• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bedroom hifi (recommendations)

bh69

Hi,

I'm looking for the most suitable hi-fi for the bedroom. I went through a lot of shops, reviews and discussions, but I can't find any optimal solution. So I'm asking for advice and ideas.

I am attaching the diagram of the room. It is not exactly optimal, the location must be on the wider side, on the sides of the windows and a bit asymmetrical. In addition, there is not enough space to place classic floor or stand speakers. Therefore, speakers on the wall would be ideal.

What I demand

- playback of FLAC from a locally connected USB stick or external disk

- internet radio playback

- TIDAL (FLAC) could be useful in the future

- non-fatiguing, musical sound, high quality and clear enough for listening to classical music

- night listening at low volume

- convenient control (ideally with a remote control without the need to use a smartphone or tablet or the need to get up and go to set something according to the display on the amplifier or streamer), but at the same time, the possibility of control via smartphone or tablet would be welcome

Despite all the searching and coming up with combinations, I always came across some flaws or inconvenient controls. So far, the only set that would meet my requirements is the Marantz PM7000N with Dali Oberon On-wall speakers.

Pluses

+ it seems to fulfill all the functions I require

+ the amplifier and speakers have positive reviews

Cons and doubts

- the only measurement I found for the PM7000N shows a fairly high proportion of higher harmonics (-60dB) - the question is whether the measurement is reliable and how such values will be reflected in the required quiet listening

- The HEOS app allegedly doesn't load the directory structure on the USB stick and doesn't work correctly with the tracks order - that would be a pretty major problem

- speakers tend to be too "bright" - but this should only apply in the axis, when listening at an angle it should be OK. It could also be solved by correcting the heights on the amplifier. Still, it can be tiring and also problematic in a room with not enough dumped walls ?

I also considered other possibilities

- tablet -> OTG USB -> DAC (Topping D10 ?) -> AMP (Topping PA5 II ?) - would be a bit cheaper, audio quality can be better (?), but comfortable control from bed would be difficult to solve

- streamer with volume control - but which one? (I like the Wii, for example, but it doesn't have a local USB for connecting a USB stick) and active speakers (studio monitors) - which ones could be put on the wall?

Thanks in advance for the advice

1703833845071.png

Last edited:

Witterings

I think the hardest part of your requirement to fill will be the amount you can do with just a remote control as virtually all the systems are heading towards phone / tablet and just basic controls from a remote ... if it has one .... and the displays without phone / tablet will be limited / difficult for searching through your local library.

You could possibly look for an amp with an Eversolo dmp-a6 or a8 streamer to give you the storage and display.

If you decide you can live with using your phone for anything other than basic controls I'd possibly look at the WiiM Amp which I think has a USB for stored music as well or a Bluesound Powernode or Powernode Edge .... both can be used with remotes and various favourites stored for quick / easy access.

If you want to massively open up your choice of speakers how about using wall mounting brackets for bookshelf / standmounts?

iLoveCats

I've had Kef LS50's on these wall brackets for a few years now. These could open you up to a lot of speaker choices other than on-wall.

OP
bh69

bh69

I think the hardest part of your requirement to fill will be the amount you can do with just a remote control ....
I want to control only basic things - on/off, volume, source, play/stop/next track, favourite preset via number - as PM7000N seems to allow
You could possibly look for an amp with an Eversolo dmp-a6 ..
it would be interesting with active speakers. but it has no remote, even for on/off/volume. if placed by hand it would be ok, but I can not put
wires across room to speakers ..
If you decide you can live with using your phone for anything other than basic controls I'd possibly look at the WiiM Amp
I saw review - it has stability problems and reported hum ...
If you want to massively open up your choice of speakers how about using wall mounting brackets for bookshelf / standmounts?
yes, but if pkeakers need some space from wall, it doesn't solve problem of narrow room. only if I would place them very high, near ceiling

Smitty2k1

Wiim Pro Plus feeding a Vanatoo Transparent Zero or Transparent One?

Wiim comes with a remote but not sure what functionality is included. Vanatoo speakers measure well and have built in DSP, a remote, and Bluetooth. They also have nice bass management if you want to add a sub.

Edit: I see you have a need for playing files off a USB stick or flash drive. Is it possible to use a PC elsewhere in the house and connect to it via the Wiim? For example I use LMS as my media server on a PC that stores my digital audio files and my Wiim connects to that natively. Alternative I'm sure someone makes a basic audio device that accepts a USB input and has a digital output (could make one from a Raspberry Pi)

Last edited:
OP
bh69

bh69

Is it possible to use a PC elsewhere in the house and connect to it via the Wiim? For example I use LMS as my media server on a PC that stores my digital audio files and my Wiim connects to that natively.
that's exactly what I want to avoid - I don't have and don't plan to have a NAS and I don't want to leave the PC running all night so that I might accidentally want to listen to music at night .. I just want to simply choose and copy a few albums on a flash drive, insert it into a hifi device and play
Alternative I'm sure someone makes a basic audio device that accepts a USB input and has a digital output (could make one from a Raspberry Pi)
Rapsberry could be a way, but can be a bit tricky to get working as demanded (remote control for example) ? I still prefer some ready and verified solution instead of DIY

Smitty2k1

that's exactly what I want to avoid - I don't have and don't plan to have a NAS and I don't want to leave the PC running all night so that I might accidentally want to listen to music at night .. I just want to simply choose and copy a few albums on a flash drive, insert it into a hifi device and play

Rapsberry could be a way, but can be a bit tricky to get working as demanded (remote control for example) ? I still prefer some ready and verified solution instead of DIY
I don't know of any but certainly there must be a basic digital audio player out there with SD/USB input and a decent digital output.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
What about an Denon X3800H?

Yes it is an AVR and you only need 2 channels, but it combines everything in one box as the Marantz, but adds the so important room correction and EQ capability (you can easily tune it to “warm” sounding preference). It is has been measured here in this forum and is most likely better measuring than the Marantz. You can stream Tidal, Quobuz etc. especially when using the Mconnect or the BubblePNP apps instead of Heos. It is plug and play pretty much as opposed to having separate components.

As for speakers, have a look at those KEF LS50, which have been mentioned before.

Triliza

Forum Donor
If convenient on controlling the system is your main requirement, maybe you should look at some systems that can be controlled by vocal commands. Not exactly hi-fi, but not bad either, something like a stereo pair of Google Nest Audio could do the trick. I don't know how you could play local music on it, but surely there will be solutions if needed.

Or something like Sonos, never had or seen one but I suppose it may be able to do something like what you are asking for.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[WiiM Amp] has stability problems and reported hum ...
Yeah, bless that reviewer! But you can't buy those right now. I expect/hope/pray that the actual production will fix those issues. Even as-is the value for $250 is considerable.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I also considered other possibilities
Have you considered Wireless speakers? If not, look into them. There are several very good wireless speakers that include streaming, amplification, etc. Pick your price point, and then checkout reviews of wireless speakers at that price point. Check both here and Erin's Audio Corner.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an Amazon Echo Studio and an Echo Sub in my bedroom. It sounds pretty decent and can be controlled by voice or by the Alexa app on my phone. Not exactly hifi, but simple to setup and it does sort of adjust itself to the shape of the room similar to the way an "Atmos" soundbar works. EQ and sub settings are in the Alexa app.

Edited: I moved another Echo Studio to the bedroom just now and paired it with the other Echo Studio and Echo Sub. It sounds better with them paired. Still not hifi, but good enough for the bedroom. Amazon does not provide any way to set the left/right balance for paired Studios. Have to do that by moving them around manually to find the right spots. The smaller echo units can also be paired the same way.

If you want really great hifi sound in your bedroom, this option will not provide it. If you want decent sound and wireless (except for power) voice or app controlled speakers, it does work and the sound will definitely fill the room.

Yes, I have too many echo devices. Every room has at least one and the majority of my lights, thermostat and other things can be controlled by voice or routines. I don't listen to music on most of them, but it is possible to say "Alexa, play (Group name or playlist name) everywhere" and all of the devices will play the same thing at the same time. It doesn't sound great, but it works.

The newer Echo Dots (the spherical ones) can also function as wifi extenders if you have an Eero wifi mesh system. I don't work for Amazon, and I'm not trying to sell anything. I just like the functionality of some of their stuff.

Last edited:

Witterings

I have an Amazon Echo Studio and an Echo Sub in my bedroom. It sounds pretty decent and can be controlled by voice or by the Alexa app on my phone. Not exactly hifi, but simple to setup and it does sort of adjust itself to the shape of the room similar to the way an "Atmos" soundbar works. EQ and sub settings are in the Alexa app.

Edited: I moved another Echo Studio to the bedroom just now and paired it with the other Echo Studio and Echo Sub. It sounds better with them paired. Still not hifi, but good enough for the bedroom. Amazon does not provide any way to set the left/right balance for paired Studios. Have to do that by moving them around manually to find the right spots. The smaller echo units can also be paired the same way.

If you want really great hifi sound in your bedroom, this option will not provide it. If you want decent sound and wireless (except for power) voice or app controlled speakers, it does work and the sound will definitely fill the room.

Yes, I have too many echo devices. Every room has at least one and the majority of my lights, thermostat and other things can be controlled by voice or routines. I don't listen to music on most of them, but it is possible to say "Alexa, play (Group name or playlist name) everywhere" and all of the devices will play the same thing at the same time. It doesn't sound great, but it works.

The newer Echo Dots (the spherical ones) can also function as wifi extenders if you have an Eero wifi mesh system. I don't work for Amazon, and I'm not trying to sell anything. I just like the functionality of some of their stuff.

I have 4 Echo's around the house but none in the bedroom .... don't fancy the idea of someone being able to listen into my other night time activities, the amout of loud sceaming it could be mistaken for something else :D:D:D

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 4 Echo's around the house but none in the bedroom .... don't fancy the idea of someone being able to listen into my other night time activities, the amout of loud sceaming it could be mistaken for something else :D:D:D

Plug them all into wifi plugs. Then just say "Alexa, turn off the bedroom".

Top Bottom