohol at all, ever? Are you serious?

It's not that common, but definitely exists. It gets complicated...

Edit: States are divided into counties, with over 3,000 counties in total.

"How many counties in the US are dry?
Today, there are 83 counties in the United States where the sale of alcohol is completely prohibited. Dry counties are home to approximately 1.7 million Americans, or 0.5% of the U.S. population. In many states with dry counties, laws restricting the sale of alcohol have long preceded national prohibition."
https://fluxdeconnaissances.com/information/page/read/278831-how-many-counties-in-the-us-are-dry#:~:text=most dry counties?-,How many counties in the US are dry?,laws restricting the sale of alcohol have long preceded national prohibition.,-What is a

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Today, there are 83 counties in the United States where the sale of alcohol is completely prohibited. Dry counties are home to approximately 1.7 million Americans, or 0.5% of the U.S. population. In many states with dry counties, laws restricting the sale of alcohol have long preceded national prohibition."
https://fluxdeconnaissances.com/information/page/read/278831-how-many-counties-in-the-us-are-dry#:~:text=most dry counties?-,How many counties in the US are dry?,laws restricting the sale of alcohol have long preceded national prohibition.,-What is a

I'm genuinely amazed. Thanks for showing me something I never knew about. I just figured you guys over there had fought for just about everything worth fighting for, in one way or another and the whole 'prohibition' thing I figured was long gone.

I love the US. It always surprises us. 2nd best country on the face of the earth (behind Australia that is). ;)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I'm genuinely amazed. Thanks for showing me something I never knew about. I just figured you guys over there had fought for just about everything worth fighting for, in one way or another and the whole 'prohibition' thing I figured was long gone.

I love the US. It always surprises us. 2nd best country on the face of the earth (behind Australia that is). ;)
Well get ready to be very surprised, America is on the brink of extreme upheaval. Nobody knows which direction it will turn. Going to be a wild ride for sure.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some places in the USA do. Some convenience stores, which are basically gas stations with snacks for sale, have a separate small section for booze and in some locales 24 hrs. What better convenience than to have late night/early morning booze while you also gas up the ride. Of course other parts of the USA don't allow that or after midnight sales or Sunday sales of alcohol. Some counties are still dry and don't allow any alcohol at all. I live near the intersection of 3 counties with one of each, all the time, no late night or Sunday sales, and no sales at all.

It is amazing how much these rules vary over short distances. In college I lived very close to the dividing line between two towns (Champaign, IL and Urbana, IL). We had a gas station right next to our apartment on the Champaign side that unfortunately would stop selling alcohol at 12 am, at the time Urbana would sell until 1 am. We always wished that gas station was located on the other side of the road.

A few years back I was living in the UK and was working nights for a plant shutdown. I would often do my grocery shopping after work at around 6 am at a Tesco near the plant and had no issue buying alcohol at that time. One time I got off work and wanted to have a few beers but realized I didn't have any in my fridge so I tried to pop in to the Tesco Express near my flat and was told that they couldn't sell anything until 7 or 8 am (don't remember) even though it was just one town over from the Tesco near the plant. Felt like a proper alcoholic after being denied a beer purchase at 6 am :).

Michael

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is amazing how much these rules vary over short distances. In college I lived very close to the dividing line between two towns (Champaign, IL and Urbana, IL). We had a gas station right next to our apartment on the Champaign side that unfortunately would stop selling alcohol at 12 am, at the time Urbana would sell until 1 am. We always wished that gas station was located on the other side of the road.

A few years back I was living in the UK and was working nights for a plant shutdown. I would often do my grocery shopping after work at around 6 am at a Tesco near the plant and had no issue buying alcohol at that time. One time I got off work and wanted to have a few beers but realized I didn't have any in my fridge so I tried to pop in to the Tesco Express near my flat and was told that they couldn't sell anything until 7 or 8 am (don't remember) even though it was just one town over from the Tesco near the plant. Felt like a proper alcoholic after being denied a beer purchase at 6 am :).

Michael
Until a couple of decades ago in the UK we still had Sunday trading laws where the bulk of retailers were only allowed to open for something like 5 hours max on a Sunday- the pubs were still allowed to open all day though :p

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
~20 years ago, I lived in the Columbia, SC area, where a large mall sat on a county border. Because the counties had different blue laws, half of the mall opened Sunday morning, while a security gate kept the heathens from shopping on the other side until later in the day.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
~20 years ago, I lived in the Columbia, SC area, where a large mall sat on a county border. Because the counties had different blue laws, half of the mall opened Sunday morning, while a security gate kept the heathens from shopping on the other side until later in the day.

I've lived in places where grocery store liquor departments were gated off like that too.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you actually believe it when it came to loudspeakers?
I did (and still do) believe Markus Wolff when he told me on the phone in 2004 that every single K&H O300D had the drivers FR measured before shipping. That was necessary in case a customer decided later to incorporate the digital crossover.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I did (and still do) believe Markus Wolff when he told me on the phone in 2004 that every single K&H O300D had the drivers FR measured before shipping. That was necessary in case a customer decided later to incorporate the digital crossover.
Both Neumann and Genelec have anechoic measurement for each speaker they ship.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ohio has some odd sales restrictions that sniff too much like religion influencing public policy. In most places, you cannot buy alcohol before 11 on Sundays. It can differ by establishment too though. One local grocery store told me they can sell beer but not wine before 11. Btw, anything harder has to be bought at a state store and they usually have much more limited hours. :rolleyes:

YSC

Major Contributor
Both Neumann and Genelec have anechoic measurement for each speaker they ship.
! somehow I didn't notice that with my 8030C, was it the individual FR in the last page of the quick manual? I thought that was a generic sample measurement and not my own speaker

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
! somehow I didn't notice that with my 8030C, was it the individual FR in the last page of the quick manual? I thought that was a generic sample measurement and not my own speaker
No, that is generic. But every time I test one and go back to them to verify my measurements, they ask me the serial number and show me their measurements. Hence my comment.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but English is not my mother language...

"lc", if "I" is "L", means "letter of credit", right?
I believe it is not "LC; liver cirrhosis" which we usually use in my profession of medical-pharmaceutical field...:)

Or, if it is "IC" with "I" as "i", then I can understand it as "I see"....;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I believe it is not "LC; liver cirrhosis" which we usually use in my profession of medical-pharmaceutical field...:)

LOL while in my professional career in logistics made reading letters of credit mandatory at times, can't imagine that's much of an issue :)

YSC

Major Contributor

It’s I see, but you know, in phone the auto correct will give funny stuffs

YSC

Major Contributor
No, that is generic. But every time I test one and go back to them to verify my measurements, they ask me the serial number and show me their measurements. Hence my comment.
lol, seems they understandably don't want to disclose individual measurement to customers (understood as there's always unreasonable geeks who would say they want an exact pair, so best way is to keep it secret. so I can't ask for my pair's result

Reactions: GDK

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
so I can't ask for my pair's result

Of course you can ask. After all, you spent your money on their product. But they may tell you nothing. And you can recount your experience. It works both ways...

YSC

Major Contributor
Of course you can ask. After all, you spent your money on their product. But they may tell you nothing. And you can recount your experience. It works both ways...
I tried and they say they won't provide such to individual customers, no offense to anything, just my geeky curiousity wasn't satisified this time round

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep.

It sounds like a tautology, but… If there is anything that someone who worked in their previous career of vibration control should know, I would assume it would be vibration control.

@Holmz

Some people need to hear it more than once for it to sink in. Some times the broken record is needed.

Focus, Look where I'm pointing, not at my finger.

@restorer-john,

Yes resilient parts can deteriorate over time. Look at the rubber surrounds on countless speaker drivers that deteriorate over time and need to be replaced.

I used closed cell neoprene foam by 1/4 inch thick gaskets and rubber grommets on the through machine screws to sandwich and isolate drivers on Linkwitz inspired open baffles. The closed cell neoprene and rubber isolation grommets are still intact and still doing their jobs years later.

Sometimes a gentle touch is required in addition to the t-nuts.

Thanks DT

Top Bottom