• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classic Integrated Amplifiers!

radix

Major Contributor
wow, thank you very much for all that info.

I've been on the fence on either get a new rotel T11 tuner (because I may get one of their snazzy newer integrated amps down the line), or get an older "charming" 70's tuner to aesthetically match a marantz 1060.

There are some places in the US that will do a proper job on a tuner. Check out Audio Classics (they are mostly Mac gear, but they have other things and a full service repair shop that can properly service the gear).

DanielT

Major Contributor
Are those older pioneer tuners good ?

I'm looking at a tx-7500 fully aligned with a 90 day warrantee with it..............

Seems pricy to me, I'd not think twice if it was a recap, then realignment................
Lots of information about old tuners here. Talk about being enthusiasts::)

DanielT

Major Contributor
And new amplifiers inspired by classic looks are popping up all the time. The demand is apparently there. Quite expensive watts but aside from that just to show an example::)
main.jpg
gb3.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sure, but I wonder. At least with my ears and my speakers. I forgot I had a Pioneer SX777 in storage. Can't remember when or why I bought it. It is rather "unsexy" but it does its job well with its 65 watts.Presumably, since it is not a sought-after HiFi gadget, around $50 for one. I hear no difference between it and Cyrus 1 with PSX power supply.:)

I bet a month's salary that no one can spot this Pioneer SX777 in a blind test VS " High End" amps .., with my speakers (90 dB sensitivity) in a even level dB test.
If we talk about about linear amplification ( not some wanky tube amp) and playing at normal listening volume (60-70 dB) .

The conclusion. It all (almost) depends on the speakers (or headphones).:)
(plus individual abilities to detect differences).

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 317726
Here's a blast from my past. In storage now, because it was too big for what I envisioned in my new, down-scaled, post-divorce living quarters. I also wanted to experiment with a variable sub-output and bookshelf speakers (the E-306v is in storage with the stand mounts it used to drive). Sonically impeccable, I got it in 1998 as an upgrade to the previous I posted.
View attachment 317728
Second one is a brochure picture. One above is mine, back when for a second I tried to sell it and got disgusted by the lowball offers... :-D

Speaking of Accuphase, I can remember when the models appeared on the scene. And speaking of integrated amps, I recall the Accuphase E-202 ...

accuphase-e-202-experience-v0-joktk6img40a1.jpg

See the original brochure HERE. They were a great looking machine if not necessarily all that original in appearance.

I wasn't tempted so much by the integrated but I very nearly bought a P-300 power amp. Instead of the Accuphase I bought a Phase Linear 400; I'm reasonably sure today that the Accuphase would have been the better choice.

s-l1600.jpg

Eric Natural

Just downsized several pieces of gear that I haven't used in a while b/c less is more : CD recorder - backup DVD player - FM tuner - Cassette deck - old amplifier all gone as I haven't played them literally in years. I plugged in my backup circa 1990 NEC A420E amp in place of the HK401 that would not stop humming with my TT in the new house.

Sounds great.
IMG_3443.jpg

The big Sony RtR is only for bling. Unseen are the Monitor Audio Studio6s c.1998 (or various gtrs, mic stands & Yamaha piano elsewhere in the room)
Sources : super cheap BT receiver for Apple Music - Revolver Super/AQ 2 tonearm/Sumiko Pearl/fancy wires - Sony ES975 SACD
Peace

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I still have this classic Kenwood Supreme 600 combo gathering dust. Drove a pair of QUAD ESL-63s, also gathering dust. Nothing quite like the feel of solid metal milled knobs and switches, no plastic here. I should put them up for sale, I suppose.

PB173079.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have this classic Kenwood Supreme 600 combo gathering dust. Drove a pair of QUAD ESL-63s, also gathering dust. Nothing quite like the feel of solid milled knobs and switches, no plastic here. I should put them up for sale, I suppose.

View attachment 356949
I am familiar with the Kenwood integrated amp that you pictured here. It is so so nice inside and the front panel exemplifies and oozes quality in feel, materials, construction and ergonomics. It is truly a piece for collectors and aficionados. What will you ask for it? I suggest you really step up to the plate and ask a high amount because you will get it if this is a excellent example of the model. The only issue I have seen with this model is the volume pot is a gorgeous block assembly made to last although some users persisted in always using it at the same levels and they can develop a tiny tiny wear spot on the potentiometer element and when the wiper crosses that spot the amp emits a tiny tick sound. If the tick sound creates enough energy at the speaker terminals the tweeter(s) will be fried. So if you really want to determine the price you will ask in a confidant honest manner you can slowly and gently with the speakers connected start at zero volume level and then increase the volume very very slowly so you can detect if there is a tiny wear spot or not. If there is not then go harder on the sales price and you'll get it. :D The tuner is beautiful too and works well.

Reactions: MAB

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I am familiar with the Kenwood integrated amp that you pictured here. It is so so nice inside and the front panel exemplifies and oozes quality in feel, materials, construction and ergonomics. It is truly a piece for collectors and aficionados. What will you ask for it? I suggest you really step up to the plate and ask a high amount because you will get it if this is a excellent example of the model. The only issue I have seen with this model is the volume pot is a gorgeous block assembly made to last although some users persisted in always using it at the same levels and they can develop a tiny tiny wear spot on the potentiometer element and when the wiper crosses that spot the amp emits a tiny tick sound. If the tick sound creates enough energy at the speaker terminals the tweeter(s) will be fried. So if you really want to determine the price you will ask in a confidant honest manner you can slowly and gently with the speakers connected start at zero volume level and then increase the volume very very slowly so you can detect if there is a tiny wear spot or not. If there is not then go harder on the sales price and you'll get it. :D The tuner is beautiful too and works well.
Haven't seriously thought about selling at this point. I replaced the big power caps when I got it, and yes, it's quite impressively built inside and out.

The tuna has eight gangs, very selective. One of the coolest things about it is the deviation meter - on NPR, it would swing widely with jazz or classical music. On any commercial station, however, it would sit at max, barely moving; so much dynamic range compression on commercial radio.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't seriously thought about selling at this point. I replaced the big power caps when I got it, and yes, it's quite impressively built inside and out.
I had seen some nice Kenwood gear before this model and when me and this unit crossed paths and when I opened it was impressed a lot. I just loved it to bits..LoL. :D

The tuna has eight gangs, very selective. One of the coolest things about it is the deviation meter - on NPR, it would swing widely with jazz or classical music. On any commercial station, however, it would sit at max, barely moving; so much dynamic range compression on commercial radio.
One thing that I found about my electronics study/training is that they apparently majorly skimped on the RF theory and operation study. I never was required to purchase a ~1500 page hard cover physics textbook like all the other electronics studies that I attended and they instead provided little booklets and photocopied stapled modules from some obscure sources and then skimmed and scanned the various RF standards, radio bands, types of bands used and why they where used. So I understand a lot of stuff about various RF standards etc although when I speak with the old timer techies that remain they know wayyyy more than I about RF theory and operation. The difference is so vast that I simply state my ignorance and listen and learn when in the presence of old timer techies discussing anything RF.
So... I don't know much about the operation of your beautiful Kenwood tuner as a result. :D

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I have installed lamps in my Luxor 7082A , e5 lamp model. Turned out well, I think. :)

I have switched between the Luxor with its 60 watts and a 200 watt power amp. Together with 90 dB sensitive speakers, I hear no difference between them. The speakers, on the other hand, only have 60 watts of power handling, so they are the ones that start to distort if I play too loud, which I actually don't do, given that I want to maintain peace in the neighboring apartments.

Of course, on a few occasions I have tried to max out, but that is only an exception.:)

Edit:
I see dirt around the power button. I have to remove that and polish. It's like having a vintage car that you polish. Albeit much cheaper., ;) :)

IMG_20240330_102652.jpgIMG_20240330_102702.jpgIMG_20240330_103342.jpg

Reactions: MAB

DSJR

Major Contributor
Speaking of Accuphase, I can remember when the models appeared on the scene. And speaking of integrated amps, I recall the Accuphase E-202 ...

accuphase-e-202-experience-v0-joktk6img40a1.jpg

See the original brochure HERE. They were a great looking machine if not necessarily all that original in appearance.

I wasn't tempted so much by the integrated but I very nearly bought a P-300 power amp. Instead of the Accuphase I bought a Phase Linear 400; I'm reasonably sure today that the Accuphase would have been the better choice.

s-l1600.jpg
Late reply - I knew this one well and a dealer pal has one on static display unused for many years - and it was a very good amp lacking the slight 'double cream' effect of it's pre-power brethren (I wasn't the only one to notice this latter but no idea how this difference would measure). Sharp click-clack controls (no Luxman slickness here). Only thing is the switches and controls go noisy even with use, but that's not such an issue to clean them. No idea now after fifty years how some coimponents age/dry out...

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if these qualify.
Exposure XXV RC. Used this amp for decades. I've still got it packed away.
P1000207.JPG

Exposure xxv review.JPG

Kit build from Quantum Electronics. Din sockets! The power amp in the picture is the 207DA, not the 202 in the add.
P1000026.JPG
P1000027.JPG

Quantum.JPG

Just to put it all in perspective...:p
Triumph Trophy 250cc.:cool:
triumph trophy.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I have installed lamps in my Luxor 7082A , e5 lamp model. Turned out well, I think. :)

I have switched between the Luxor with its 60 watts and a 200 watt power amp. Together with 90 dB sensitive speakers, I hear no difference between them. The speakers, on the other hand, only have 60 watts of power handling, so they are the ones that start to distort if I play too loud, which I actually don't do, given that I want to maintain peace in the neighboring apartments.

Of course, on a few occasions I have tried to max out, but that is only an exception.:)

Edit:
I see dirt around the power button. I have to remove that and polish. It's like having a vintage car that you polish. Albeit much cheaper., ;) :)

View attachment 360105View attachment 360106View attachment 360107
Very nice! That silver amp looks good! Real good..

Top Bottom