• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the "The New Advent Loudspeaker" vintage speaker, circa 1977. The sample under test was kindly provided by our own @Dennis Murphy. He has looked it over and replaced a crossover capacitor to make sure it has the value it originally had. The woofer has been professionally reconed. Dennis can add more information here.

This speaker is in reasonably good shape seeing how it is made out of fragile particle board:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the back side but there is a 3-way switch to adjust the high frequencies. Story is that this was to adjust for lack of uniformity of the recordings of the era and not to tune the speaker. I measured the difference as you will see later.

There is a site with a copy of the manual which I highly recommend to check out: https://www.theprojectasylum.com/el...adventspkrbrochure/adventspkrbrochurepg1.html

The manual is not just a manual. It is written as if it is an article for a hi-fi magazine! It is very boastful of its design approach without appearing too arrogant. There is also this bit of advertising about it:

The New Advent Loudspeaker advertising.png

As a woodworker, I detest particle board. It is horrible material and seemingly falls apart by just looking at it. Interesting that it didn't have this negative stigma then.

Fascinating that its max power rating was just 15 watts! I fed it a lot more than that. :)

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of about 1%.

Reference axis was the tweeter center or as best I could determine through the grill. I think I was a bit to the right of the tweeter. The grill was left on.

I picked the middle position (red below) in the switch that is marked as "decrease" for high frequencies based on my setup measurements (and later confirmed by Dennis):

The New Advent Loudspeaker switch effect on frequency Response Measurements.png

The New Advent Loudspeaker Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Response Measurements.png

Bass response is deficient and we have good bit of variations but not as bad as I had expected. Near-field response shows a very slow response for the woofer in crossover region:

The New Advent Loudspeaker driver frequency Response Measurements.png

That then screws up some of the tweeter response.

I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the early reflections are:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Early Window Frequency Response Measurements.png

This almost magically transforms the overall response to a flat one in-room:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Predicted In-room Frequency Response Measurements.png

Alas, we know that such a response subjectively sounds bright. Still, one wonders if this is an accident or by design.

Beamwidth shows lack of directivity control as the large woofer becomes directional before tweeter takes over with its wide response:

The New Advent Loudspeaker horizontal beam width frequency Response Measurements.png

The New Advent Loudspeaker horizontal directivity frequency Response Measurements.png

Vertical directivity is quite tricky. Stay at or below tweeter axis:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Vertical directivity frequency Response Measurements.png

There are two minima in impedance graph:

The New Advent Loudspeaker Impedance and phase Response Measurements.png

Distortion was reasonable at 86 dBSPL but then went to hell at 96:

The New Advent Loudspeaker THD Distortion Response Measurements.png

The New Advent Loudspeaker Distortion Response Measurements.png

This is to be expected of the drivers of the era. The large woofer doesn't have to move much at lower amplitudes so does well. But when asked to moved, it can't do so with the precision of current drivers. Tweeter also falls apart.

The New Advent Loudspeaker Listening Tests
Oh gosh. I always start my listening tests with female vocals and these were unlistenable with the Advent pointed at me. The sound would be Ok and then one part of the vocal would hit a resonant peak (or something like it) and the sound would be so sharp as to attempt to go through you! I had to stop after a couple of tracks. Thinking older music may do better, I played a few Nina Simone tracks. They sounded terrible as well. Lack of bass is a major problem as it accentuates the highs so much.

As a quick experiment, I pointed the speaker straight out and this helped some but by then my mind was so corrupted that I stopped and started to type up this review.

Conclusions
I don't have a lot to offer you. The Advent is not as bad as I thought it would measure. Subjectively it is horrid in my quick l listening tests. Progress in speaker design is real and I am spoiled by that. I let you all discuss the rest. :)

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Advent Vintage Speaker Frequency response.zip
    89.7 KB · Views: 186

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I worked in HiFi from 73-76. On days I worked in the warehouse, when we got in a shipment of these it wore us down. We got them in about 200 - 250 at a time. Could not keep them in stock. I always liked them back then, but what the hell did I know! Double systems sounded pretty good when they had enough power. They were pretty decent for the price back then but I'm not surprised at these results. I would hope stuff is better all these years later.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On selling a lot, the manual says at the time they had sold more than a million speakers! Wow, had no idea they did so much business back then.

komhst

Bass response is deficient and we have good bit of variations but not as bad as I had expected. Near-field response shows a very slow response for the woofer in crossover region:

View attachment 141364

That then screws up some of the tweeter response.

As far as I know they didn't have crossover in the woofer. They let the woofer to roll-off without being cut. They only use cross over in the tweeter and I think it was a single capacitor.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is a flat in room response starting point easy to fix with eq/dsp?
That is ceate a downward tilt?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My original Advent speakers took up too much room in the trunk of my BMW 2002 when moving back and forth twice a year so I bought these. They were good for their size back then.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir and Dennis for the intresting look back in time. It measured kinda ok considering the age. Can't help wondering what a dsp crossover could do for this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dennis said he tried to make a lot more complex crossover for it but at the end, it didn't do any better.

I started to EQ the peaks and it made a decent difference but then thought no one who owns one of these would want to use EQ so stopped. :)

uwotm8

Measurements look surprisingly nice for such speaker.
These are not about "bass" and playing loud as well. Probably meant to be used near or even on a wall, that adds bass support.
Judging them with the same measure (and using same way) as, say, active Adams T5V is strange a bit:)

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The finicky vertical dispersion with a 3-4kHz peak probably doesn't do much good either.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements look surprisingly nice for such speaker.
These are not about "bass" and playing loud as well. Probably meant to be used near or even on a wall, that adds bass support.
Judging them with the same measure (and using same way) as, say, active Adams T5V is strange a bit:)

what's so strange about it? I feel that makes us appreciate what we have in 2021.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is not tested like the Adam. That one I test near field. This is tested far field.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Probably meant to be used near or even on a wall, that adds bass support.
This is a good point. I know that is where I placed my speakers in 1970s.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Seeing this I'd love it someone could send one of those old AIWA or SONY 3-way speakers from the 80's.

uwotm8

This is tested far field
I believe these same as a lot of other models decades ago were designed with wall support in mind.
Also I barely believe that such sound signature can be painfully annoying without MF-HF resonances... It should just lack some lows and feel "bass light". Horrid old speakers I heard all had catastrophic tonality issues at least. These do not. Not sure, maybe just listening too loud? Distortion @96 dB is crazy:)

Reed

I heard a double Advent system at a stereo store when I was in high school in the ‘70s. Impressed the 16 year old me. You have to look at these, and other speakers of the era, as pure nostalgia. For many, they were how we got into the hobby. It might be interesting to measure the AR3 and original L100 as well. And one of those battleship-sized receivers. As for placement, you pointed everything straight ahead and about a foot off the floor.

Top Bottom