• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THE HI-FI SHOW IN AUSTRIA

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Why is everything hooked up to a record player (that all look like they came from the stone age or off a passing train)?

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Because standard audiophile dogma is that vinyl is better than digital, and the more complicated the deck, the easier it is to justify the insane prices

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why is everything hooked up to a record player (that all look like they came from the stone age or off a passing train)?
They think that is what high-end audiophiles want to see. The world is really going backward in audio....

gsp1971

Forum Donor
A CD player, apparently.

omega_essenziale_0691.jpg
It is a CD player and digital processor from Italian company Omega Audio Concepts, which costs approx. €30,000 (that's thirty thousand, no typo)

We've lost the plot.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It is a CD player and digital processor from Italian company Omega Audio Concepts, which costs approx. €30,000 (that's thirty thousand, no typo)

We've lost the plot.
The company's own website is even better. They can't be bothered to quote a single price or specification for anything, but they do have a fancy cursor and state that they have five levels of cables each with better sound.

This inspiring quote on the front page of that website, the English version, tells us they do science, though...

For more than thirty years, Omega Audio Concepts has been manufacturing advanced audio systems designed to encourage the best possible listening experience. It combines passion and research with the study of sound principles of physics such as Ohm’s Law, Theoretical Limit, and Space-Time Event.

If you want to know more, they have a form where you can...

1700466229557.png

Regardless of their products, they need a new website design company.

EDIT - I'm slightly wrong, they do quote the weight of their loudspeakers.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
The company's own website is even better. They can't be bothered to quote a single price or specification for anything, but they do have a fancy cursor and state that they have five levels of cables each with better sound.

This inspiring quote on the front page of that website, the English version, tells us they do science, though...

If you want to know more, they have a form where you can...

View attachment 327993
Regardless of their products, they need a new website design company.

EDIT - I'm slightly wrong, they do quote the weight of their loudspeakers.
:) Yes, I saw the fancy circular cursor and the Contatatatatact Us spelling!

Anatols_Dad

Forum Donor
They think that is what high-end audiophiles want to see. The world is really going backward in audio....
Maybe I didn't understand your statement correctly, but I suppose many of us audiophiles (including myself) still have a large to very large collection of vinyl records and cd's they want to (understandably) keep using - ideally in a much better quality than say 10 or more years ago -, IN ADDITION to adopting new (digital) formats, which is naturally the further way to go...
Of course that doesn't justify the crazy excessive degeneracies we saw at this show.

Last edited:

Anatols_Dad

Forum Donor
I was told that the Vienna Audio Show might become a regular thing in future, there are talks going on, because the show was well attended despite having been hardly advertised in Vienna (many came from further away). That was why the admittance was free, which was something I had never experienced beforehand.
Hardly any young people were to be seen, btw.

I was pleasantly surprised that at least a few of the running "extreme" setups/components at the show were actually powered with cheap/conventional power cords

Arm thick cables, power conditioners and filters could be found nearly at every stand (btw Musical Fidelity has a lineup of 4 new conditioners - they showed two at the show; with eye-watering prices...).

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Arm thick cables, power conditioners and filters could be found nearly at every stand (btw Musical Fidelity has a lineup of 4 new conditioners - they showed two at the show; with eye-watering prices...).
The show must go on ...

oscar_dziki

We've lost the plot.
I'm sure you guys will be super surprised when I tell you, that Omega Audio Concepts shares no measurements of their products (including this marvelous CD player) on their website. Oh, and by their own admission, they started their business creating 'Connection systems'
https://www.omegaudioconcepts.com/

AdrianusG

AdrianusG

We've lost the plot.
One statement is absolutely true though, and this doesn't just go for wives i think.

"I think the Stream is absolutely the device with the lowest WAF I've ever met. Extreme even here!"

Karl-Heinz Fink

Technical Expert
I was told that the Vienna Audio Show might become a regular thing in future, there are talks going on, because the show was well attended despite having been hardly advertised in Vienna (many came from further away). That was why the admittance was free, which was something I had never experienced beforehand.
Hardly any young people were to be seen, btw.

I was pleasantly surprised that at least a few of the running "extreme" setups/components at the show were actually powered with cheap/conventional power cords

Hi,
The Finest Audio shows organized by the High-End Society are always free. It's a local show for consumers - Munich is more of a B2B show. This Vienna exibition was a bit different - bigger than other local shows in Germany. The ACV is an excellent place for a show.

And I have seen younger people for sure......I stayed there all the time and did half of the demos in my room myself. Altogether, I feel the show was a success, and we will return next year. We saw a lot of friendly visitors, sitting for a while and listening to the music. Less of the "we know everything better" type of "experts" you see so often in other shows in Germany.
We had the first Eversolo DMP-A8 available in Europe as a source. Great unit, and I like the sound of the D/A. (Even so, we used it only as a transport during the show)

es7.jpg

Top Bottom