• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's true: however, my subs are different from each other. I would therefore necessarily have to go with 2.1. Unfortunately I have to argue with myself: I have learned to love very basic systems. But above all for 40 years, I have always used the sub only for HT. Where I come from, it seems strange to say, it is not used in 2-channel audio, or rather, it has always been considered for HT and therefore I grew up a bit with that philosophy. In recent years perhaps it is starting to be appreciated. I've been hearing about it so much since reading ASR. So I started to take the first steps: but as with everything, first you need to understand something in order to appreciate the differences or benefits...
I was massively against subwoofers a while back, mainly because everyone I knew that had one had it too prominent and obvious level wise which left me really turned off to the idea.

OP
M

Mikig

I was massively against subwoofers a while back, mainly because everyone I knew that had one had it too prominent and obvious level wise which left me really turned off to the idea.
The risk is precisely that of getting carried away and exaggerating with the level and frequency spectrum. Transforming listening into a predominance of excessively loud low frequencies, thus losing the overall balance. An old friend of mine always told me: sub means below, so you have to configure it for something that your speakers can't give you, otherwise it's superfluous...

Calypso1

It's true: however, my subs are different from each other. I would therefore necessarily have to go with 2.1. Unfortunately I have to argue with myself: I have learned to love very basic systems. But above all for 40 years, I have always used the sub only for HT. Where I come from, it seems strange to say, it is not used in 2-channel audio, or rather, it has always been considered for HT and therefore I grew up a bit with that philosophy. In recent years perhaps it is starting to be appreciated. I've been hearing about it so much since reading ASR. So I started to take the first steps: but as with everything, first you need to understand something in order to appreciate the differences or benefits...

Calypso1

Take your time and do your homework as this is all part of the experience. I am modernizing my system around a preamp and amplifier (separates from 80s) with a streamer/DAC, MiniDSP, KEF LS50 Meta speakers, and headphones. Still to come is getting my old Technics SL1700 integrated.

OP
M

Mikig

Take your time and do your homework as this is all part of the experience. I am modernizing my system around a preamp and amplifier (separates from 80s) with a streamer/DAC, MiniDSP, KEF LS50 Meta speakers, and headphones. Still to come is getting my old Technics SL1700 integrated.
absolutely!! one of the things I like about this hobby is the possibility of experimenting.

Of course, the best thing is to do it with real, proven and scientific guidelines.
The risk is to get lost in the classic glass of water of "playing and hearing how the components sound"...
at a guess I will never finish building my system.... but it is a stimulating and fun risk!!!

Top Bottom