• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Purifi Eigentakt Is My Dream Amplifier

OP
D

DACslut

I'm sure they are quite good amps, but so much for the simplicity of Class D.
I have a Purifi stereo from VTV with VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps -- it's great :D

But my dream amp? No. That would be the McIntosh MC462. It's beyond my practical asperation and, for that matter, any need, but it is my "dream amp" ...

mc462-lifestyle-hero.ashx

It would be great pair with a McIntosh C2700 tube preamp OR a McIntosh C53 solid state pre ...

c2700-hero-usb.ashx

c53-lifestyle-hdmi.ashx

Did you ever crack open your VTV amp? There were some previous grumblings about their sloppy build quality on here. I hope yours is what I expect to be a very common exception to that problem.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you ever crack open your VTV amp? There were some previous grumblings about their sloppy build quality on here. I hope yours is what I expect to be a very common exception to that problem.
Yes, I've opened my VTV amp. I doesn't seem to have any of the more problematic issues that have been mentioned.

RDSChicago

Quick question for my edification. I just purchased a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas and many say they need gobs of power and current to drive them properly and the fact that there is a resistor in the tweeter rather than a capacitor makes them that much more difficult. They are 88db sensitivity so this in and of itself wouldn’t make them difficult to drive. Someone on another forum said Class D won’t be sufficient to drive them? This doesn’t sound correct.

Would the Purifi Eigentakt have sufficient power to drive these speakers to their potential? I just bought a VTV example.
Thanks.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably a dual monoblock configuration to be specific. The combination of super clean output power, low impedance rating, compact design, simplicity, Class D efficiency, etc., what more can you ask for? Are there any feature-laden integrated amplifiers or receivers based on this design yet?

What's your amplifier fantasy and why?
Why not build your own? A Ghent Case, Hypex SMPS, and Eval 2 board (which is mono), will go together in around 15 minutes, and save you huge bucks. Alternatively, VTV offers fully assembled with Purifi Eval boards for less than the price of kit parts. Either way, you'll probably get better measured performance than these assemblers who add their own buffer boards with custom op-amps which only serve to degrade the performance.

The one custom board that seems to get optimum performance out of the Purifi modules is the Tom Christianson Audio buffer board. It's also mono, so it is a real option to Purifi's own buffer boards.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I've opened my VTV amp. I doesn't seem to have any of the more problematic issues that have been mentioned.
Just reinstall the SMPS so the headshield faces the front panel, shorten up the mains lines, put some techflex over the mains wiring, make sure the ground screw is secure and the wires are securely fixed to the IEC plug, route remaining so its following the shortest signal path, and secure the wiring to the case bottom with cable ties.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just reinstall the SMPS so the headshield faces the front panel, shorten up the mains lines, put some techflex over the mains wiring, make sure the ground screw is secure and the wires are securely fixed to the IEC plug, route remaining so its following the shortest signal path, and secure the wiring to the case bottom with cable ties.

Here's a pic of the inside of my VTV; it's the VTV buffer version, (with Sparkos SS3602 op amps), not the EVAL-1 version. I think it looks pretty tidy.

IMG_20201114_093341903.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your version is better in that the connectors are terminated at the case rather than on the PCB. This is a recipe for breakage.

Well, it is just an evaluation module. If people are silly enough to put it in a permanent case and expect those connectors to last- more fool them.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it is just an evaluation module. If people are silly enough to put it in a permanent case and expect those connectors to last- more fool them.
My understanding is that some peeps have case mounted those eval units. :facepalm:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that some peeps have case mounted those eval units. :facepalm:
I'm one of those peeps. If you're going to be moving things around, constantly plugging and unplugging, sure, I see the point. But if you plan to plug it in, and not move anything b/c it's where you want it to be doing what you want it to do, then not so much.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ribonucleic

The McIntoshes are pretty. But if you're going to get serious about amplification, it's got to be the Boulder 3050 Mono.

Peak Power into 8 ohms: 2100 watts

Total harmonic distortion, 1500 watts into 8 ohms: 20-2 kHz: 0.0005%

Signal-to-Noise ratio, unweighted, 20 Hz - 22kHz: 135 dB

Weight with base: 441 pounds

List price: $205,000

boulder.PNG

Top Bottom