• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

Holmz

Major Contributor
@Holmz

Some people need to hear it more than once for it to sink in. Some times the broken record is needed.

Focus, Look where I'm pointing, not at my finger.

I am not I follow what you are saying, or where exactly the finger is pointed…?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not I follow what you are saying, or where exactly the finger is pointed…?

So I get an emotional response, not a cognitive one. Sorry that you missed it. At least you did not bite my finger.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The real Sointuva!

Think I should take up an instrument...

jtgofish

All things considered, real wood is about the worst possible wood product to build your speaker cabinet. It is inconsistent in density, and changes in density and dimension in unpredictable ways over time and with ambient temp/humidity conditions. Furniture-derived methods to address this (i.e. let the parts slide around in relation to each other) tend to be detrimental to the enclosure of the speaker cabinet.

A non-trash ply or quality MDF / HDF engineered product are simply better, better to build with, better over time. You can get fancy with veneers.
Sonus Faber have been building speakers out of solid timber for decades.Without any major problems and that is reflected in very high resale value.
Veneered MDF,particle board or even ply can suffer problems such as swelling around joints ,veneer bubbling and ungluing and flaking off and if you try to restore the finish the chances of sanding through the veneer is very high.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonus Faber have been building speakers out of solid timber for decades.Without any major problems and that is reflected in very high resale value.
Veneered MDF,particle board or even ply can suffer problems such as swelling around joints ,veneer bubbling and ungluing and flaking off and if you try to restore the finish the chances of sanding through the veneer is very high.
Which ones? The couple I looked at on their site the structural part of the speakers is plywood. Are particular models all solid wood?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Which ones?
... but then;
As mentioned previously, Sonus faber builds their speakers from MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) rather than solid wood because wood is so resonant.
The enclosure is constructed from MDF rather than natural wood due to the latter’s resonance problems.
Must be their high-end or expensive models that use wood... rather unclear.

JSmith

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
... but then;

JSmith
My ‘low-end’ Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 speakers are curved thanks to kerfing the 3/4” MDF. And the kerf cuts go most of the way through the 3/4” MDF says Danny Ritchie who modified a pair of model 2.5s.
He filled the cuts with putty to dampen any ringing that could result any to just plain make the walls solid again. But pictures of a Sonus Faber factory tour by 6moons appears to show solid wood construction of the boxes in the photos. No idea what model.
John Heisz shows in some testing with an accelerometer that there are minor differences between different box building materials. He did not include solid hardwood though.

jtgofish

Most of the top Sonus Faber stand mount speakers are and have historically been solid wood.
Like these-https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjA7e6c6tn5AhUvRmwGHQWEBnIQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonusfaber.com%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fmaxima-amator%2F&usg=AOvVaw1Gc6J1xsQsv3adqs_zoUuR

Sokel

Master Contributor
... but then;

JSmith
The Olympicas which I owned are MDF.I don't think they use real wood for the structure of any of their speakers,it's the outside they are talking about (which is absolutely perfect).

jtgofish

Blockboard was used for making furniture for hundreds of years before the invention of plywood or MDF.Often it was veneered with exotic timbers.It is a stable product.That is what is used on the March audio speakers.

Prana Ferox

Most of the top Sonus Faber stand mount speakers are and have historically been solid wood.
Like these-https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjA7e6c6tn5AhUvRmwGHQWEBnIQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonusfaber.com%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fmaxima-amator%2F&usg=AOvVaw1Gc6J1xsQsv3adqs_zoUuR
These?

2011_SF_Maxima-Amator_GalleryGallery-Maxima-Amator_07-scaled.jpg

I understand the marketing gimmick but that's not what I would call 'solid wood'. Looks very nice, though.

jtgofish

The Olympicas which I owned are MDF.I don't think they use real wood for the structure of any of their speakers,it's the outside they are talking about (which is absolutely perfect).
They do use real wood.Just look at the end grain on some of their models.You do not get end grain on veneered boxes.

jtgofish

These?

View attachment 225963

I understand the marketing gimmick but that's not what I would call 'solid wood'. Looks very nice, though.
The sides ,tops and bottoms are solid timber.I am a furniture maker so perhaps I can tell the difference.Yes some of their models use MDF front and back panels like this one.

Sokel

Master Contributor
They do use real wood.Just look at the end grain on some of their models.You do not get end grain on veneered boxes.
I only know what I saw on Olympicas III which I owned.
They do have some wood panels (top under the leather and bottom as far as I remember) but if you unscrew the binding post's panel you can clearly see the MDF inside.

Edit: Olympica's are the medium to low series,I honestly don't know their hi-end models.

Curvature

Major Contributor
It doesn't matter. Sonus Fabers aren't very good.

This far off topic anyway. March Audio didn't make any major design errors. He's competent. The only issue as I see it is his temper and defensiveness.

Top Bottom